|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3 – 4 .
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author claims in Chapter 1, "A friend argues that Americans battle between the 'historical self' and" what?
(a) "The 'cultural self.'"
(b) "The 'future self.'"
(c) "The need for power."
(d) "The 'self self.'"
2. What does the word "iterate" mean in Chapter 4?
(a) To perform or utter repeatedly.
(b) To deceive or lie.
(c) To deplete.
(d) To conjure or invent.
3. In Chapter 1, the author begins with the statement, "When you are alone and too tired even to turn on any of your devices, you let yourself linger in" what?
(a) "A past stacked among your pillows."
(b) "Your memory, vessel of your feelings."
(c) "A white cloud of rain."
(d) "A desperation that you cannot name."
4. The author describes hearing two men outside a conference room in Chapter 3, when one says to the other that "being around black people is like" what?
(a) "Being amongst fellow compatriots."
(b) "Watching a foreign film without translation."
(c) "Wandering alone in a desert."
(d) "Being in a pool of fish."
5. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a sentimental longing for the past?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the world say about memory and the past, according to the author in Chapter 4?
2. What does the author describe the passenger in her car telling her in Chapter 1?
3. When does the author first describe watching the Women's U.S. Open final in Chapter 2?
4. What does the author's friend say when the author is questioned by the cashier in Chapter 3?
5. What does the real estate woman repeatedly say to the author's friend when she is showing the author her house in Chapter 3?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)