|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1 – 2 .
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What film does the author describe seeing with a friend in Chapter 1?
(a) The Color Purple.
(b) Tomorrow's Child.
(c) The House We Live In.
2. What is the name of Serena Williams's sister?
(a) Marie Williams.
(b) Sarah Williams.
(c) Angela Williams.
(d) Venus Williams.
3. Who is the researcher that came up with the term "John Henryism"?
(a) Chris Marker.
(b) Sherman James.
(c) Glenn Ligon.
(d) Mariana Alves.
4. What does the author describe the passenger in her car telling her in Chapter 1?
(a) "That his work was examining race in America."
(b) "That his dean is making him hire a person of color when there are so many great writers out there."
(c) "That his wife is leaving him for the dean with whom she's been having an affair."
(d) "He didn't care for his family or his friends."
5. Who is the "distinguished tennis chair umpire" described in Chapter 2 as "the most notorious of Serena's detractors"?
(a) Jayson Musson.
(b) Zora Neale Hurston.
(c) Chris Marker.
(d) Mariana Alves.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes Hennessy Youngman in Chapter 2, saying that "He advises black artists to cultivate" what?
2. The author writes in Chapter 1, "You are reminded of a conversation you had recently, comparing the merits of sentences constructed implicitly with 'yes, and' rather than" what?
3. Who is the performer who invented the persona of Hennessy Youngman?
4. What tennis superstar expressed his shock that Serena Williams was able to hold it together after losing the semifinal match in the 2004 Women's U.S. Open?
5. Where does the author describe being when she confronts a man for calling a group of teenagers "niggers" in Chapter 1?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)