|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author writes in Chapter 1, "If this were a domestic tragedy, and it might well be, this would be your fatal flaw." What is the fatal flaw she describes?
(a) "Your blackness."
(b) "Your ambition and hopes for progress."
(c) "Your memory, vessel of your feelings."
(d) "Your belief in a system of justice."
2. What word in Chapter 4 refers to a contemplative person?
3. What radio host is cited by the author in Chapter 3 for insulting a women's basketball team with racist slurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Don Imus.
(b) Glenn Ligon.
(c) Howard Stern.
(d) Alex Jones.
4. Where does author Claudia Rankine teach?
(a) Pomona College.
(b) Brown University.
(c) The University of California, Berkeley.
(d) Princeton University.
5. On what date did the center of Hurricane Katrina pass southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana?
(a) August 4, 2011.
(b) August 29, 2005.
(c) June 26, 2005.
(d) February 26, 2012.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word used in Chapter 5 refers to a caste in Hinduism specializing as priests, teachers, and protectors of sacred learning?
2. What word from Chapter 5 means censored or obscured?
3. What does the author claim that moaning elicits in Chapter 4?
4. When was the film Beau Travail released?
5. The author writes in Chapter 1, "You are reminded of a conversation you had recently, comparing the merits of sentences constructed implicitly with 'yes, and' rather than" what?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)