|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mac say is about to commandeer his land in the Epilogue?
2. What fatal wound does Magdalena suffer in the book?
3. What does Magdalena do when a woman offers to help her from going back to the White Lake in Chapter 3?
4. Where does John Grady fall asleep after running away after murdering Eduardo?
5. Where does Magdalena wake up after having a seizure in a cab in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the information John Grady tells Billy just before he dies?
2. How does John Grady describe Magdalena's escape plan to her?
3. How is John Grady and Eduardo's knife fight described?
4. How does Billy survive when he travels to New Mexico in the epilogue?
5. How does John Grady discover that Magdalena has died?
6. What is the nature of Billy's conversation with a police officer after discovering Magdalena was dead?
7. How does Magdalena react when a woman offers to help her after she escapes from the hospital?
8. How is the dream of a stranger described to Billy in the epilogue?
9. How are Billy's actions described when he goes to the White Lake after Magdalena's death?
10. How does Magdalena end up in a hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of sacrifice that is presented in the book. Why does John Grady decide to sacrifice everything he has in order to have Magdalena, and what can we learn about the nature of his character based on his acts of sacrifice?
Essay Topic 2
Horses play a starring role in many parts of the book and allow the reader to better understand the book's characters based on their treatment of these animals. Part 1.) What do horses appear to mean and represent to the cowboys in the book, and what role do they play in their everyday life? Part 2.) Considering this role, what can we learn about John Grady's motivations when he decides to sell his horse in order to marry Magdalena? Part 3.) How does the author use horses as a way of judging the character of the cowboys?
Essay Topic 3
The nature of reality is analyzed throughout the book and is the central theme presented by the author in the book. Part 1.) What elements does the author use to create a realistic portrayal of the characters in the book and the experiences they have, and are they successful? Part 2.) What personal details and emotions are we able to feel towards the characters based on the elements of reality used by the author? Part 3.) How does the author bring reality into perspective when Billy is given a second chance at the end of the book?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)