|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does John Grady spend fixing up the house for he and Magdalena to live in?
2. What does Billy do with John Grady's body after he dies?
3. What happens to an animal two cowboys catch with separate ropes in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Billy go searching for John Grady at after he discovers Magdalena has died?
5. What state does Billy travel to at the very end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the blind man's response to John Grady when he asks him to pray for him?
2. How are John Grady and Billy able to coerce their horses to go to the top of the mesa?
3. What is the nature of the information John Grady tells Billy just before he dies?
4. How does Magdalena react when a woman offers to help her after she escapes from the hospital?
5. Why does the blind man refuse John Grady's request that he be Magdalena's godfather?
6. What happens when Magdalena gets into the car at the cafe with the person she believes was hired by John Grady?
7. What is the nature of Billy's conversation with a police officer after discovering Magdalena was dead?
8. What happens when Magdalena has a seizure while she is with a client in Chapter 3?
9. How is John Grady's renovations on his new house described?
10. How does John Grady describe Magdalena's escape plan to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of the concept of escape in the book. What symbolic meaning might the author wish for Magdalena and John Grady's attempts at escaping their own reality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of disease in as an important theme in the book. What might the author be saying about the nature of Magdalena's character given the fact that her disease defined much of her actions and experiences in life? In this respect, what symbolic meaning might disease have in the book regarding Magdalena?
Essay Topic 3
Horses play a starring role in many parts of the book and allow the reader to better understand the book's characters based on their treatment of these animals. Part 1.) What do horses appear to mean and represent to the cowboys in the book, and what role do they play in their everyday life? Part 2.) Considering this role, what can we learn about John Grady's motivations when he decides to sell his horse in order to marry Magdalena? Part 3.) How does the author use horses as a way of judging the character of the cowboys?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)