|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Mr. Johnson and Margaret?
2. What nationality are the group of people Billy stops on the side of the road to help in Chapter 1?
3. How much does John Grady plan on paying Eduardo for Magdalena?
4. Who does Magdalena send a message to John Grady through when she cannot see him at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. What is wrong with the group of people's car that Billy stops to help in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John Grady's first impression of a young Mexican girl he sees at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Troy say he is thinking about doing while on a long drive with Billy near the beginning of the book?
3. What happens when Troy and Billy pass a group of Mexicans broken down on the side of the road?
4. How does John Grady react when a man offers him work after helping him identify a lame horse?
5. How does Mac choose his horses at the auction he attends in Chapter 2?
6. How does Magdalena tell John Grady she came to be a whore?
7. How does Billy describe a fight between his brother Johnny and their father before his brother's death?
8. What happens to Magdalena after she spends her first night with John Grady?
9. What happens when a man brings his horse to be trained at Mac's ranch in Chapter 1?
10. What is the nature of Mac's thoughts after attending the horse auction in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is an important theme presented in the book, namely through the characters John Grady and Billy. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of characters like Billy and John Grady based on the impact friendship plays in their lives throughout the book? Part 2.) What might the author wish to comment on regarding friendship based on his portrayal of the friendships developed among the cowboys? Part 3.) What lessons might we learn regarding friendship based on Billy's experience in the last parts of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of having conversations in the book. What important role does John Grady's conversations with others, especially Mr. Johnson, have in our ability to better define the nature of his character and what motivates him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of disease in as an important theme in the book. What might the author be saying about the nature of Magdalena's character given the fact that her disease defined much of her actions and experiences in life? In this respect, what symbolic meaning might disease have in the book regarding Magdalena?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)