|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lilly think her son Jack is inviting to lunch?
2. What happens about Hogan's Outfitters when Benny and Annabel go to see the lawyer?
3. Who asks Mrs. Healy to marry him and she accepts?
4. Why does Nan invite Benny to lunch at the Hibernian?
5. Why is Jack upset when he talks to Benny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Eve and Benny not happy with Nan's seeing Simon?
2. What is Jacks suggestion to Benny when they can go around together in Dublin?
3. What is the resolution for Benny at the end of the novel?
4. How does Jack show his naivety after being at the cottage three times with Nan?
5. How does Sean manipulate an invitation to the Hogan's house for Christmas?
6. What do Benny and Annabel learn about the lawyer?
7. What is the exchange between Jack and Benny the morning after Jack took Nan to a dance?
8. What does Emily find in Nan's room that indicates her ambition to join high society?
9. What do Heather and Benny do when Benny finds her at the cottage?
10. What does Benny learn from Eve about where Jack and Nan went for their trysts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Dysfunctional Families. (1) The Mahon family is the most dysfunctional because of Brian's alcoholism. Explain in detail why that is, speculating whether Nan would have been the same had her family life been better. (2) Even good families have times of dysfunction as in the case with Dr. Foley's family with his wife's insecurity. (3) The Westward family's dysfunction has literally destroyed the family unit. Your essay should discuss in detail the dysfunctions of each of these families and point out the results of those problems.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Dealing With Death in Circle of Friends. First, describe how Kit needs Mother Francis' help to deal with the death of her son, Frank; and next, describe how Benny and Annabel deal with Eddie's death by depending on each other. Conclude with the part good friendships play during times of tragedy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the value of Loyalty Among Friends. Divide the essay into three main points--the need for friends; the effects of disloyalty among friends; and what is gained by being loyal to a friend.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)