|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nan say about Eve after she is coy about the outing?
2. What happens about Hogan's Outfitters when Benny and Annabel go to see the lawyer?
3. What is the question about ownership of Hogan's Outfitters?
4. What is ironic about Nan and Simon getting together?
5. Whose death becomes the talk of the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Heather and Benny do when Benny finds her at the cottage?
2. How does Jack show his naivety after being at the cottage three times with Nan?
3. How does Benny get home to Knockglen after the news arrives that her father has died?
4. What advice does Dr. Johnson give Annabel when Eddie dies and why does he give it?
5. What is the meeting like at the cafe when Kit and Joseph are there?
6. How does Sean manipulate an invitation to the Hogan's house for Christmas?
7. Why are Eve and Benny not happy with Nan's seeing Simon?
8. What is Jacks suggestion to Benny when they can go around together in Dublin?
9. Thinking about Jack and Nan, how close does Benny come to the real truth?
10. What does Nan do when she is sure she is pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Simon Westward's Money Problems. Discuss the two sides of Simon--his willingness to help Eve with her tuition money and Heather's obvious affection for him as contrasted with his dalliance with Nan while still pursuing the English widow in order to get the money to save his family's estate. Conclude with an observation about how financial problems often affect the personality of the people who have them.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Benny as an Unlikely Heroine. (1) Define her strengths and weaknesses. (2) Explain why you think
Maeve Binchy chose a girl like Benny to be the central character of the novel. (3) How do you see Benny as the epitome of a good friend? (4) Discuss Benny as
an overprotected young lady who acquiesces to her parents' rules.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on The Psychology of Sean. First, contrast how Sean ingratiates himself with Eddie but the young Benny and Eve instinctively dislike him; Next, discuss his lack of conscience as he systematically embezzles money from Eddie; Finally, show his opportunistic marriage to Mrs. Healy. Conclude with your evaluation of how Binchy deals with his character.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)