|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the question about ownership of Hogan's Outfitters?
2. What is Simon's response when Nan says they should marry?
3. What is the close call Jack and Nan have in Knockglen?
4. Why does Jack pull of the road on the way to take Benny to Knockglen?
5. Where do Nan and Jack wake up together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foils Nan's plans to tell Jack she is pregnant at Eve's cottage?
2. What is the exchange between Jack and Benny the morning after Jack took Nan to a dance?
3. Why are Eve and Benny not happy with Nan's seeing Simon?
4. What advice does Dr. Johnson give Annabel when Eddie dies and why does he give it?
5. How does Jack show his naivety after being at the cottage three times with Nan?
6. Thinking about Jack and Nan, how close does Benny come to the real truth?
7. What is the resolution for Benny at the end of the novel?
8. What does Nan do when she is sure she is pregnant?
9. What do Benny and Annabel learn about the lawyer?
10. How does Benny get home to Knockglen after the news arrives that her father has died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the Symbolism of the Cottage in Circle of Friends. (1) How does the cottage symbolize permanence for Eve? (2) How does it symbolize security for Heather? (3) How does the cottage symbolize betrayal? Go into detail with these three points by pointing to passages from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on The Character of Benny in Circle of Friends. Divide the essay into three main points--Benny physically, Benny mentally and psychologically, and Benny at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on My Recommendation for Circle of Friends. In your essay that either recommends the novel or not, be specific in your reasons. Deal with (1) the plot line and sub plots; (2) the development of the characters; and (3) the use of complications. After analyzing the story, put your recommendation at the end of the essay.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)