|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prevents Kit from coming to Knockglen for Christmas?
2. Who does Lilly think her son Jack is inviting to lunch?
3. What was Mr. Flood's strange ailment before he is cured?
4. What happens about Hogan's Outfitters when Benny and Annabel go to see the lawyer?
5. Who shows up to drive Eve and Heather on their outing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily find in Nan's room that indicates her ambition to join high society?
2. Why does Eve say they have to tell everyone about Jack and Nan?
3. What is Jacks suggestion to Benny when they can go around together in Dublin?
4. What does Nan do when she is sure she is pregnant?
5. What do Heather and Benny do when Benny finds her at the cottage?
6. What is the meeting like at the cafe when Kit and Joseph are there?
7. What happens when Fonzie and Clodagh try to enter the bar at Healy Hotel?
8. What advice of Nan's does Benny use to dissuade her father from walking her to Eve's party and coming to collect her later?
9. What do Benny and Annabel learn about the lawyer?
10. How does Jack show his naivety after being at the cottage three times with Nan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Paying the Piper. The essay should center on Jack. Three main points are his looks and athletic ability that have many girls around him all the time; his failure to seduce Benny and substituting the opportunistic Nan; followed by his loss of Benny. Conclude with the generality that people pay for their mistakes.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Resentment and Anger. Use the character of Eve in three aspects--first, her resentment and anger at the Westward family; second, her growing suspicion of Nan; and third, her anger directed at Nan over what she did to Benny and the fact that she did it in her cottage.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the value of Loyalty Among Friends. Divide the essay into three main points--the need for friends; the effects of disloyalty among friends; and what is gained by being loyal to a friend.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)