|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Patsy say about how Benny's parents feel about a relationship between Benny and Sean?
(a) they would like it to be forever
(b) they are worried about it
(c) they think Benny meets Sean secretly
(d) they do not care if Benny does not like Sean
2. What happens when Kit invites Paddy Hickey for tea?
(a) Paddy flirts with Kit
(b) Paddy asks if he can bring a lady friend
(c) Paddy refuses to visit a married woman
(d) Paddy talks about Kit's husband
3. What does Benny find out about why her parents were out the night of the dance?
(a) they were having tea with Mother Clare
(b) they were out walking
(c) they were rearranging Hogan's outfitters
(d) they got lost on the way to dublin
4. Where does Nan tell her mother she is going while she is packing her bag?
(a) Benny's house in Knockglen
(b) at Sheila's house in the country
(c) to London with Rosemary
(d) Eve's boardinghouse
5. Why does Mrs. Healy refuse to allow Fonsie and Clodagh to enter the hotel bar?
(a) because they do not have the money
(b) because of the way they are dressed
(c) because they are unescorted
(d) because they are too young
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up to drive Eve and Heather on their outing?
2. What is Simon's response when Nan says they should marry?
3. What is ironic about Nan and Simon getting together?
4. What does Heather complain that she does not have?
5. What does Simon want from Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meeting like at the cafe when Kit and Joseph are there?
2. Why does Eve say they have to tell everyone about Jack and Nan?
3. What is the exchange between Jack and Benny the morning after Jack took Nan to a dance?
4. What does Emily find in Nan's room that indicates her ambition to join high society?
5. Thinking about Jack and Nan, how close does Benny come to the real truth?
6. How does Benny get home to Knockglen after the news arrives that her father has died?
7. What advice of Nan's does Benny use to dissuade her father from walking her to Eve's party and coming to collect her later?
8. What happens when Fonzie and Clodagh try to enter the bar at Healy Hotel?
9. How does Jack show his naivety after being at the cottage three times with Nan?
10. What is the resolution for Benny at the end of the novel?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)