|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Heather so pleased with the praise she gets for her part in the Easter pageant?
(a) she says it is her best Easter ever
(b) she thinks it will spite Simon
(c) she likes being a star
(d) she knows her grandfather was there
2. Where do Nan and Simon stay on their second night together?
(a) Mrs. Healey's hotel
(b) at Westlands
(c) the Dublin Inn
(d) Eve's cottage
3. How has working in the shop changed Annabel?
(a) she looks haggard and confused
(b) she has gotten very thin
(c) she no longer looks depressed
(d) she has gained too much weight
4. What is Sean's surprise proposal to the Hogans?
(a) that he become a partner in lieu of a raise
(b) that they give him free clothes instead of a raise
(c) that he and Benny get married
(d) that Mr. Hogan sell him the store
5. What does Jack do when Benny touches his face?
(a) pulls away from her
(b) laughs out loud
(c) kisses her hand
(d) pushes her hair back
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Benny wish she could be like Eve and work in Dublin?
2. Who is coming to Eve's cottage party after first declining the invitation?
3. What was Mr. Flood's strange ailment before he is cured?
4. Why does Mrs. Healy refuse to allow Fonsie and Clodagh to enter the hotel bar?
5. Who prevents Kit from coming to Knockglen for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the resolution for Benny at the end of the novel?
2. How does Benny get home to Knockglen after the news arrives that her father has died?
3. What foils Nan's plans to tell Jack she is pregnant at Eve's cottage?
4. What is the exchange between Jack and Benny the morning after Jack took Nan to a dance?
5. What advice of Nan's does Benny use to dissuade her father from walking her to Eve's party and coming to collect her later?
6. How does Jack show his naivety after being at the cottage three times with Nan?
7. Thinking about Jack and Nan, how close does Benny come to the real truth?
8. What is Jacks suggestion to Benny when they can go around together in Dublin?
9. What does Benny learn from Eve about where Jack and Nan went for their trysts.
10. What does Emily find in Nan's room that indicates her ambition to join high society?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)