|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Benny wish she could be like Eve and work in Dublin?
(a) so she could hear all the gossip
(b) so she could wear low cut dresses
(c) so she could be closer to Jack
(d) so she would not get so tired on the bus
2. How has working in the shop changed Annabel?
(a) she has gained too much weight
(b) she no longer looks depressed
(c) she looks haggard and confused
(d) she has gotten very thin
3. Why is Lilly concerned for Benny?
(a) because Benny has a serious weight problem
(b) because Jack is too serious about her
(c) because Benny may be taking Jack seriously
(d) because she will have to stay home more
4. What does Kit not know about her son Jack?
(a) that he worked for his father
(b) that he hated his father
(c) that he spent time with his father
(d) that he saw Brian as a substitute father
5. Whose death becomes the talk of the town?
(d) Maj. Westward's
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the confrontation between Eve and Nan at the cottage?
2. Who shows up to drive Eve and Heather on their outing?
3. What does Nan say about Eve after she is coy about the outing?
4. What does Mrs. Healy call the way Fonsie is dressed for Holy Communion?
5. Who prevents Kit from coming to Knockglen for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foils Nan's plans to tell Jack she is pregnant at Eve's cottage?
2. What is the exchange between Jack and Benny the morning after Jack took Nan to a dance?
3. What advice of Nan's does Benny use to dissuade her father from walking her to Eve's party and coming to collect her later?
4. What does Nan do when she is sure she is pregnant?
5. What is the resolution for Benny at the end of the novel?
6. Thinking about Jack and Nan, how close does Benny come to the real truth?
7. What does Emily find in Nan's room that indicates her ambition to join high society?
8. How does Benny get home to Knockglen after the news arrives that her father has died?
9. What do Heather and Benny do when Benny finds her at the cottage?
10. What advice does Dr. Johnson give Annabel when Eddie dies and why does he give it?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)