|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shows up unexpectedly at Kit Hegarty's house?
(a) Mother Clare
(b) her husband
(d) Jack Foley
2. Where does Jack invite Nan to go because he thinks Benny is in Knockglen?
(a) a dance
(b) the movies again
(c) a night time drive
(d) a birthday jparty
3. Why does Benny go to work at the shop?
(a) she has an interest in it
(b) she thinks it will help her be close to Eddie
(c) she wants to learn about business
(d) she wants to be close to Sean
4. How has working in the shop changed Annabel?
(a) she no longer looks depressed
(b) she has gained too much weight
(c) she has gotten very thin
(d) she looks haggard and confused
5. What is the outcome for Benny after all the tragedy?
(a) she leaves school and finds a job
(b) she becomes bitter
(c) she comes to love herself
(d) she drops out of the circle of friends
6. Why does Heather say Simon is in England?
(a) looking for a job
(b) selling some heirlooms
(c) looking for a wife
(d) hiding from Nan
7. Who is coming to Eve's cottage party after first declining the invitation?
8. Where do Nan and Jack wake up together?
(a) in Jack's room at home
(b) in Eve's cottage
(c) on a blanket in the country
(d) in the hotel
9. What is Sean's surprise proposal to the Hogans?
(a) that he become a partner in lieu of a raise
(b) that he and Benny get married
(c) that Mr. Hogan sell him the store
(d) that they give him free clothes instead of a raise
10. Where does Nan tell her mother she is going while she is packing her bag?
(a) Benny's house in Knockglen
(b) to London with Rosemary
(c) Eve's boardinghouse
(d) at Sheila's house in the country
11. What does Jack have to tell Benny?
(a) that he has been lying to her about his feelings
(b) that his parents want them to break up
(c) that he no longer loves her
(d) that he has to marry Nan
12. Why is Jack upset when he talks to Benny?
(a) because he saw her with Aidan
(b) because he is going away
(c) because she won't hold his hand
(d) because she still has to go home nights
13. Where does Nan tell Jack she is going?
(a) to Paris to learn French
(b) to London to study dress making
(c) to a convent to become a nun
(d) to America to start fresh
14. Why does Benny wish she could be like Eve and work in Dublin?
(a) so she could wear low cut dresses
(b) so she would not get so tired on the bus
(c) so she could be closer to Jack
(d) so she could hear all the gossip
15. Who does Lilly think her son Jack is inviting to lunch?
(a) Rosemary or Nan
(b) Benny or Eve
(c) some of his male friends
(d) a new girl from school
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nan invite Benny to lunch at the Hibernian?
2. What happens after the confrontation between Eve and Nan at the cottage?
3. Who finds out when Mother Clare is leaving Knockglen?
4. Why does Jack pull of the road on the way to take Benny to Knockglen?
5. What does Jack do when Benny touches his face?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)