|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Everitt refer to Cicero's decision to leave Rome?
2. Why did Cicero use his victory in a famous case to flatter the lower classes in Chapter 4?
3. What was absent from Rome that caused further troubles in managing their holdings?
4. When did Pompey and Crassus serve as Consuls?
5. What did Cicero use to discredit his opponents once he had the support of the governing classes in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Cicero raised and how was his background described in Chapter 2?
2. What was the result of the War of Allies?
3. How was the Forum described in Chapter 3?
4. How did Cicero uncover the conspiracy and thwart Catalina?
5. What strategy did Cicero use against Verres in Chapter 4?
6. How did Cicero protect himself against Clodius and his gang?
7. Why was Cicero's case against Verres significant?
8. What caused Cicero to be exiled from Rome?
9. Why did Cicero flatter the lower classes after a major victory as Praetor?
10. What was the reason for Cicero's speech about the First Triumvirate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education was a major part of the foundation for Cicero's career.
1) Describe Cicero's early background and education.
2) Explain which areas Cicero studied the most and how it helped him later in his life and career.
3) Analyze Cicero's goal of becoming an advocate and whether or not he achieved it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the intention of Everitt in writing "Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician," including how the book was organized, Everitt's reasons for structuring it that way, and an analysis of the book's title.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Philippics in detail, including why they were written, how Cicero defeated Antony with them, and the response they received from the Senate and the people of Rome.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)