|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which political problems were at the source of the crisis for the Roman Empire?
2. What did Cicero spend his time doing when he first returned from exile?
3. Which of the following was established to represent the Plebs?
4. How did Verres react to the probability of defeat?
5. How did Cicero initially protect himself from Clodius and his standing gang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cicero decide to become an advocate?
2. What caused Cicero to be exiled from Rome?
3. What was the result of the War of Allies?
4. How did Cicero uncover the conspiracy and thwart Catalina?
5. How did Cicero win the Roscius case?
6. Why were the Consuls elected in the Roman government and how did they serve?
7. What was the basic structure of the Roman government?
8. Why did Cicero flatter the lower classes after a major victory as Praetor?
9. Why did Cicero not give a speech at the end of his Consulship?
10. What nickname was Cicero given during his youth and how was it selected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the setting of "Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician." Include a description of Ancient Rome and the Forum, as well as the ancestry of the locations, and how they impacted Cicero's life.
Essay Topic 2
As mentioned in the book, Cicero used dialogue form in some of his books.
1) Define what dialogue form is and how it is used in literature.
2) Analyze the way Cicero wrote his books in dialogue form and why he selected that technique.
3) Explain how dialogue form can be valuable in writing both fiction and non-fiction.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the association between politics and law, using Cicero's political campaigns as an example.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)