|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the Roman Constitution developed?
2. When did Pompey and Crassus serve as Consuls?
3. How did Cicero voice his disapproval of Caesar's actions in getting a land reform bill passed?
4. Which year was Cicero born?
5. How many inhabitants did Rome have in the First Century, B.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of the War of Allies?
2. Why did Cicero decide to become an advocate?
3. How did Cicero work with Caesar when he returned from exile?
4. How did Cicero protect himself against Clodius and his gang?
5. What did Cicero do when he returned to Rome in Chapter 7?
6. Why did Cicero flatter the lower classes after a major victory as Praetor?
7. Which two social classes were mentioned in Chapter 1?
8. Why were the Consuls elected in the Roman government and how did they serve?
9. Why did Cicero not give a speech at the end of his Consulship?
10. Where was Cicero raised and how was his background described in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities and differences in the First Triumvirate and the Second Triumvirate, the people involved, and the effect each had on Ancient Rome, Cicero, and the Republic.
Essay Topic 2
As mentioned in the book, Cicero used dialogue form in some of his books.
1) Define what dialogue form is and how it is used in literature.
2) Analyze the way Cicero wrote his books in dialogue form and why he selected that technique.
3) Explain how dialogue form can be valuable in writing both fiction and non-fiction.
Essay Topic 3
With his experiences, it was reported that Cicero's personality traits changed during his life.
1) Explain how Cicero's personality was described in the beginning of the book.
2) Analyze the way Cicero's personality influenced his career and choices.
3) Describe how Cicero's personality changed over time and why.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)