|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times was Antony defeated at the beginning of the war?
(a) Seven times.
(b) Four times.
2. What was bothering Cicero about the conditions in Chapter 10?
(a) How they could have been prevented.
(b) How to delay them.
(c) How they occurred.
(d) How to react to them.
3. When did Cicero arrive in Rome after his governorship at Cicilia was over?
(a) 49 B.C.
(b) 52 B.C.
(c) 48 B.C.
(d) 51 B.C.
4. Which of the following historians was mentioned in the book as documenting the rivalry between Caesar and Pompey?
5. Where did Cicero retreat after the death of his daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cicero in On Law, when can oratory have a moral impact?
2. What did Caesar think should replace the squabbles of the Senate?
3. What part of the Republic's modernization was the source of tension between Caesar and Pompey?
4. Which help did Caesar ask Cicero for in Chapter 10?
5. When did Cicero divorce Terentia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Cicero write about in the beginning of Chapter 12 and why?
2. Where was Cicero in Chapter 11, and how did he return to Rome?
3. How were Cicero's books received?
4. What were the Philippics?
5. How did Cicero view the pending feud between Caesar and Pompey while getting ready to return to Rome in 50 B.C.?
6. What was Caesar planning in the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. How was Caesar assassinated?
8. What did the conspirators against Caesar do as a way to diminish his reputation?
9. What unwavering qualities are the most remembered about Cicero?
10. When was On the State published and what was it about?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)