|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Verres react to the probability of defeat?
(a) He went into exile.
(b) He laughed.
(c) He tried to bribe the Senate.
(d) He denied the charges.
2. Why did the Senate become influential in the Roman government?
(a) The positions were held for life.
(b) The Senate did not represent either social class.
(c) The Senate was intended to represent both social classes.
(d) The positions were held for over twenty years.
3. How was the Roman Constitution developed?
(a) With frequent rewrites.
(b) Through new versions every year at the same time.
(c) In layers over time.
(d) It was only written once.
4. How did Cicero initially protect himself from Clodius and his standing gang?
(a) By continuing to give speeches.
(b) By keeping his location unknown.
(c) By only appearing in crowds.
(d) By working with a Tribune.
5. Which year was Cicero born?
(a) 112 B.C.
(b) 102 B.C.
(c) 110 B.C.
(d) 106 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subjects did Cicero study extensively as a young man?
2. Following Clodius' death, what was Pompey asked to do for the city?
3. How long did Cicero live in Sicily in Chapter 4?
4. Which tactic did Caesar use in order to get a land reform bill passed?
5. Which form of evidence did Cicero use to prove Catalina guilty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the basic structure of the Roman government?
2. Why did Cicero decide to become an advocate?
3. Why did Cicero flatter the lower classes after a major victory as Praetor?
4. In what way did Cicero begin his speaking career in Chapter 3?
5. What did Cicero do while he was away from Rome in Chapter 3?
6. What nickname was Cicero given during his youth and how was it selected?
7. What was Caesar doing to gain support in Chapter 5?
8. How was the Roman Constitution described in Chapter 1?
9. What was the reason for Cicero's speech about the First Triumvirate?
10. Why were the Consuls elected in the Roman government and how did they serve?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)