|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main charge in the first Catilinarian conspiracy?
(a) Attempted murder.
2. Which year was Cicero born?
(a) 110 B.C.
(b) 102 B.C.
(c) 106 B.C.
(d) 112 B.C.
3. Why did Cicero use his victory in a famous case to flatter the lower classes in Chapter 4?
(a) To help them get loans.
(b) To help raise their wages.
(c) To win their support for the Consulship.
(d) To win their support for his writings.
4. Who passed the bill that caused Cicero to go into exile?
(b) Neither Caesar nor Clodius.
(d) Clodius and Caesar.
5. According to the Roman government, when could dictators be appointed?
(a) With a vote in the Senate.
(b) With a vote from the people.
(c) During a war.
(d) During an emergency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was absent from Rome that caused further troubles in managing their holdings?
2. What was Rome's economy like when Cicero became Consul?
3. Based on Cicero's letters around the time of his speech about Caesar in Chapter 7, what was clear about his mood?
4. How did Everitt refer to Cicero's decision to leave Rome?
5. Which political problems were at the source of the crisis for the Roman Empire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cicero become elected Consul?
2. How did Cicero uncover the conspiracy and thwart Catalina?
3. What was the state of Rome when Cicero first became Consul?
4. What was the result of the War of Allies?
5. In what way did Cicero begin his speaking career in Chapter 3?
6. What was the reason for Cicero's speech about the First Triumvirate?
7. Why were the Consuls elected in the Roman government and how did they serve?
8. What was the basic structure of the Roman government?
9. How did Cicero work with Caesar when he returned from exile?
10. What did Cicero do while he was away from Rome in Chapter 3?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)