|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Cicero to be wary of helping Octavian?
(a) It would require unconstitutional actions.
(b) He was unsure about how the people would react.
(c) He did not know about Octavian's plans.
(d) It would distract him from writing more speeches.
2. According to the book, what was taking place as Cicero turned to writing between 46 B.C. and 44 B.C.?
(a) People were moving to Rome.
(b) People were leaving Rome.
(c) The Republic was being rebuilt.
(d) The Republic was lost.
3. How much work did On the State require?
(a) A little in some areas, a lot in others.
(b) It is unknown.
(c) A moderate amount.
(d) A lot.
4. Who did Cicero explain all of the details to in the fourth Philippic?
(a) A few senators.
(b) The entire Senate.
(c) The people.
(d) The courts.
5. Out of the many blows that were used in the attack on Caesar, how many were fatal?
(a) A few.
(c) A lot.
6. How many times was Antony defeated at the beginning of the war?
(b) Seven times.
(c) Four times.
7. When did Octavian ask Cicero for help against Antony?
(a) November 30.
(b) October 31.
(c) November 28.
(d) October 29.
8. What did the conspirators do in order to diminish the seriousness of genuine support for Caesar?
(a) Prevent others from talking to Caesar.
(b) Compliment Caesar excessively.
(c) Insult Caesar excessively.
(d) Avoid talking to Caesar.
9. When did Octavian become Consul?
(a) August 14.
(b) November 4.
(c) November 8.
(d) August 18.
10. What was On the State written about?
(a) The ideal constitution and the ideal citizen.
(b) Responses to common legal questions.
(c) Responses to common political questions.
(d) The ideal military and the ideal war.
11. When did the conspiracies against Caesar begin?
(a) One month after the Ides of March.
(b) Eight months after the Ides of March.
(c) One year after the Ides of March.
(d) Four months after the Ides of March.
12. As Cicero pointed out in the fifth Philippic, what did the attempts of negotiations fail to recognize about Antony?
(a) Questionable tactics.
(b) Aggresive intentions.
(c) Inexcusable tactics.
(d) Deceptive intentions.
13. Which help did Caesar ask Cicero for in Chapter 10?
(a) To raise money.
(b) To lead the military.
(c) To develop better laws.
(d) To be a propaganda agent.
14. What did Caesar think should replace the squabbles of the Senate?
(a) Executive authority.
(b) An additional Consul.
(c) A reduction in senators.
(d) New laws.
15. As mentioned in Chapter 8, which problem did Cicero observe in the Roman Constitution?
(a) Only in the revisions that could be made to it.
(b) Only that it was too long.
(c) Only in the people entrusted with protecting it.
(d) Only that it was not long enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Antony after Caesar's death?
2. What did the Senate do when it appeared that Antony was defeated?
3. When did Cicero begin to write about politics?
4. What was the purpose of the tribunal that was assembled with Octavian as Consul?
5. When did Cicero divorce Terentia?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)