|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Cicero pointed out in the fifth Philippic, what did the attempts of negotiations fail to recognize about Antony?
(a) Inexcusable tactics.
(b) Aggresive intentions.
(c) Questionable tactics.
(d) Deceptive intentions.
2. How many people were involved in the conspiracy to kill Caesar?
3. What type of campaign did Cicero lead while governing Cicilia?
(a) Normal, but interrupted.
4. How much work did On the State require?
(a) A lot.
(b) It is unknown.
(c) A moderate amount.
(d) A little in some areas, a lot in others.
5. When did the civil war in Chapter 11 end?
(a) Mid-46 B.C.
(b) Mid-45 B.C.
(c) At the end of 47 B.C.
(d) At the end of 48 B.C.
6. What was noted about Cicero's goal of restoring traditional political values at the end of the book?
(a) It was never challenged.
(b) It was his best quality.
(c) It was the foundation of his writings.
(d) It never wavered.
7. What was bothering Cicero about the conditions in Chapter 10?
(a) How to react to them.
(b) How to delay them.
(c) How they occurred.
(d) How they could have been prevented.
8. Although trying to remain neutral, what did Cicero fear would happen no matter who gained control in Chapter 10?
(a) The Constitution would be destroyed.
(b) The Constitution would be ignored.
(c) The people would be upset.
(d) The people would be resentful.
9. What did Cicero speak against in his Philippics?
(a) A compromise with Antony.
(b) Another election.
(c) Another war.
(d) A set of laws against Antony.
10. According to Cicero in On Law, when can oratory have a moral impact?
(a) When it is expertly spoken.
(b) When it is used properly.
(c) When it is presented in certain situations.
(d) When it is expertly written.
11. When did Cicero arrive in Cicilia?
(a) 50 B.C.
(b) 51 B.C.
(c) 49 B.C.
(d) 52 B.C.
12. Which one of the following did not happen after Caesar's funeral?
(a) Cicero left Rome.
(b) Antony refused to attend.
(c) A riot broke out.
(d) The Senate house was burned.
13. Who did Cicero prefer to support in the conflict between Caesar and Pompey?
(a) Caesar for some issues and Pompey for other issues.
(d) Neither Pompey nor Caesar.
14. When did the conspiracies against Caesar begin?
(a) One month after the Ides of March.
(b) Four months after the Ides of March.
(c) Eight months after the Ides of March.
(d) One year after the Ides of March.
15. What did Cicero label Antony in the third Philippic?
(a) A traitor.
(b) An enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was a main challenge that Cicero struggled with in Cicilia?
2. Which subject did Cicero teach when he returned to Rome?
3. What caused Cicero to be wary of helping Octavian?
4. What year was Octavian born?
5. What part of the Republic's modernization was the source of tension between Caesar and Pompey?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)