|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the Roman Constitution developed?
(a) In layers over time.
(b) With frequent rewrites.
(c) Through new versions every year at the same time.
(d) It was only written once.
2. How did Cicero voice his disapproval of Caesar's actions in getting a land reform bill passed?
(a) He gave four speeches.
(b) He wrote four letters.
(c) He wrote a letter.
(d) He gave a speech.
3. When did Cicero begin studying law in Rome?
(a) 85 B.C.
(b) 90 B.C.
(c) 95 B.C.
(d) 100 B.C.
4. Which of the following was cited as a reason for the difficulty Rome had in managing its vast holdings?
(a) A lack of communication.
(b) High communication costs.
(c) Interrupted communication.
(d) Low communication costs.
5. What was the public reaction when they became aware of the First Triumverate?
(a) It was unpopular.
(b) It was considered a distraction.
(c) It was only popular with a few people.
(d) It was popular.
6. Which of the following was listed as a cause for the War of Allies?
(a) Two battles.
(c) One battle.
7. When was Cicero elected Consul?
(a) January 1, 63 B.C.
(b) January 10, 63 B.C.
(c) February 10, 63 B.C.
(d) February 1, 63 B.C.
8. How did Cicero respond to a land reform bill in Chapter 5?
(a) He supported most of it.
(b) He opposed it.
(c) He ignored it.
(d) He supported it.
9. How was the city of Rome described in Chapter 3?
(a) Unplanned, chaotically built, and dangerous in many places.
(b) Well planned and constructed, but dangerous in many places.
(c) Well planned and constructed, and safe.
(d) Unplanned, chaotically built, but not dangerous.
10. What did Everitt think about the Roman Constitution's checks and balances?
(a) There were the right amount.
(b) There were too many.
(c) There were not enough.
(d) It was not discussed in the book.
11. Based on Cicero's letters around the time of his speech about Caesar in Chapter 7, what was clear about his mood?
(a) He was not excited to be back.
(b) He was not depressed.
(c) He was excited to be back.
(d) He was depressed.
12. How long did Cicero spend polishing his speeches in the beginning of his career?
13. How did Caesar give his consent for Cicero's return from exile?
14. Besides trying to convince the Senate to ratify his conquests, what was Pompey's goal after returning to Italy?
(a) Starting another war.
(b) Stopping another war.
(c) Acquiring farms for veterans.
(d) Acquiring money for veterans.
15. Why did the governing classes decide to back Cicero for Consul?
(a) He defended the authority of the Senate.
(b) He had the best record in politics.
(c) His previous cases proved that he was on their side.
(d) His work made their responsibilities easier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was absent from Rome that caused further troubles in managing their holdings?
2. Who did Cicero represent in the case against Verres?
3. Following a successful campaign for Quaestor, what position was Cicero given in Sicily?
4. Who passed the bill that caused Cicero to go into exile?
5. Where was the town that Cicero was born located?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)