|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Oishi call Honzo a "sycophant samurai"?
2. How does Kampei sign his contract with Goemon?
3. What merchandise does Amakawaya Gihei have that interests Rikiya?
4. In "Act Eleven," why is Moronao calm?
5. Why does Heiemon want to join the samurai in "Act Seven"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Konami and Tonase travel to Yuranosuke's house in "Act Eight"?
2. Why does Goemon refuse to let Kampei help with the monument in "Act Six"?
3. What does Moronao do when the samurai enter his mansion in "Act Eleven"?
4. What does Heiemon tell Okaru in "Act Seven"?
5. How does Kampei die?
6. How does Yuranosuke help Amakawaya Gihei's wife?
7. How do Yuranosuke's men get inside Moronao's mansion?
8. In "Act Six," how does Okaru try to help her husband?
9. Why do the police show up at Amakawaya Gihei's house?
10. In "Act Nine," why does Oishi say the wedding between Konami and Rikiya is off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of loyalty in this drama. How is loyalty defined? What role does is play in developing the characters and the plot? Give examples of loyalty and the lack thereof in the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of seppuku in this drama? What themes does it help explore? How does it drive the text and the characters? Provide quotes from the book to support your discussion on seppuku.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Kaoyo's romantic relationships to those of Konami's. What is revealed about this society through these relationships?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)