|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tonase show her husband's sword to Rikiya's mother?
2. Who ends up with the wallet Kampei found on the thief?
3. Why does the league offer Moronao's head to the shrine in the temple?
4. How does Amakawaya Gihei feel after being tricked by Yuranosuke in "Act Ten"?
5. In "Act Nine," what makes Konami feel shame?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Moronao is beheaded?
2. Why does Heiemon wish to meet with Yuranosuke in "Act Seven"?
3. What does Heiemon tell Okaru in "Act Seven"?
4. What happens when neighboring samurai appear in "Act Eleven"?
5. How does Kampei die?
6. How does Yuranosuke help Amakawaya Gihei's wife?
7. What does Yuranosuke tell Moronao when he finds him in "Act Eleven"?
8. What does Moronao do when the samurai enter his mansion in "Act Eleven"?
9. What does Oishi reveal at the end of "Act Nine"?
10. What does Okaru say about the letter from Kaoyo in "Act Seven"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism used in the ceremonies in this drama. Define symbolism in your discussion and give examples of several ceremonies to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
How are motives, feelings and other internal forces conveyed in this drama? Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What type of hero is Yuranosuke? How does he fulfill this role? How does he defy the label of hero? Define hero and give examples of heroic or non-heroic actions from the play.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)