|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kampei hunt for food in "Act Five"?
2. Who does Moronao arrive with at Tadayoshi in "Act Three"?
3. What title does Enya Hangan Takasada hold?
4. Why does Lord Takauji build a temple in "Act One"?
5. What is seppuku?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rikiya and Konami meet in "Act Two"?
2. What rumors spread in "Act Two"?
3. What does Moronao do after the meeting about Nitta Yoshisada's helmet?
4. How does Hangan react to the order that he must commit seppuku?
5. How does Hangan part with his friend Yuranosuke?
6. What happens to Kampei while he hunts for food in "Act Five"?
7. In "Act Two," what happens when Lord Wakasanosuke meets with Honzo?
8. How does Kaoyo prove Nitta Yoshisada's helmet is authentic?
9. What does Tonase do when instructed to receive a messenger?
10. In "Act Five," what is significant about the monument to Hangan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how economy affects the characters in this play. Remember to explore the lives of the samurai who lost their positions after the death of their lord.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of seppuku in this drama? What themes does it help explore? How does it drive the text and the characters? Provide quotes from the book to support your discussion on seppuku.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of loyalty in this drama. How is loyalty defined? What role does is play in developing the characters and the plot? Give examples of loyalty and the lack thereof in the play.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)