|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might Juan be forced to do?
2. To whom does Armando's mother leave most of his upbringing?
3. What does Armando do to the mayordomo when they arrive at the estancia?
4. What is Juan hiding behind a calm exterior?
5. What have none of the people seen in their lifetime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Pedro and Armando. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Juan and the Vaquero. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Chucaro help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Chucaro help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Chucaro? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Chucaro to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Chucaro based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Chucaro is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus children's books? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Chucaro a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)