|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pedro about to cry?
2. What does Juan to do Armando?
3. What is in the bag Armando pulls out of the car?
4. What does Mr. Pizetti note?
5. Why does Muñez think Armando will be successful with Chúcaro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Chucaro. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Kalnay chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Kalnay chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Kalnay's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Kalnay use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Chucaro is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Chucaro based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Chucaro is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus children's books? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Chucaro a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)