|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a very rich land owner called?
(a) There is no special name for such a person.
2. Where do Juan and Pedro take Chúcaro in Chapter 4?
(a) To the nearby village.
(b) To Pedro's grandfather's home.
(c) To the Pampas.
(d) To Juan's casita.
3. How does Chúcaro like being groomed?
(a) He bites Pedro.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He is thrilled.
(d) He endures it but is restless.
4. What are the Pampas?
(a) The name the narrator's society calls the plains where they live.
(b) The mountains in the southwest region of Central America.
(c) The family name of the narrator.
(d) The mountains in the southwest region of South Dakota.
5. What do most people remember seeing in Juan's house?
(a) The picture of Juan's mother.
(b) The wanted poster.
(c) The picture Juan painted of Chúcaro.
(d) The picture of Pedro and his father.
6. What is the general conclusion by the people about the Pampa?
(a) It is ugly, but home.
(b) It is a place of hardships.
(c) It is a beautiful home.
(d) It's not great, but it's home.
7. How often does Juan go to village dances?
(c) Twice a month.
8. What does Juan tend to do when not working?
(a) Helps his neighbors.
(b) Weaves blankets.
(c) Stays at home and sings old gaucho songs.
(d) Makes baskets.
9. What does Juan wear?
(a) A bandolira.
(b) A pair of worn sandals.
(c) A kerchief.
(d) A felt hat.
10. What color is the animal Pedro sees?
(c) Burnt red.
11. What is maté?
(a) A corn paste.
(b) A type of potato.
(c) A drink.
(d) A seasoning for meat.
12. What is one instance when the weather around Pedro's home is sad?
(a) When it's so dry there is dust on everything.
(b) When it rains so long, homes are flooded.
(c) When hail destroys the crops.
(d) When it's so cold, it's difficult to be outside.
13. How do gauchos usually cook their meat?
(a) On a grill over an open fire.
(b) In stews.
(c) Boiled with potatoes.
(d) In pits on hot stones.
14. What does scratching signify to Chúcaro?
(a) A challenge.
(b) Who is dominant.
15. To whom does the Pampas "sing"?
(a) The scientists who come to study it.
(b) Those who are close to it.
(c) The animals who live there.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who often gets together to eat and talk?
2. Where are the waterfalls that are depicted on a poster?
3. Where does Juan say Chúcaro will stay?
4. What is a mayordomo?
5. Who is Gitana?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)