|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two parts of Joinville's book?
2. He and the other barons are pushed to give up lands for freedom, and made to believe what is to happen to them?
3. On the way to France, the men narrowly escape fire. What has caused this fire?
4. Joinville escorts the queen and her daughter to __________ for safe departure.
5. The king sends religious gifts to the nearby King of Tartars for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the king asked to come home to France? Why does he decide to stay abroad?
2. Describe the negotiations between the king and the Turks for the freedom of Louis' men.
3. How does Joinville end up in the king's service?
4. What does Joinville say about King Louis' dealings with the people?
5. What are the terms of the new negotiations from the new powers of the Turks? Describe how these negotiations play out.
6. Describe the battle leading to Damietta being left to the king?
7. Give an example when Louis makes peace with others.
8. What happens between the people of Constantinople and the Comans? Why?
9. Why does Louis take up the cross?
10. What story does Joinville tell about the Queen of Cyprus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A disloyal sergeant calls for the troops to surrender.
Part 1) Why does this sergeant do this? How does this affect Louis and his army?
Part 2) What other disloyal behavior occurs in this book? Why? How does this behavior affect the various events in this book?
Part 3) When have those who serve our country been disloyal? Why? How did this disloyalty affect our country? How does it affect us today?
Essay Topic 2
Lack of communication and deception are themes.
Part 1) How are these themes? How are these themes found in other stories you have read?
Part 2) Why are lack of communication and deception found between humans? When has it occurred in your own life?
Part 3) What can be done to improve communications and honesty between various groups of people?
Essay Topic 3
Joinville wants men to realize the greatness of King Louis.
Part 1) How is Louis great, according to Joinville? How has Joinville come to this conclusion about Louis?
Part 2) Do you agree that Louis is a great man? Why or why not?
Part 3) Who is a great person in your own life? Why?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)