|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon payment, the Comte de Poitiers is released. What do the Turks do with the sick French men in Damietta?
2. He ends the dedication by noting that to take example from Louis would be to do what?
3. Joinville is summoned by the Empress of Constantinople to Paphos only to find her how?
4. Joinville explains he himself is stricken with what, but recovers?
5. Who are soon rooted out of the kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joinville say about King Louis' dealings with the people?
2. What are the terms of the new negotiations from the new powers of the Turks? Describe how these negotiations play out.
3. Describe the battle with the Turks that ends with the king barely escaping with his life.
4. How does Joinville end up in the king's service?
5. Describe the trip home for the king.
6. Give an example when Louis makes peace with others.
7. What information do the spies give regarding the Saracen's plans? How does the king react to this?
8. Why does the king decide to sail to Cairo?
9. What does Joinville do when he is summoned by the Empress of Constantinople?
10. Describe the battle along the Nile.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many men desert the army.
Part 1) Describe these deserters and the reasons for deserting.
Part 2) How does this desertion affect affect the Crusades? What does this reveal about the feelings of the people regarding the Crusades?
Part 3) Should these men have deserted the Crusades? Why or why not? Should anyone be forced to take part in the military? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
War in the name of God is a theme.
Part 1) How is this a theme? How is this found in other stories you have read?
Part 2) Why do religious wars take place? How do they affect relations between various groups of people?
Part 3) Should war take place in the name of God? Why or why not? How do these types of wars continue today?
Essay Topic 3
The goal of the Crusades was to capture the city of Jerusalem.
Part 1) Why did the crusaders want to capture Jerusalem? Why was Jerusalem so important?
Part 2) Were they successful? Why or why not? How did the Crusades affect all involved? Was the capture of Jerusalem worth it? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does mankind continue to fight for possession of cities, countries, and property? Are these fights worth the consequences? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)