|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Louis refuses peace until when?
2. One evening, the Turks begin to shoot fireballs at the army, destroying what?
3. Oliver de Termes explains to Joinville how to do what?
4. The king lands at the castle of Hyeres in the lands of who?
5. He ends the dedication by noting that to take example from Louis would be to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the king decide to sail to Cairo?
2. How does Joinville end up in the king's service?
3. What story does Joinville tell about the Queen of Cyprus?
4. How are Joinville and the barons tricked into giving up their land?
5. How does the king go about fortifying cities?
6. Describe the trip home for the king.
7. What happens between the people of Constantinople and the Comans? Why?
8. What does Joinville do when he is summoned by the Empress of Constantinople?
9. Why does Louis take up the cross?
10. What promise is made by the emirs of Egypt? What are the results of this promise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King Louis is granted sainthood.
Part 1) How does one become a saint? Why was King Louis granted sainthood?
Part 2) What is the purpose of sainthood? How might Louis' sainthood influence the stories told about him and one's opinion of him?
Part 3) Who is someone in your own life who has saintly qualities? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Pope Innocent proclaims that anyone who takes up the cross as part of the army for one year will be free from all sins.
Part 1) How do citizens react to this? Why does Pope Innocent tell them this?
Part 2) How would you react to a proclamation such as this? Why would you react this way?
Part 3) What do those in power do to influence the masses today? How does this compare to Pope Innocent's proclamation?
Essay Topic 3
Louis' army is slowly dying from illness.
Part 1) What illness might this be? How does this illness affect Louis' plans for the army?
Part 2) What other challenges does Louis' army face? How does Louis' deal with these problems? How does this support Joinville's admiration for him?
Part 3) What challenges does our own military face today? How does this affect U.S. military power abroad?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)