|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The king sends religious gifts to the nearby King of Tartars for what reason?
2. On the way to France, the men narrowly escape fire. What has caused this fire?
3. Each night, the Turks kill more soldiers until what happens?
4. The king lands at the castle of Hyeres in the lands of who?
5. The King of the Tartars takes over Baghdad by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information do the spies give regarding the Saracen's plans? How does the king react to this?
2. What does Joinville do when he is summoned by the Empress of Constantinople?
3. Describe the effects of illness on Louis' army and Louis' decisions regarding his men.
4. How does the king go about fortifying cities?
5. How are Joinville and the barons tricked into giving up their land?
6. Describe the battle along the Nile.
7. What promise is made by the emirs of Egypt? What are the results of this promise?
8. Describe the battle leading to Damietta being left to the king?
9. What happens to Joinville's money?
10. What does Joinville say about the king's goodness at this point in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The end of the first story is abrupt.
Part 1) How does the story end? What is the cause of this abrupt ending?
Part 2) How does this abrupt ending affect your as the reader? Why?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this first chronicle in the book? How does it connect with the second chronicle? What is the purpose of this book, as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Pope Innocent proclaims that anyone who takes up the cross as part of the army for one year will be free from all sins.
Part 1) How do citizens react to this? Why does Pope Innocent tell them this?
Part 2) How would you react to a proclamation such as this? Why would you react this way?
Part 3) What do those in power do to influence the masses today? How does this compare to Pope Innocent's proclamation?
Essay Topic 3
The king leads his army into many battles.
Part 1) Describe two of these battles. What is the purpose of these two battles? Is the king successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the king lead his men into battle? Do you agree with his decision to do so? Why or why not? Do you believe that this is what God would have wanted? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do these battles permanently change mankind? How does it still affect us today?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)