|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joinville wants men to realize __________ of Louis.
2. Joinville complains to the king that he is owed money by his employer, and the king does what for him?
3. What is the army doing when the Turks again attack?
4. On the way to France, the men narrowly escape fire. What has caused this fire?
5. The King of the Tartars takes over Baghdad by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terms of the new negotiations from the new powers of the Turks? Describe how these negotiations play out.
2. Describe the battle with the Turks that ends with the king barely escaping with his life.
3. How does the king go about fortifying cities?
4. How are Joinville and the barons tricked into giving up their land?
5. How does Louis become a saint?
6. What does King Louis do to reform his country?
7. What promise is made by the emirs of Egypt? What are the results of this promise?
8. Describe the negotiations between the king and the Turks for the freedom of Louis' men.
9. What happens when Louis sends an envoy to the Sultan of Damascus? What envoy is sent to Louis? Why? What are the results of this envoy's arrival?
10. What story does Joinville tell about the Queen of Cyprus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Isaac asks the Crusaders for help.
Part 1) Why does Prince Isaac ask the Crusaders for help? Why do the Crusaders agree to help him? What is the outcome of this assistance?
Part 2) Should the Crusaders have helped Prince Isaac? Why or why not? What might have happened if they had not helped him?
Part 3) Do these types of negotiations and assistance take place today? If so, when and why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
King Louis is granted sainthood.
Part 1) How does one become a saint? Why was King Louis granted sainthood?
Part 2) What is the purpose of sainthood? How might Louis' sainthood influence the stories told about him and one's opinion of him?
Part 3) Who is someone in your own life who has saintly qualities? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Joinville wants men to realize the greatness of King Louis.
Part 1) How is Louis great, according to Joinville? How has Joinville come to this conclusion about Louis?
Part 2) Do you agree that Louis is a great man? Why or why not?
Part 3) Who is a great person in your own life? Why?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)