|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fleet sails from the port of Corfu when?
2. Why does Baudouin give Marquis de Montferrat the land of Salonika?
3. Where does Emperor Baudouin die?
4. On reaching Cape Malia, they find two ships full of what?
5. The Greeks attempt to set fire to the Crusader's ships by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Crusaders do when the Emperor Alexius flees?
2. What causes many nobles to take up the cross? Who were some of these noblemen?
3. What happens when many men do not manage to arrive in Venice after Easter in 1202?
4. What happens when the Venetians show the French the warships they have created?
5. What is known about Joinville's account of the crusade?
6. How do Lascaris and Henri come to a truce agreement?
7. What is known about the first chronicle?
8. What do the barons want from the Doge of Venice? What is the Doge's response?
9. What city do the crusaders want to capture? What is known about this city?
10. How did King Louis IX end up taking up the cross and joining the crusade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joinville states the king always governed in accordance with God's will.
Part 1) What might be God's will? How does this compare to the king's action?
Part 2) Do you believe King Louis always governed in accordance with God's will? Might others have agreed with Joinville? Why or why not?
Part 3) If others shared this belief, how might it have affected their behavior and participation in the Crusades? Are there people today who are thought to act according to God's will? How does this person's actions influence others?
Essay Topic 2
Lack of communication and deception are themes.
Part 1) How are these themes? How are these themes found in other stories you have read?
Part 2) Why are lack of communication and deception found between humans? When has it occurred in your own life?
Part 3) What can be done to improve communications and honesty between various groups of people?
Essay Topic 3
Louis' army is slowly dying from illness.
Part 1) What illness might this be? How does this illness affect Louis' plans for the army?
Part 2) What other challenges does Louis' army face? How does Louis' deal with these problems? How does this support Joinville's admiration for him?
Part 3) What challenges does our own military face today? How does this affect U.S. military power abroad?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)