|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Doge makes what offer, if the French agree to pay five marks per horse and two marks per man?
2. It is soon decided that to take the city, the Venetians will attack by _________.
3. Why does Baudouin give Marquis de Montferrat the land of Salonika?
4. Henri and his troops travel to save Cyzicus from whom?
5. Other troops land in a town near Turkey, and do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Thibaut? How do his followers react to his demands?
2. What is known about Joinville's life?
3. How did King Louis IX end up taking up the cross and joining the crusade?
4. What happens once the men arrive at Constantinople? How does the Emperor respond to this action by the French?
5. What can be gathered regarding Murzuphlus' character?
6. How do Lascaris and Henri come to a truce agreement?
7. Why does the new Emperor leave? What happens when he leaves?
8. What is known about Joinville's account of the crusade?
9. When Henri and his troops come to help the Greeks, what decision do they make? How does this battle with Johanitza end?
10. What happens after Henri captures Johanitza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joinville says that to take example from Louis would be to gain favor with God.
Part 1) What examples does Joinville give regarding Louis' good and righteous behavior? Do you agree with Joinville that taking example from Louis would be to gain favor with God? Why or why not?
Part 2) How do you believe this view regarding Louis influenced other Crusaders?
Part 3) What might non-Christians think about Louis? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The king places Joinville in his service.
Part 1) Why does the king place Joinville in his service? What does this reveal about the king?
Part 2) How does this service to King Louis permanently change Joinville?
Part 3) Describe a time you have been influenced in a positive way by a family member, friend, or acquaintance. How did this permanently affect you?
Essay Topic 3
Prince Isaac asks the Crusaders for help.
Part 1) Why does Prince Isaac ask the Crusaders for help? Why do the Crusaders agree to help him? What is the outcome of this assistance?
Part 2) Should the Crusaders have helped Prince Isaac? Why or why not? What might have happened if they had not helped him?
Part 3) Do these types of negotiations and assistance take place today? If so, when and why? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)