|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jean de Joinville, author of the second book, grew up as a powerful figure in that he was Lord of Joinville when?
2. Why does Baudouin give Marquis de Montferrat the land of Salonika?
3. In Constantinople, Prince Issac and his son Alexius escape from whom?
4. When was Villehardouin born?
5. From whom do the Greeks ask for assistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Johanitza flees and leads to Johanitza's capture?
2. What happens on the day of the main attack?
3. What city do the crusaders want to capture? What is known about this city?
4. What happens once the men arrive at Constantinople? How does the Emperor respond to this action by the French?
5. What do the barons want from the Doge of Venice? What is the Doge's response?
6. What does Johanitza continue to do? How do the Greeks react to this?
7. Describe what takes place when it is decided that an emperor must be elected.
8. What is known about Joinville's account of the crusade?
9. What is known about the first chronicle?
10. Why does the new Emperor leave? What happens when he leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A deal is made between the French envoys and the Doge of Venice.
Part 1) Describe this deal. Why is this deal made? How does it affect the French, Venetians, and others?
Part 2) What problems does this deal cause? How? How does this deal affect the Crusades as whole?
Part 3) What other negotiations are made throughout this book? How do these negotiations compare to this one between the French and Venetians?
Essay Topic 2
King Louis is granted sainthood.
Part 1) How does one become a saint? Why was King Louis granted sainthood?
Part 2) What is the purpose of sainthood? How might Louis' sainthood influence the stories told about him and one's opinion of him?
Part 3) Who is someone in your own life who has saintly qualities? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Prince Isaac asks the Crusaders for help.
Part 1) Why does Prince Isaac ask the Crusaders for help? Why do the Crusaders agree to help him? What is the outcome of this assistance?
Part 2) Should the Crusaders have helped Prince Isaac? Why or why not? What might have happened if they had not helped him?
Part 3) Do these types of negotiations and assistance take place today? If so, when and why? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)