|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shaw closes the introduction by noting that he has modernized the chronicles for what reason?
2. When did Villehardouin write the chronicle?
3. Who is Henri?
4. In Constantinople, what happens to Murzuphlus when he has been captured?
5. From whom do the Greeks ask for assistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Henri and his troops come to help the Greeks, what decision do they make? How does this battle with Johanitza end?
2. What causes many nobles to take up the cross? Who were some of these noblemen?
3. What is known about the first chronicle?
4. How is this first chronicle challenged? What does Shaw think about this?
5. What do the Crusaders do when the Emperor Alexius flees?
6. Why does the new Emperor leave? What happens when he leaves?
7. What happens after Henri captures Johanitza?
8. What is the end result of the battle between King Johanitza and the French and Venetians?
9. What do the barons want from the Doge of Venice? What is the Doge's response?
10. What is happening in Constantinople at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Isaac asks the Crusaders for help.
Part 1) Why does Prince Isaac ask the Crusaders for help? Why do the Crusaders agree to help him? What is the outcome of this assistance?
Part 2) Should the Crusaders have helped Prince Isaac? Why or why not? What might have happened if they had not helped him?
Part 3) Do these types of negotiations and assistance take place today? If so, when and why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many men desert the army.
Part 1) Describe these deserters and the reasons for deserting.
Part 2) How does this desertion affect affect the Crusades? What does this reveal about the feelings of the people regarding the Crusades?
Part 3) Should these men have deserted the Crusades? Why or why not? Should anyone be forced to take part in the military? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Joinville states the king always governed in accordance with God's will.
Part 1) What might be God's will? How does this compare to the king's action?
Part 2) Do you believe King Louis always governed in accordance with God's will? Might others have agreed with Joinville? Why or why not?
Part 3) If others shared this belief, how might it have affected their behavior and participation in the Crusades? Are there people today who are thought to act according to God's will? How does this person's actions influence others?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)