|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Crusaders begin to gather in Venice after what in 1202?
2. Around 1244, what promise did King Louis IX make to God?
3. The remaining lands are divided as promised between the French and the Venetians. How do the French rule?
4. Geoffroy and his companions return to France to tell the news, while the others travel where to continue to rally support for the Crusade?
5. Pope Innocent proclaims that anyone who takes up the cross as part of the army for how long will be free from all of their sins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be gathered regarding Murzuphlus' character?
2. What city do the crusaders want to capture? What is known about this city?
3. What is known about Joinville's account of the crusade?
4. What happens prior to arriving in Constantinople?
5. What happens to Thibaut? How do his followers react to his demands?
6. What is happening in Constantinople at this time?
7. Why does the new Emperor leave? What happens when he leaves?
8. How do Lascaris and Henri come to a truce agreement?
9. What happens on the day of the main attack?
10. What happens when the Venetians show the French the warships they have created?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The king leads his army into many battles.
Part 1) Describe two of these battles. What is the purpose of these two battles? Is the king successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does the king lead his men into battle? Do you agree with his decision to do so? Why or why not? Do you believe that this is what God would have wanted? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do these battles permanently change mankind? How does it still affect us today?
Essay Topic 2
Lack of communication and deception are themes.
Part 1) How are these themes? How are these themes found in other stories you have read?
Part 2) Why are lack of communication and deception found between humans? When has it occurred in your own life?
Part 3) What can be done to improve communications and honesty between various groups of people?
Essay Topic 3
The Crusaders lay siege to Zara.
Part 1) Why do they overtake this city? What is the end result of this? How do various characters in this book feel about this? Why?
Part 2) How is destruction a theme in this book? How does the siege of Zara support this theme?
Part 3) Why do armies still overtake cities and countries today? How does this compare to the siege of Zara and this theme of destruction?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)