|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The king finishes his fortification of Jaffa, and decides to do what?
(a) Return to France.
(b) Stay in Jaffa.
(c) Take the city of Nablus from the Saracens, as well as the city of Banyas.
(d) Destroy Jaffa.
2. When the king's brother, Comte de Poitiers, arrives at Cyprus, they decide to sail where?
(a) To Cairo.
(b) To Constantinople.
(c) To Baghdad.
(d) To Sri Lanka.
3. Louis hires knights from Norway, who do what?
(a) Hunt lions.
(b) Fight Tartars.
(d) Sing and dance.
4. Upon payment, the Comte de Poitiers is released. What do the Turks do with the sick French men in Damietta?
(a) They kill them.
(b) They free them.
(c) They torture them.
(d) They enslave them.
5. Does Joinville accompany the king when he again takes the cross?
(c) Not at first.
(d) Only at first.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sultan of Damascus calls his troops from Gaza and enters Egypt, where the emirs of Egypt make a truce. What does this do to the truce with Louis?
2. This time, the king has forbidden the army to battle. At the death of a Templar, what happens?
3. Joinville tells of the Queen of Cyprus, the daughter of the eldest son of Henri the Generous, who is summoned to dispossess who after an argument?
4. Why does the Queen of Cyprus order war?
5. What envoy has several encounters with those differing from the Christian faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terms of the new negotiations from the new powers of the Turks? Describe how these negotiations play out.
2. What is said about the Tartars?
3. What does King Louis do to reform his country?
4. What information do the spies give regarding the Saracen's plans? How does the king react to this?
5. What does Joinville say about King Louis' dealings with the people?
6. Describe the battle along the Nile.
7. What does Joinville say about the king's goodness at this point in the book?
8. During the battle, why does the king decide the French camp must be moved?
9. Why is the king asked to come home to France? Why does he decide to stay abroad?
10. What is the purpose of the Dedication? Describe this Dedication.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)