|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The king, hiding in a village, gives what order?
(a) To surrender.
(b) To ask for a truce.
(c) To retreat.
(d) To keep fighting.
2. How does the king barely escape with his life?
(a) Joinville pulls him up onto his horse as he rides away.
(b) The king bribes one of his enemies to help him escape.
(c) Joinville and his company locate a bridge and hold it for the king to escape.
(d) Joinville and his company sneak into enemy territory and save him.
3. The people of Constantinople and the Comans become blood brothers, united against who?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The French.
(c) The Latins.
(d) The Venetians.
4. Eventually, the sultan and the king come to an agreement, wherein the king would surrender Damietta in exchange for what?
5. What are the two parts of Joinville's book?
(a) A depiction of Louis' life as lived by God, and one of his feats.
(b) Two different stories by Joinville.
(c) Joinville's life before and after the Crusades.
(d) Short stories about all of the Crusades.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king react during the battle when his brother is the first in danger?
2. What is the army doing when the Turks again attack?
3. Louis hires knights from Norway, who do what?
4. The king's army finds themselves camped on one side of __________ with the enemy on the other.
5. The Turks block passage to the French camp, starving the army, and as a result, the king decides what must be done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example when Louis makes peace with others.
2. Describe the battle leading to Damietta being left to the king?
3. What examples does Joinville give for Louis' good teachings?
4. What promise is made by the emirs of Egypt? What are the results of this promise?
5. What does Joinville say about the king's goodness at this point in the book?
6. How does Joinville end up in the king's service?
7. What is said about the Tartars?
8. What information do the spies give regarding the Saracen's plans? How does the king react to this?
9. What happens to Joinville's money?
10. Why is the king asked to come home to France? Why does he decide to stay abroad?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)