|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The translator, R.B. Shaw, begins the novel with a brief introduction that explains what?
(a) The two chronicles given in the novel.
(b) The purpose of this book.
(c) The history of Christianity.
(d) The history of his career.
2. Henri and his troops march to Demotika, determining that what will happen?
(a) They will be killed.
(b) They will win.
(c) They will either win or die.
(d) They will surrender.
3. Johanitza attacks the city of Serres, and the small French garrison within asks for surrender. What happens when Johanitza accepts and promises them no harm?
(a) He stands by his promise.
(b) On surrender, the small garrison finds themselves either sent back to Hungary or beheaded.
(c) He kills the leader of the garrison.
(d) He flees.
4. Joinville's account of the crusade includes what?
(a) His family's experiences in the crusade.
(b) His father's experiences in the crusade.
(c) King Louis' own experiences in the crusade.
(d) His own experiences in the crusade.
5. Murzuphlus is four days from Constantinople. He takes many cities along the way, and Baudouin decides to do what?
(a) Assist Murzuphlus.
(c) Stop his attack.
(d) Convert Murzuphlus.
Short Answer Questions
1. The army then takes the prince near the walls of Constantinople and does what?
2. The army tells the envoy the Emperor does not own the land, and that unless he gives the lands back to the prince, they will do what?
3. What leaves the army highly decreased in numbers?
4. In Constantinople, Prince Issac and his son Alexius escape from whom?
5. Back in Venice, the Venetians show the Franks the warships they have created. Why do the French find themselves short of the amount of money they owe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the French army respond to the Emperor's questioning regarding the attack by the French?
2. What happens when the French and Venetians divide the remaining lands?
3. Describe what takes place when it is decided that an emperor must be elected.
4. What happens after Henri captures Johanitza?
5. What is known about Joinville's life?
6. What do the Greeks of Philippopolis ask of Johanitza? What is his response?
7. What happens when many men do not manage to arrive in Venice after Easter in 1202?
8. What is Murzuphlus' fate?
9. What happens on the day of the main attack?
10. What causes many nobles to take up the cross? Who were some of these noblemen?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)