|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Constantinople, Prince Issac and his son Alexius escape from whom?
(a) Emperor Issac.
(b) Emperor Constantine.
(c) Emperor Alexius.
(d) Emperor Augustus.
2. Johanitza arrives at Philippopolis and accepts the surrender of the people. What does he do after this?
(a) Kills many of the citizens and destroys the city.
(b) He puts the people into his service.
(c) He takes care of the people.
(d) He protects his new citizens.
3. It is soon decided that to take the city, the Venetians will attack by _________.
4. Challengers of his story note that he places blame for several failures of the army on those who deserted the crusade without taking into account social situations outside of the crusades, and that he removes blame purposefully from whom?
5. On the day of the main attack, what happens when the French attempt to scale the walls of the city?
(a) They quickly take over the tower.
(b) They are slowly driven back.
(c) They are quickly driven back.
(d) They slowly take over the tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Joinville write the chronicle?
2. The fourth crusade, chronicled first in the novel, is written by Villehardouin, and is, according to Shaw, the first reliable record of the crusades by whom?
3. Henri and all able men in Constantinople go by land and sea to save Kibotos. Are they successful?
4. For how long does Renier de Trit flee to Stenimaka?
5. Henri and his troops march to Demotika, determining that what will happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trouble takes place between Baudouin and Marquis de Montferrat? How is a peace negotiated between these two men?
2. How did King Louis IX end up taking up the cross and joining the crusade?
3. What can be gathered regarding Murzuphlus' character?
4. What do the Greeks of Philippopolis ask of Johanitza? What is his response?
5. What happens to Thibaut? How do his followers react to his demands?
6. What does Johanitza continue to do? How do the Greeks react to this?
7. What happens prior to arriving in Constantinople?
8. What is Murzuphlus' fate?
9. Describe what takes place when it is decided that an emperor must be elected.
10. What happens on the day of the main attack?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)