|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Egyptians send another envoy for what reason?
(a) To beg for forgiveness.
(b) To reason with the king.
(c) To kill the king and his men.
(d) To beg for another chance.
2. What envoy has several encounters with those differing from the Christian faith?
(a) The envoy to the Sultan of Damascus.
(b) The envoy to Mongolia.
(c) The envoy to the emirs of Egypt.
(d) The envoy to the land of the Tartars.
3. How does the king react during the battle when his brother is the first in danger?
(a) The king drives himself and his army into the area to save him.
(b) The king goes alone to save him.
(c) The king orders his men to surrender under the condition that his brother is allowed to go free.
(d) The king retreats as he orders his men to save his brother.
4. Joinville goes on pilgrimage to Tripoli, and brings back gifts for whom?
(a) His mother.
(b) His men.
(c) The queen.
(d) The king.
5. This time, the king has forbidden the army to battle. At the death of a Templar, what happens?
(a) The king orders the men to chase down and kill the enemy.
(b) The Crusaders retreat.
(c) The others chase down and kill the enemy.
(d) The Crusaders mourn his death.
6. The king lands at the castle of Hyeres in the lands of who?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
7. Why does the king hire Joinville to stay on?
(a) He is a good leader.
(b) His demands are high, as he needs to feed his company.
(c) He is wealthy.
(d) He is very persuasive.
8. Joinville leaves his home to reach what city?
9. Years later, a bishop arrives to investigate the life of Louis at the request of who?
(a) The Pope.
(b) A priest.
(c) King Louis' family.
10. The Saracens move to Acre, and threaten what?
(a) The gardens of Jerusalem.
(b) The gardens of Constantinople.
(c) The gardens of Baghdad.
(d) The gardens of Cairo.
11. They return to Saida to find the king is doing what?
(a) Having the city fortified.
(b) Waiting for him.
(c) Destroying the city.
(d) Preparing to return to France.
12. The king sends religious gifts to the nearby King of Tartars for what reason?
(a) In an attempt to recruit more followers.
(b) He is friends with this king.
(c) In an attempt to keep the peace.
(d) He fears this king.
13. One evening, the Turks begin to shoot fireballs at the army, destroying what?
(a) The camp.
(b) The castle.
(c) The tents.
(d) The towers.
14. Joinville gives most of the money to who for safe keeping?
(a) His men.
(b) The king.
(c) The church.
(d) His brother.
15. Louis teaches that faith in God should be so complete that what happens?
(a) Nothing can make one doubt.
(b) Nothing can make one unhappy.
(c) Nothing can make one willing to go against God.
(d) Nothing can make one sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The king, hiding in a village, gives what order?
2. The people of Constantinople and the Comans become blood brothers, united against who?
3. Does Joinville accompany the king when he again takes the cross?
4. The king's army finds themselves camped on one side of __________ with the enemy on the other.
5. What are the two parts of Joinville's book?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)