|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Constantinople, what happens to Murzuphlus when he has been captured?
(a) He is tortured.
(b) He is thrown from a marble column in the center of town, which kills him.
(c) He escapes.
(d) He is locked in a tower.
2. The Crusaders send an envoy into Constantinople to ask the new Emperor to do what?
(a) Change the laws.
(b) Ratify the covenant his son proclaimed at the beginning of their journey.
(c) Give them payment for saving him.
(d) Help them return home.
3. What is the goal of the crusades?
(a) To convert all to Christianity.
(b) To capture the Holy City Jerusalem.
(c) To kill those who are not Christians.
(d) To return Europe to Christianity.
4. Once the two men meet, what happens between Baudouin and the Marquis?
(b) Many battles.
(d) Peace is made between them.
5. Geoffroy returns to France to find Thibaut how?
(a) Very powerful.
(c) Very ill.
6. Villehardouin and Comte Hugues are chosen to travel to meet some of the defecting barons to do what?
(a) Attempt to bring them back to Venice.
(b) Attempt to convince them to leave for Cairo.
(c) Attempt to bring them back to Paris.
(d) Attempt to convert them.
7. Murzuphlus calls on previous emperor Alexius for aid, and Alexius promises help. When Alexius invites him to the palace, what happens?
(a) Murzuphlus sign a treaty.
(b) Alexius tears out Murzuphlus' eyes.
(c) Murzuphlus tears out Alexius' eyes.
(d) Murzuphlus kills Alexius.
8. The troops decide that an emperor must be elected, and choose who?
(a) Comte de Monte Christo.
(b) Comte Louis.
(c) Comte Baudouin de Flandre et de Hainaut.
(d) Marquis de Montferrat.
9. Challengers of his story note that he places blame for several failures of the army on those who deserted the crusade without taking into account social situations outside of the crusades, and that he removes blame purposefully from whom?
10. Johanitza arrives at Philippopolis and accepts the surrender of the people. What does he do after this?
(a) He takes care of the people.
(b) He puts the people into his service.
(c) Kills many of the citizens and destroys the city.
(d) He protects his new citizens.
11. As Henri's army moves toward the city, they are sidetracked again by Lascaris' attack on Nicomedia, and move to save their soldiers hiding in what church?
(a) The Church of Saint Ann.
(b) The Church of Saint Sophia.
(c) The Church of Saint Matthew.
(d) The Church of Saint John.
12. When did Joinville write the chronicle?
(a) A few years after the Crusade ended.
(b) Very late in life.
(c) During the Crusade.
(d) At the end of the Crusade.
13. What deal does The Doge of Venice make with the army?
(a) If the French crusaders will help him and his army take over Zara, the Venetians will postpone payment of the remaining money.
(b) If the French crusaders will help him and his army take over Cairo, the Venetians will postpone payment of the remaining money.
(c) If the French crusaders will help him and his army take over Paris, the Venetians will postpone payment of the remaining money.
(d) If the French crusaders will help him and his army take over Constantinope, the Venetians will postpone payment of the remaining money.
14. Henri and all able men in Constantinople go by land and sea to save Kibotos. Are they successful?
(d) Only at first.
15. On reaching Cape Malia, they find two ships full of what?
(b) Sick men.
(c) The enemy.
(d) Those who had previously deserted the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henri and his troops follow the retreating soldiers of Lascaris until when?
2. Baudouin and his troops attack Adrianople, but find it protected by whom?
3. When did Villehardouin write the chronicle?
4. The army tells the envoy the Emperor does not own the land, and that unless he gives the lands back to the prince, they will do what?
5. In Constantinople, who does Emperor Henri marry?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)