|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fourth crusade, chronicled first in the novel, is written by Villehardouin, and is, according to Shaw, the first reliable record of the crusades by whom?
(a) The Saxons.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Venetians.
(d) The French.
2. When did Joinville take the cross?
3. For how long did the French army camp on one side of the straits while Alexius and his army camp on the other?
(a) Nine days,
(b) Eight days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Six days.
4. Who preached for a war to capture Jerusalem?
(a) Louis IV.
(b) Peter the Great.
(c) Peter the Hermit.
5. The army tells the envoy the Emperor does not own the land, and that unless he gives the lands back to the prince, they will do what?
(a) Continue to attack.
(b) Continue the Crusades.
(c) Continue to wait.
6. Henri and his troops follow the retreating soldiers of Lascaris until when?
(a) Lascaris surrenders.
(b) Henri dies.
(c) He offers a truce agreement.
(d) Lascaris dies.
7. The expedition would travel to Cairo to crush the Turks first, and would meet in Venice by when in 1202?
(a) Saint Joseph's Day.
(b) Saint Matthew's Day.
(c) Saint Thomas's Day.
(d) Saint John's Day.
8. The army then takes the prince near the walls of Constantinople and does what?
(a) Shows him to the people.
(b) Asks him to beg his people for forgiveness.
(c) Threatens him.
(d) Throws him over a wall.
9. What does Baudouin promise the Doge he will do?
(a) Go to Venice.
(b) Go to Constantinople.
(c) Continue to do as he pleases.
(d) Kill the Marquis.
10. Other troops land in a town near Turkey, and do what?
(a) Raid it.
(b) Ignore it.
(c) Protect it and make peace.
(d) Burn it.
11. When did Louis begin the Eighth Crusade?
12. Who is Henri?
(a) Father of the Emperor.
(b) The Emperor.
(c) Brother of the Emperor.
(d) Cousin of the Emperor.
13. What happens to Renier de Trit's son, brother, nephew, and son-in-law?
(a) They are pardoned by King Johanitza.
(b) They are beheaded by King Johanitza.
(c) They are tortured by King Johanitza.
(d) They are tricked by King Johanitza.
14. In his will, Thibaut leaves his money to his followers on what condition?
(a) They do not join the crusade.
(b) They join the crusade.
(c) They financially support the crusade.
(d) They fight the crusaders.
15. The Crusaders begin to gather in Venice after what in 1202?
(a) Palm Sunday.
(d) Good Friday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in Venice, the Venetians show the Franks the warships they have created. Why do the French find themselves short of the amount of money they owe?
2. In Salonika, the marquis captures Alexius and does what to him?
3. Around 1244, what promise did King Louis IX make to God?
4. Where does Emperor Baudouin die?
5. The Doge makes what offer, if the French agree to pay five marks per horse and two marks per man?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)