|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The translator, R.B. Shaw, begins the novel with a brief introduction that explains what?
(a) The purpose of this book.
(b) The two chronicles given in the novel.
(c) The history of his career.
(d) The history of Christianity.
2. The barons camp at the tower of ________, knowing the Greeks will soon attack. When they do so the following morning, they are defeated swiftly, and the army takes the tower.
3. Once the two men meet, what happens between Baudouin and the Marquis?
(a) Peace is made between them.
(b) Many battles.
4. Shaw states Villehardouin made it clear the problems between the Franks and the Greeks, as well as the greed of the Franks, led to what?
(a) The downfall of the army and the crusade.
(b) The fall of Jerusalem.
(c) The Crusades.
(d) The power of the army.
5. All the barons hold a conference, and send envoys to Venice to do what?
(a) Convert the Venetians.
(b) Convince the Venetians to fight for Jerusalem.
(c) Fight the Venetians.
(d) Gather supplies and aid.
6. The expedition would travel to Cairo to crush the Turks first, and would meet in Venice by when in 1202?
(a) Saint Joseph's Day.
(b) Saint Matthew's Day.
(c) Saint Thomas's Day.
(d) Saint John's Day.
7. The Greeks of Philippopolis send word to Johanitza that they will do what?
(a) Surrender the city to him.
(b) Convert to Christianity.
(c) Join his army.
(d) Attack him.
8. The army tells the envoy the Emperor does not own the land, and that unless he gives the lands back to the prince, they will do what?
(b) Continue the Crusades.
(c) Continue to wait.
(d) Continue to attack.
9. Why do the Greeks begin to rebel against Johanitza?
(a) He is destroying their cities.
(b) He is becoming too powerful.
(c) He has deserted them.
(d) He is stealing their city's wealth.
10. Villehardouin and Comte Hugues are chosen to travel to meet some of the defecting barons to do what?
(a) Attempt to bring them back to Venice.
(b) Attempt to convince them to leave for Cairo.
(c) Attempt to bring them back to Paris.
(d) Attempt to convert them.
11. The fourth crusade, chronicled first in the novel, is written by Villehardouin, and is, according to Shaw, the first reliable record of the crusades by whom?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Venetians.
(c) The French.
(d) The Saxons.
12. In Salonika, the marquis captures Alexius and does what to him?
(a) Has him imprisoned.
(b) He frees him.
(c) He questions him.
(d) He tortures him.
13. As Johanitza loses his Coman soldiers, he retreats from where?
14. What is the goal of the crusades?
(a) To return Europe to Christianity.
(b) To kill those who are not Christians.
(c) To capture the Holy City Jerusalem.
(d) To convert all to Christianity.
15. The Marquis de Montferrat calls for all members of the army to do what?
(a) Regroup in Venice.
(b) Return home.
(c) Bring the spoils they have won to him so they can be redistributed evenly.
(d) Keep the spoils they have won.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long was this holy city transferred back and forth between Christians and the Turks before a Holy War was initiated by Pope Gregory VII?
2. The Crusaders begin to gather in Venice after what in 1202?
3. Murzuphlus is four days from Constantinople. He takes many cities along the way, and Baudouin decides to do what?
4. He notes that Villehardouin saw his crusade as what?
5. Geoffroy returns to France to find Thibaut how?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)