|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, King Johanitza Ravages the Empire through Chapter 21, Excursions Outside the Empire.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is elected the new Emperor?
2. What leaves the army highly decreased in numbers?
(c) Many Barons escape.
3. Johanitza arrives at Philippopolis and accepts the surrender of the people. What does he do after this?
(a) Kills many of the citizens and destroys the city.
(b) He puts the people into his service.
(c) He takes care of the people.
(d) He protects his new citizens.
4. Murzuphlus calls on previous emperor Alexius for aid, and Alexius promises help. When Alexius invites him to the palace, what happens?
(a) Alexius tears out Murzuphlus' eyes.
(b) Murzuphlus kills Alexius.
(c) Murzuphlus sign a treaty.
(d) Murzuphlus tears out Alexius' eyes.
5. Through the next several decades, the area was overrun by Turks, and won back by Christians when?
(a) In the first three Crusades.
(b) In the first Crusade.
(c) In the third Crusade.
(d) In the second Crusade.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lascaris attacks the lands on one side of the straits, Johanitza attacks what city?
2. Shaw closes the introduction by noting that he has modernized the chronicles for what reason?
3. As Henri's army moves toward the city, they are sidetracked again by Lascaris' attack on Nicomedia, and move to save their soldiers hiding in what church?
4. The troops decide that an emperor must be elected, and choose who?
5. The envoys reach Venice, and explain to the Doge of Venice, Enrico Dandolo, that their masters wish the Venetians to do what for them?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)