|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Voyage to Scutari through Chapter 12, Second Siege of Constantinople.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long was this holy city transferred back and forth between Christians and the Turks before a Holy War was initiated by Pope Gregory VII?
(a) Hundreds of years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) One hundred years.
(d) Thousands of years.
2. In his will, Thibaut leaves his money to his followers on what condition?
(a) They join the crusade.
(b) They do not join the crusade.
(c) They fight the crusaders.
(d) They financially support the crusade.
3. The Emperor leaves for a tour of his empire to regain support, but, during that time, what happens?
(a) The British attack Constantinople.
(b) The Latins and the Greeks in the city have a large argument, during which the Latins set fire to the city.
(c) He dies.
(d) His lands fall into the hands of the French and Venetians.
4. Villehardouin and Comte Hugues are chosen to travel to meet some of the defecting barons to do what?
(a) Attempt to bring them back to Venice.
(b) Attempt to convince them to leave for Cairo.
(c) Attempt to bring them back to Paris.
(d) Attempt to convert them.
5. The fleet stops at Andros and overruns the area until when?
(a) They run out of ammunitions.
(b) The Pope tells them to return home.
(c) They become bored.
(d) The Emperor pays them in money and goods.
Short Answer Questions
1. A reconnaissance force of French soldiers attacks a Greek pavilion, and succeeds in forcing the Greek forces to flee. The following day, an envoy from the Emperor arrives and does what?
2. The fourth crusade, chronicled first in the novel, is written by Villehardouin, and is, according to Shaw, the first reliable record of the crusades by whom?
3. Back in Venice, the Venetians show the Franks the warships they have created. Why do the French find themselves short of the amount of money they owe?
4. When did Joinville take the cross?
5. The army then takes the prince near the walls of Constantinople and does what?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)