|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Muster-roll of the Fourth Crusade through Chapter 6, Discord in the Army.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in Venice, the Venetians show the Franks the warships they have created. Why do the French find themselves short of the amount of money they owe?
(a) So many of the army have not appeared as planned.
(b) So many of the army did not convert as planned.
(c) So many of the army have become ill.
(d) So many of the army have died.
2. The fourth crusade, chronicled first in the novel, is written by Villehardouin, and is, according to Shaw, the first reliable record of the crusades by whom?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Saxons.
(c) The Venetians.
(d) The French.
3. Jean de Joinville, author of the second book, grew up as a powerful figure in that he was Lord of Joinville when?
(a) As a small child.
(b) As a young adult.
(c) In his later years.
(d) In his early teens.
4. Through the next several decades, the area was overrun by Turks, and won back by Christians when?
(a) In the third Crusade.
(b) In the first three Crusades.
(c) In the second Crusade.
(d) In the first Crusade.
5. The translator, R.B. Shaw, begins the novel with a brief introduction that explains what?
(a) The two chronicles given in the novel.
(b) The history of Christianity.
(c) The history of his career.
(d) The purpose of this book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Simultaneously, a fleet of ships with hundreds of men sail through the Straits of Morocco to Venice, but these men, along with many others, failed to do what?
2. When did Joinville take the cross?
3. For how long was this holy city transferred back and forth between Christians and the Turks before a Holy War was initiated by Pope Gregory VII?
4. The Crusaders begin to gather in Venice after what in 1202?
5. The expedition would travel to Cairo to crush the Turks first, and would meet in Venice by when in 1202?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)