|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird's-Eye shoots at David how many times, purposefully missing?
2. The story is about a preacher that the people want to be what?
3. David sees the mountain folk as what?
4. Toward morning, who appears at the back door of the Mission House?
5. Why does the school stay open during the epidemic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the calling from God that Christy feels in chapters 27 and 28.
2. Explain the funny incident that occurs at the school's closing ceremonies with Creed Allen.
3. Do you agree with Christy accusing Dr. MacNeill of knowing that Tom was shot by Birds-Eye because Tom had decided to change sides because of Dr. MacNeill's visit to the McHones? Why or why not?
4. Do you agree with Miss Alice still being so religious after being raped by a preacher?
5. Explain how David alerting the US Marshals comes back to haunt him with regard to the incidents of Prince's tail and the church pulpit, in chapters 23 and 34.
6. What reason does Dr. MacNeill give for helping the blockaders and do you agree with it?
7. Why do you think Miss Alice is reluctant to allow Christy to help her care for Ruby Mae and did Christy make the right choice in going anyway?
8. Should David have gotten the US Marshals involved in finding the moonshine stills, even though it made him a target?
9. Explain how the events of Tom McHone's Death may impact the future of Cutter Gap.
10. What discovery does Christy make at Dr. MacNeill's cabin that causes her to have renewed respect for the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
CHRISTY is a book that is full of life lessons.
Part 1: Choose any three major life lessons that the book taught and describe the sections of the book where those lessons were taught. Then, explain which of those three life lessons you feel was the most important and why.
Part 2: Was there anything taught in the book that you disagreed with? If not, why not? If so, what was it and why did you disagree with it?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the doctor's loss of faith, using several examples from the book. Also, explain whether or not you think it's possible for doctors, in general, to believe in higher powers. Why or why not? Do you think that faith in unseen things helps or hinders medical professionals?
Essay Topic 3
The mountain people are very self-reliant and wary of outsiders. Write about two concrete examples of that from the story. One should be an example of how that attitude helped one of them. The other should be about a time that that attitude hurt one of them. Based on your findings, write about whether you feel that self-reliance is a good or bad trait and why.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)