|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next day, the school's closing events are held and Creed Allen brings what to the event?
2. Christy learns that God accepts individuals under what rule?
3. The next day, Ruby Mae and _______ discover that Prince's beautiful flowing tail and mane have been shorn.
4. Christy and Will set to work peeling and slicing what to heat for poultices?
5. Christy spends the night at the McHones, and the night is interrupted with Tom, his father and _______ coming into the cabin.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Fairlight's death causes Christy to be disappointed in both herself and David.
2. Do you agree with Miss Alice still being so religious after being raped by a preacher?
3. Why is Christy upset with Dr. MacNeill over the whole incident involving the blockaders?
4. What is Opal's approach to handling Birds-Eye and his men?
5. What is Christy's dream for the mountain people and how does she begin to put it into practice, in Chapters 31 and 32?
6. Do you agree with Christy accusing Dr. MacNeill of knowing that Tom was shot by Birds-Eye because Tom had decided to change sides because of Dr. MacNeill's visit to the McHones? Why or why not?
7. Should David have gotten the US Marshals involved in finding the moonshine stills, even though it made him a target?
8. Why do you think Miss Alice is reluctant to allow Christy to help her care for Ruby Mae and did Christy make the right choice in going anyway?
9. What things is David uncertain about in Chapters 29 and 30 and how do those things cause Christy to be unsure?
10. Explain David's decree about women and guns and whether or not you agree with it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Feuding is one of the major themes of the book. Explain which families are feuding, why they are feuding and what the direct and indirect results of those feuds are throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
CHRISTY is a novel about the author's mother, who moves from an affluent city to the mountains to teach school in a small mountain community, Cutter Gap. Using examples from the story to back up your answers, answer the following questions about Christy's move to Cutter Gap:
1. Explain why Christy moved to Cutter Gap.
2. What shocking things did Christy discover about Cutter Gap, shortly after her arrival?
3. If you were Christy, would you have moved to Cutter Gap? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any character from the book that you want and describe the physical and emotional changes that you feel he/she went through, as the book progressed. Why did those changes take place? What were the results for that character? Also, how did those results impact other characters?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)