|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bob Allen's older brother is whom?
2. Before Christy leaves for her break with her family in Asheville, she visits who?
3. Lundy Taylor's stay as a boarder at the Mission House results from his father's what?
4. Christy is troubled because David never tells her what?
5. The mountain folks refuse to accept the idea that typhoid bacilli can be present by the billions in their what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fears of Zady and Fairlight and what they stand for.
2. Why is Christy upset with Dr. MacNeill over the whole incident involving the blockaders?
3. Explain how the events of Tom McHone's Death may impact the future of Cutter Gap.
4. What discovery does Christy make at Dr. MacNeill's cabin that causes her to have renewed respect for the doctor?
5. Explain how Fairlight's death causes Christy to be disappointed in both herself and David.
6. What reason does Dr. MacNeill give for helping the blockaders and do you agree with it?
7. How is the theme of teamwork illustrated, in Chapters 41 and 42?
8. Explain why David is initially opposed to Ruby Mae's marriage.
9. Do you agree with Miss Alice still being so religious after being raped by a preacher?
10. Explain how David alerting the US Marshals comes back to haunt him with regard to the incidents of Prince's tail and the church pulpit, in chapters 23 and 34.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationships between Christy and David and Christy and the doctor play a very prominent role in the book. Answer the following questions about those relationships, using examples from the book to back up your responses.
1. Why do you feel that David is attracted to Christy and Christy is attracted to David?
2. Why do you feel that the doctor is attracted to Christy and Christy is attracted to the doctor?
3. Which of the two men, David and the doctor, do you feel that Christy should marry, if either one, and why? If she shouldn't marry either one, in your opinion, why is that the case?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any character from the book that you want and describe the physical and emotional changes that you feel he/she went through, as the book progressed. Why did those changes take place? What were the results for that character? Also, how did those results impact other characters?
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the book is very important to the entire feel of the story.
Part 1: Choose a section of the book and describe the setting and how that setting impacted the feel of that part of the book.
Part 2: Using the same setting example from part one, explain how even a subtle change of setting could have altered the feel of that part of the book and what impact that might have had on story progression.
Part 3: Describe any part of the book where you feel the setting was lacking. How would you have increased setting description to help the story?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)