|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has come early to get the stove started so that the room is warm for Christy and the children?
2. The first child to greet her is Little Burl whose last name is what?
3. Christy finds Mr. Pentland where and asks him to take her on to Cutter Gap?
4. What is the last name of the girl with the speech impediment?
5. The children would rather learn what than English grammar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you feel that Christy is more a teacher or a student and why?
2. Is Opal McHone a good mother?
3. Why is the Spencer family pet unusual?
4. What is Dr. MacNeill's challenge for Christy and the mission?
5. Why is Christy so discouraged about her work with the children after a month?
6. Explain how sewing buttons on a coat helped Christy to make progress with the children.
7. Briefly describe Dr. MacNeill's family history.
8. What lesson does Christy learn about vanity on the first day of school?
9. Why does the arrival of a piano cause problems for Christy?
10. When the phone comes to Cutter Gap, everyone is excited. Explain how this seems contradictory to the rest of the book so far.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
CHRISTY is a book that is full of life lessons.
Part 1: Choose any three major life lessons that the book taught and describe the sections of the book where those lessons were taught. Then, explain which of those three life lessons you feel was the most important and why.
Part 2: Was there anything taught in the book that you disagreed with? If not, why not? If so, what was it and why did you disagree with it?
Essay Topic 2
Feuding is one of the major themes of the book. Explain which families are feuding, why they are feuding and what the direct and indirect results of those feuds are throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
CHRISTY is a novel about the author's mother, who moves from an affluent city to the mountains to teach school in a small mountain community, Cutter Gap. Using examples from the story to back up your answers, answer the following questions about Christy's move to Cutter Gap:
1. Explain why Christy moved to Cutter Gap.
2. What shocking things did Christy discover about Cutter Gap, shortly after her arrival?
3. If you were Christy, would you have moved to Cutter Gap? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)