|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The only source of heat in the cabin is what?
2. What is the name of the Spencer family pet?
3. Filled with pride at her success, Christy writes to advertisers in what magazine, asking not for money, but for donations of their products.
4. How many letters does Christy realize that the mailman has?
5. Christy stumbles through _________ on her way to Mrs. Tatum's.
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Christy's anger towards Dr. MacNeill about the death of Opal's baby?
2. Is Opal McHone a good mother?
3. What makes Christy volunteer in Cutter Gap and would you have done such a thing, if you were in her place?
4. What is the relationship between love and learning and how does Christy discover it?
5. Do you feel that Christy's great love of children is good or bad and why?
6. When the phone comes to Cutter Gap, everyone is excited. Explain how this seems contradictory to the rest of the book so far.
7. What is Dr. MacNeill's challenge for Christy and the mission?
8. Is Christy an optimist?
9. Do you think that it was Christy's business to try to mend the rift between Ruby Mae's parents?
10. Explain how sewing buttons on a coat helped Christy to make progress with the children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
CHRISTY is a book that is full of life lessons.
Part 1: Choose any three major life lessons that the book taught and describe the sections of the book where those lessons were taught. Then, explain which of those three life lessons you feel was the most important and why.
Part 2: Was there anything taught in the book that you disagreed with? If not, why not? If so, what was it and why did you disagree with it?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the doctor's loss of faith, using several examples from the book. Also, explain whether or not you think it's possible for doctors, in general, to believe in higher powers. Why or why not? Do you think that faith in unseen things helps or hinders medical professionals?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any character from the book that you want and describe the physical and emotional changes that you feel he/she went through, as the book progressed. Why did those changes take place? What were the results for that character? Also, how did those results impact other characters?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)