|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does the girl with the impediment utter clearly after Christy helps her?
2. Fairlight's deepest wish is to learn to what?
3. Christy decides to meet with the richest man she knows in Knoxville, Mr. Hazen L. ________.
4. By taking some of her slowest readers ___________, Christy discovers that they learn faster.
5. The oldest son is prone to what sort of medical problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Christy revisits the Gap, many things bring back memories for her. What are some of those things?
2. Are the mountain people mean and impersonal on purpose, in your opinion?
3. What is Miss Alice like?
4. Do you feel that Christy is more a teacher or a student and why?
5. Briefly describe Dr. MacNeill's family history.
6. Why is Christy so discouraged about her work with the children after a month?
7. Is Opal McHone a good mother?
8. What is Mrs. Tatum's reaction to Christy's desire to go to Cutter Gap and teach and do you agree with it? Why or why not?
9. Explain the significance of the trashed school.
10. What is Dr. MacNeill's challenge for Christy and the mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Illegal alcohol running is a big part of the story.
Part 1: What characters seemed to be most impacted by the illegal making and trading of moonshine? In what ways were their lives altered?
Part 2: The mountain people made moonshine to earn a living, even though it was illegal. Do you agree or disagree with them trying to support their families that way? What are your reasons?
Part 3: Dr MacNeill warned the blockaders about the US Marshals. Explain why he did so and whether or not you would have done so, if you were in his place.
Essay Topic 2
Feuding is one of the major themes of the book. Explain which families are feuding, why they are feuding and what the direct and indirect results of those feuds are throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
The mountain people are very self-reliant and wary of outsiders. Write about two concrete examples of that from the story. One should be an example of how that attitude helped one of them. The other should be about a time that that attitude hurt one of them. Based on your findings, write about whether you feel that self-reliance is a good or bad trait and why.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)