|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does Christy realize that the mailman has?
2. By taking some of her slowest readers ___________, Christy discovers that they learn faster.
3. What is the main location of the book?
4. Filled with pride at her success, Christy writes to advertisers in what magazine, asking not for money, but for donations of their products.
5. The children would rather learn what than English grammar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Miss Alice like?
2. Do you agree with Christy's anger towards Dr. MacNeill about the death of Opal's baby?
3. Explain how sewing buttons on a coat helped Christy to make progress with the children.
4. When the phone comes to Cutter Gap, everyone is excited. Explain how this seems contradictory to the rest of the book so far.
5. What is Dr. MacNeill's challenge for Christy and the mission?
6. Do you think that it was Christy's business to try to mend the rift between Ruby Mae's parents?
7. What role does religion play in Christy's move to Cutter Gap?
8. What point does Miss Alice try to make to Christy about Christy's job in Cutter Gap?
9. Describe the situation with the injured man in the Spencer cabin and why it upsets Christy.
10. Why does the arrival of a piano cause problems for Christy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List five major differences between Christy's life in Asheville and her life in Cutter Gap. Then, explain whether or not, based on those differences, you feel that Christy should have stayed in Asheville, rather than ever coming to the Gap. What is the reasoning behind your decision?
Essay Topic 2
Illegal alcohol running is a big part of the story.
Part 1: What characters seemed to be most impacted by the illegal making and trading of moonshine? In what ways were their lives altered?
Part 2: The mountain people made moonshine to earn a living, even though it was illegal. Do you agree or disagree with them trying to support their families that way? What are your reasons?
Part 3: Dr MacNeill warned the blockaders about the US Marshals. Explain why he did so and whether or not you would have done so, if you were in his place.
Essay Topic 3
Lundy Taylor is a murderer and Miss Alice knows about it. Yet, she cares for Lundy anyway. Answer the following questions about that situation:
Part 1: Why do you think Miss Alice cared for Lundy?
Part 2: In your opinion, did Lundy deserve to die?
Part 3: What would you have done about Lundy's situation, if you were Miss Alice? Why would you have made that decision?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)