|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most expensive ingredient for making fruitcake?
2. What does Queenie do when Truman knocks on Mr. Haha Jones' door?
3. What whirls in the kitchen while Truman and the woman make fruitcake?
4. Why does the woman want the tree to be twice as tall as a boy?
5. How many hatchet strokes does it take to take down the tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of happiness shown in this book? Describe which characters are most affected by this theme.
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of Mr. Haha Jones also introduces the theme of not judging a book by its cover. Even though the woman had other people judge her do you think it was hard for her not to judge Mr. Haha Jones? Why or why not? Do you think there are other characters in this book that experienced this problem either by being the one judged or being the one who judges others? Name one of these characters and explain their involvement with this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the simple things that the woman enjoys in life. Does this make the woman an easy target for people to ridicule her? Why? Do you think the woman cared that people thought she was strange or different? What simple things do you think Truman learned to enjoy from the woman? Do you think the relatives enjoyed any of life's simplicities? Why or why not?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)