|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the woman and Truman win in a national football contest?
2. What does the woman tame?
3. Who owns the baby carriage?
4. How many of these things must the woman and Truman kill to earn a penny?
5. Who is Queenie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the place where the woman and Truman find the tree.
2. What things do the woman and Truman gather in the baby carriage and what does the baby carriage look like?
3. Describe Mr. Haha Jones' cafe.
4. What is the purpose of Truman mentioning the kites at the end of the story?
5. What is one theme that Truman Capote brings out in A Christmas Memory? Name one part of the story that uses this theme.
6. What is the contrast between Mr. Haha Jones' cafe in the day versus the night?
7. What does Mr. Haha Jones do after the woman asks for whiskey?
8. Why does the woman call Truman "Buddy"?
9. Truman mentions the items the woman and himself have to buy to make their fruitcakes. Name the items that the woman and Truman must buy to complete their fruitcakes.
10. Describe the woman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The introduction of Mr. Haha Jones also introduces the theme of not judging a book by its cover. Even though the woman had other people judge her do you think it was hard for her not to judge Mr. Haha Jones? Why or why not? Do you think there are other characters in this book that experienced this problem either by being the one judged or being the one who judges others? Name one of these characters and explain their involvement with this theme.
Essay Topic 2
The book, A Christmas Memory, was based on Truman Capote's life. Truman Capote became a well known writer. How do you think his childhood experiences contributed to his outcome as a human being? Obviously Truman's cousin influenced him for the better, but what other characters do you think shaped Truman into the eventual adult he would become? How did these character's influence Truman's future?
Essay Topic 3
There is an underlying theme of giving in A Christmas Memory. Name two characters other than the woman that gave of themselves in some way in this book. Name a specific instance for both characters and explain what their expectations were after they gave of themselves. Compare and contrast these two characters' methods of giving.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)