|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman knows an old time Indian cure that is supposed to remove what?
2. What does the woman read?
3. What is the name of the woman's childhood friend?
4. How much money does the woman think she has counted out of the purse?
5. Where do Truman and the woman count their earned money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Queenie.
2. What are some of the woman's physical features that Truman mentions in the story?
3. What is the contrast between Mr. Haha Jones' cafe in the day versus the night?
4. Describe the woman's relationship with the relatives.
5. Why does the woman call Truman "Buddy"?
6. Name two adjectives to describe Mr. Haha Jones and why you chose these particular words.
7. Why are the relatives referred to as "those who know best"?
8. Name some ways that Truman and the woman earned money to make fruitcake.
9. The money for the fruitcake fund is hidden in what way?
10. Name one theme presented in the book and give one example of how it's used.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truman Capote does a good job in explaining and describing many objects in the story. Capote describes each piece of money from the bead purse in different ways. Explain why you think Capote used such detail when describing money. Why do you think that is important? What element does it add to the story? Does it make the woman and Truman seem more poor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of happiness shown in this book? Describe which characters are most affected by this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Would you consider the woman or Truman to be the protagonist character in the book? Why? Name at least two characters that would be the antagonist and why you consider them as someone that is against either Truman or the woman.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)