|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Queenie?
2. What does Truman describe as being sherry-colored?
3. What does the woman have courage to do?
4. What are the flowers on the woman's hat made of?
5. What is the woman's favorite color?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the woman change after Truman leaves for military school?
2. How does Truman describe the money after they spill it from the bead purse?
3. Who are some of the people that Truman and the woman make fruitcakes for?
4. How does Truman's absence affect the woman?
5. In Section 1, the woman declares that she knew it was fruitcake weather "before I got out of bed". What things does she mention that help her come to this conclusion?
6. What is the contrast between Mr. Haha Jones' cafe in the day versus the night?
7. What happens when the woman and Truman go out to fly their kites?
8. Describe Mr. Haha Jones' cafe.
9. What two adjectives would describe the woman? Give reasons for both.
10. Why does the woman call Truman "Buddy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book, A Christmas Memory, was based on Truman Capote's life. Truman Capote became a well known writer. How do you think his childhood experiences contributed to his outcome as a human being? Obviously Truman's cousin influenced him for the better, but what other characters do you think shaped Truman into the eventual adult he would become? How did these character's influence Truman's future?
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite character in A Christmas Memory? What benefits does this character bring to the story? Without this character in the story, how would things be different? Name some things that might remain the same if this character did not exist.
Essay Topic 3
The introduction of Mr. Haha Jones also introduces the theme of not judging a book by its cover. Even though the woman had other people judge her do you think it was hard for her not to judge Mr. Haha Jones? Why or why not? Do you think there are other characters in this book that experienced this problem either by being the one judged or being the one who judges others? Name one of these characters and explain their involvement with this theme.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)