|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing about which Hannah complains to Guy as they discuss their relationship?
2. What do the women do in response to Dafydd's stage direction in the scene between Crispin and Guy?
3. Why does Hannah think that Guy says that he loves her?
4. What did Jarvis promise he would do for Guy after their discussion about his land?
5. After someone drops out of the production, what role does Dafydd ask Guy to accept?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The end of The Beggar's Opera has MacHeath being reprieved and all supposedly forgiven. Draw a parallel between the ending of The Beggar's Opera and the ending of A Chorus of Disapproval, illustrating the melding of the two endings into one resolution.
Essay Topic 2
The Beggar's Opera was written in 1728 by John Gay. A Chorus of Disapproval was written in 1984 by Alan Ayckbourn. The political climates during these times were vastly different, not to mention the extremely divergent attitude toward sex and morality. Yet, Ayckbourn seems to find a way to seamlessly merge the two plays into a flowing, interesting commentary on politics and morality which might suit any era. How do you think Ayckbourn manages to accomplish this difficult creative feat?
Essay Topic 3
Dafydd is obviously passionately dedicated to The Beggar's Opera. He seems to spend all of his free time focusing on perfecting the play. His day job as a lawyer is very time consuming and often takes him away from home. Keeping this in mind, what do you think his relationship is like with his wife and daughters? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)