|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts the conversation between Guy and the woman flirting with him?
2. Who is Fay's husband?
3. What does Hannah do while the men are discussing Guy's character?
4. What do the changing lights indicate at the end of the performance?
5. Dafydd says that everything in the Llewellyn house is ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the description of Dafydd's home tell you about his family?
2. Again, we see an example of Guy's innocence. Though Rebecca nearly outright confesses to starting the BLM rumor, Guy is still puzzled about who would have done so and why. How does Rebecca describe the possible events leading up to the rumor?
3. What does Act 1, Scene 4 tell you about Dafydd's character? Does him seem self absorbed and boorish or simply clueless? Why?
4. What does Jarvis's sawdust story tell you about him?
5. Guy's roles appear to be intricately tied into what a woman is encouraging Dafydd to do as far as the role goes. Cite some examples of this.
6. Guy is barely mentioned in Act 1, Scene 3, but the reader is still able to glean additional information about his personality. What does this scene tell you about him?
7. In Act 1, Scene 4, we learn of Guy's wife's death and why he wanted to join The Beggar's Opera. What effect, good or bad, do you think his wife's death will have on his future relationships with women
8. Compare/contrast Dafydd and Guy. What do you think is the importance of this relationship to the play?
9. Does Fay seem to have a genuine emotional attachment to Guy, or do you think everything she does is for what she can get out of it?
10. What is the importance of the second song from The Beggar's Opera in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rebecca is clearly elbow deep in the rumors surrounding the BLM land deal. What do you think her motives are in starting these rumors?
Essay Topic 2
One of the subplots in A Chorus of Disapproval is the rumor about BLM's interest in Jarvis's land. What purpose does this subplot serve? How is it tied into the other story lines? What do you think the author's purpose is in including it in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dafydd's temper eventually drives several of his actors away, leaving an opening for Guy to move up. Do you think this is purposeful? Why would Dafydd want to see Guy advance in the company?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)