|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bridget carrying when she first meets Guy?
2. Why does Hannah run out of the room when Dafydd brings Guy to his home?
3. What does Hannah ask Guy to do while he is on stage practicing his craft?
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Dafydd do when he finally loses his temper completely?
5. What does Hannah say about Guy when Dafydd tells her what character he has chosen for Guy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rebecca makes a request of Guy. What does her request involve?
2. Why do you think Guy approaches Jarvis with information about the BLM land deal?
3. What does Ian's confession to Dafydd about Hannah and Guy tell you about Ian's motivations?
4. Newly entrenched in the lead role as MacHeath, Guy sings a song at the end of Act 2, Scene 2. What is the importance of the song?
5. Guy was married, but he still seems quite naive when it comes to sexual innuendos. Give an example of his naiveté as it relates Act 1, Scene 6.
6. Again, a song from The Beggar's Opera is used to add to the scene. What is the importance of this song to Act 1, Scene 5?
7. What does Act 1, Scene 4 tell you about Dafydd's character? Does him seem self absorbed and boorish or simply clueless? Why?
8. Do you think that Fay fooling Ian into having sex with a 70 year-old is part of the comic relief in Act 1, Scene 6? Why or why not?
9. What is the importance of the second song from The Beggar's Opera in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. Describe your first impression of Dafydd. What does his personality tell you about him? Does he strike you as a person capable of forming lasting relationships?
Essay Topic 1
The end of The Beggar's Opera has MacHeath being reprieved and all supposedly forgiven. Draw a parallel between the ending of The Beggar's Opera and the ending of A Chorus of Disapproval, illustrating the melding of the two endings into one resolution.
Essay Topic 2
How does talk of Guy's deceased wife lead to romantic overtures between Guy and Hannah? What does Hannah reveal about herself and her life that gives Guy that opening? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the Daddy doll.
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)