|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the protagonist in the play being performed in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What adjective(s) is used to describe Guy's personality?
3. How does Dafydd describe the owner of the bar?
4. What kind of names do Dafydd's daughters have?
5. Which scene is being performed by the actors in the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Fay seem to have a genuine emotional attachment to Guy, or do you think everything she does is for what she can get out of it?
2. Do you think Guy's ulterior motive in joining the company was to become involved with one of the women in the play? Why?
3. The BLM deal is again mentioned Act 1, Scene 6, almost as a sidebar. What purpose do you think it serves in this instance?
4. What is symbolic about Dafydd's mad dash to set up the lights even while his wife is breaking up with her boyfriend in plain sight?
5. Guy and Hannah share a kiss in an area where anyone from the cast could see them, and Dafydd has just left the room. What does their recklessness say about them?
6. Describe the significance of Fay and Ian's lifestyle.
7. Character development is very important in a play. Act 1, Scene 3 is all about character development. How does this bar scene give you the basic information you need to know about most of the characters?
8. In Act 1, Scene 4, we learn of Guy's wife's death and why he wanted to join The Beggar's Opera. What effect, good or bad, do you think his wife's death will have on his future relationships with women
9. What is the importance of the song from The Beggar's Opera in Act 1, Scene 3? What does it add to the scene?
10. Rebecca makes a request of Guy. What does her request involve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the subplots in A Chorus of Disapproval is the rumor about BLM's interest in Jarvis's land. What purpose does this subplot serve? How is it tied into the other story lines? What do you think the author's purpose is in including it in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Recalling the description of Dafydd and Hannah's home and knowing what you do of Dafydd's life and character, what does the home's description say about Dafydd's role in the home?
Essay Topic 3
Each character in A Chorus of Disapproval seems to have some idiosyncrasy which sets him/her apart from the others. Why do you think there are so many "characters" in this play? Would it be as interesting if most of the characters were simply run-of-the-mill people? Why or why not?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)