|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective(s) is used to describe Guy's personality?
2. What does Hannah say about Guy when Dafydd tells her what character he has chosen for Guy?
3. What does the director do after the curtain has fallen in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What kind of business does Guy's company perform?
5. What is Guy drinking at the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the first song sung from The Beggar's Opera in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is symbolic about Dafydd's mad dash to set up the lights even while his wife is breaking up with her boyfriend in plain sight?
3. Do you think that Fay fooling Ian into having sex with a 70 year-old is part of the comic relief in Act 1, Scene 6? Why or why not?
4. What is the significance of Ian dropping out of the play?
5. What are Hannah's chief complaints in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. What is the importance of the Welsh song to Dafydd? Do you think that attempting to sing that song endeared Guy to Dafydd or alienated him? Why?
7. What is satire? What does it add to a script? How is it used in the play The Beggar's Opera?
8. What do you think the importance of the music from The Beggar's Opera is to this play? Why?
9. In Act 1, Scene 4, we learn of Guy's wife's death and why he wanted to join The Beggar's Opera. What effect, good or bad, do you think his wife's death will have on his future relationships with women
10. Why do you think Guy approaches Jarvis with information about the BLM land deal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is Crispin's motivation for his relationship with Linda? Do you think he loves her, or do you think he loves the attention she brings to herself, thereby casting the proverbial spotlight on him? In the same light, what do you think is his motivation for his relationship with Bridget? Do you think either woman has an ulterior motive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Beggar's Opera was written in 1728 by John Gay. A Chorus of Disapproval was written in 1984 by Alan Ayckbourn. The political climates during these times were vastly different, not to mention the extremely divergent attitude toward sex and morality. Yet, Ayckbourn seems to find a way to seamlessly merge the two plays into a flowing, interesting commentary on politics and morality which might suit any era. How do you think Ayckbourn manages to accomplish this difficult creative feat?
Essay Topic 3
Dafydd's temper eventually drives several of his actors away, leaving an opening for Guy to move up. Do you think this is purposeful? Why would Dafydd want to see Guy advance in the company?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)