|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Fay's husband?
2. What is the first thing learned about the protagonist in the play being performed?
3. What does Hannah do while the men are discussing Guy's character?
4. With whom does Guy speak when looking for the director?
5. Where does Guy say his wife is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Fay seem to have a genuine emotional attachment to Guy, or do you think everything she does is for what she can get out of it?
2. Act 1, Scene 7 seems to be a bit more about Guy feeling a bit pleased with himself, maybe even a little bit cocky. Does he still retain the perceived innocence from earlier scenes?
3. What do you think the importance of the music from The Beggar's Opera is to this play? Why?
4. What impression does the reader get of Hannah? Does she seem happy? Why or why not?
5. The BLM deal is again mentioned Act 1, Scene 6, almost as a sidebar. What purpose do you think it serves in this instance?
6. Act 1, Scene 1 includes a fairly overt use of foreshadowing. What do you think might be foreshadowed by the events taking place in this scene?
7. What is the importance of the song from The Beggar's Opera in Act 1, Scene 3? What does it add to the scene?
8. Guy is barely mentioned in Act 1, Scene 3, but the reader is still able to glean additional information about his personality. What does this scene tell you about him?
9. Compare/contrast Dafydd and Guy. What do you think is the importance of this relationship to the play?
10. What are the perceived dynamics between Enid, Ted and Linda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unhappy relationships abound in both The Beggar's Opera and A Chorus of Disapproval. Compare/contrast several unhappy relationships from either play and identify the causal factor in each. Do you think these relationships could be fixed? Why or why not, and if so, how?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is Crispin's motivation for his relationship with Linda? Do you think he loves her, or do you think he loves the attention she brings to herself, thereby casting the proverbial spotlight on him? In the same light, what do you think is his motivation for his relationship with Bridget? Do you think either woman has an ulterior motive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism in the sound of a pump engine that Jarvis is listening to on a personal stereo.
This section contains 1,653 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)