|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah do while the men are discussing Guy's character?
2. Who is Fay's husband?
3. What was the fate of the play's main character as explained in the beginning of the book?
4. Dafydd says that everything in the Llewellyn house is ______________.
5. What is the mood between Hannah and Guy after they first meet and talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Dafydd's mad dash to set up the lights even while his wife is breaking up with her boyfriend in plain sight?
2. What does the short introduction of Crispin tell you about him?
3. What are the perceived dynamics between Enid, Ted and Linda?
4. What does the ending Act 1, Scene 6 tell you about how Guy is feeling about himself now?
5. What impression does the reader get of Hannah? Does she seem happy? Why or why not?
6. What is the importance of the song from The Beggar's Opera in Act 1, Scene 3? What does it add to the scene?
7. Do you think that Fay fooling Ian into having sex with a 70 year-old is part of the comic relief in Act 1, Scene 6? Why or why not?
8. The women of the cast have an obvious interest in Guy. How does this interest help to sharpen Guy's character for the reader?
9. What is satire? What does it add to a script? How is it used in the play The Beggar's Opera?
10. Act 1, Scene 7 seems to be a bit more about Guy feeling a bit pleased with himself, maybe even a little bit cocky. Does he still retain the perceived innocence from earlier scenes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Fay and Guy seems to be purely sexual. We see no obvious emotional attachment. What do you think is the entire basis for this relationship? Do you think Ian and Fay planned this complicated pas de trois? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Rebecca is clearly elbow deep in the rumors surrounding the BLM land deal. What do you think her motives are in starting these rumors?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism found in the many futile rehearsals and Dafydd's frustration?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)