|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the protagonist in the play being performed by the troupe?
2. What did Jarvis say he was forced to do when he didn't practice his craft?
3. What does Ian invite Guy to do on Friday night?
4. How is Bridget introduced in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What is the name of the protagonist in the play being performed in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Again, we see an example of Guy's innocence. Though Rebecca nearly outright confesses to starting the BLM rumor, Guy is still puzzled about who would have done so and why. How does Rebecca describe the possible events leading up to the rumor?
2. What are Hannah's chief complaints in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. Do you think that Fay fooling Ian into having sex with a 70 year-old is part of the comic relief in Act 1, Scene 6? Why or why not?
4. What does Jarvis's sawdust story tell you about him?
5. The women of the cast have an obvious interest in Guy. How does this interest help to sharpen Guy's character for the reader?
6. Guy and Hannah share a kiss in an area where anyone from the cast could see them, and Dafydd has just left the room. What does their recklessness say about them?
7. What is the relevance of the song from The Beggar's Opera at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
8. Guy's roles appear to be intricately tied into what a woman is encouraging Dafydd to do as far as the role goes. Cite some examples of this.
9. Do you think Guy's ulterior motive in joining the company was to become involved with one of the women in the play? Why?
10. Act 1, Scene 1 includes a fairly overt use of foreshadowing. What do you think might be foreshadowed by the events taking place in this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dafydd is obviously passionately dedicated to The Beggar's Opera. He seems to spend all of his free time focusing on perfecting the play. His day job as a lawyer is very time consuming and often takes him away from home. Keeping this in mind, what do you think his relationship is like with his wife and daughters? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Each character in A Chorus of Disapproval seems to have some idiosyncrasy which sets him/her apart from the others. Why do you think there are so many "characters" in this play? Would it be as interesting if most of the characters were simply run-of-the-mill people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Unhappy relationships abound in both The Beggar's Opera and A Chorus of Disapproval. Compare/contrast several unhappy relationships from either play and identify the causal factor in each. Do you think these relationships could be fixed? Why or why not, and if so, how?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)