|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the director do after the curtain has fallen in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What beverage does most of the cast drink?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, why is Dafydd frustrated?
4. What does the person who interrupts Guy's conversation with the woman at the bar say about Guy?
5. What adjective(s) is used to describe Guy's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare/contrast Dafydd and Guy. What do you think is the importance of this relationship to the play?
2. What does the short introduction of Crispin tell you about him?
3. Act 2, Scene 2 contains the climax of the Crispin/Linda/Bridget love triangle. Explain the events that take place.
4. Guy was married, but he still seems quite naive when it comes to sexual innuendos. Give an example of his naiveté as it relates Act 1, Scene 6.
5. What is the significance of the song Crispin sings in Act 2, Scene 2 while Linda and Bridget are fighting?
6. Guy's roles appear to be intricately tied into what a woman is encouraging Dafydd to do as far as the role goes. Cite some examples of this.
7. Guy is barely mentioned in Act 1, Scene 3, but the reader is still able to glean additional information about his personality. What does this scene tell you about him?
8. In Act 1, Scene 4, we learn of Guy's wife's death and why he wanted to join The Beggar's Opera. What effect, good or bad, do you think his wife's death will have on his future relationships with women
9. What impression does the reader get of Hannah? Does she seem happy? Why or why not?
10. Does Fay seem to have a genuine emotional attachment to Guy, or do you think everything she does is for what she can get out of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does talk of Guy's deceased wife lead to romantic overtures between Guy and Hannah? What does Hannah reveal about herself and her life that gives Guy that opening? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Dafydd's temper eventually drives several of his actors away, leaving an opening for Guy to move up. Do you think this is purposeful? Why would Dafydd want to see Guy advance in the company?
Essay Topic 3
The Beggar's Opera was written in 1728 by John Gay. A Chorus of Disapproval was written in 1984 by Alan Ayckbourn. The political climates during these times were vastly different, not to mention the extremely divergent attitude toward sex and morality. Yet, Ayckbourn seems to find a way to seamlessly merge the two plays into a flowing, interesting commentary on politics and morality which might suit any era. How do you think Ayckbourn manages to accomplish this difficult creative feat?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)