|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jarvis say he was forced to do when he didn't practice his craft?
2. What kind of business does Guy's company perform?
3. What does Dafydd suggest Guy should do be more like his initial character?
4. What does the ringing of the bell in the bar signify?
5. How is Dafydd's house described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the Welsh song to Dafydd? Do you think that attempting to sing that song endeared Guy to Dafydd or alienated him? Why?
2. What is satire? What does it add to a script? How is it used in the play The Beggar's Opera?
3. What does Act 1, Scene 4 tell you about Dafydd's character? Does him seem self absorbed and boorish or simply clueless? Why?
4. What is the importance, if any, of Guy being invited to join the rest of the cast at the bar?
5. Do you think Guy's ulterior motive in joining the company was to become involved with one of the women in the play? Why?
6. What is the symbolism of the missing underwear?
7. What is the importance of Guy's promotion from Crook Finger'd Jack to Matt the Mint?
8. What is the symbolism of the reprieve MacHeath (played by Guy) receives from the executioner (played by Dafydd)?
9. Why is Guy uncomfortable with accepting the money that Jarvis sent him?
10. What does the short introduction of Crispin tell you about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unhappy relationships abound in both The Beggar's Opera and A Chorus of Disapproval. Compare/contrast several unhappy relationships from either play and identify the causal factor in each. Do you think these relationships could be fixed? Why or why not, and if so, how?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Fay and Guy seems to be purely sexual. We see no obvious emotional attachment. What do you think is the entire basis for this relationship? Do you think Ian and Fay planned this complicated pas de trois? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of the scene between Fay, Ian, Guy, and Guy's elderly friend? Why interject the BLM situation? Do you think there is something more going on here than just a "bit of fun"? Why or why not? If so, what might that be?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)