|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Guy work?
2. What is an example of "Linda trouble" given in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What does Guy try to talk to Dafydd about after Dafydd's outburst at Ted?
4. Who is singing while sitting at the piano in the corner of the bar?
5. Who is playing the lead in The Beggar's Opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relevance of the song from The Beggar's Opera at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Newly entrenched in the lead role as MacHeath, Guy sings a song at the end of Act 2, Scene 2. What is the importance of the song?
3. The BLM deal is again mentioned Act 1, Scene 6, almost as a sidebar. What purpose do you think it serves in this instance?
4. Guy was married, but he still seems quite naive when it comes to sexual innuendos. Give an example of his naiveté as it relates Act 1, Scene 6.
5. What is Guy's reaction to the news that BLM is closing down?
6. What is the symbolism of the missing underwear?
7. Describe your first impression of Dafydd. What does his personality tell you about him? Does he strike you as a person capable of forming lasting relationships?
8. What is the symbolism of the reprieve MacHeath (played by Guy) receives from the executioner (played by Dafydd)?
9. What is symbolic about Dafydd's mad dash to set up the lights even while his wife is breaking up with her boyfriend in plain sight?
10. What is the importance of the Welsh song to Dafydd? Do you think that attempting to sing that song endeared Guy to Dafydd or alienated him? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the Daddy doll.
Essay Topic 2
Unhappy relationships abound in both The Beggar's Opera and A Chorus of Disapproval. Compare/contrast several unhappy relationships from either play and identify the causal factor in each. Do you think these relationships could be fixed? Why or why not, and if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of the scene between Fay, Ian, Guy, and Guy's elderly friend? Why interject the BLM situation? Do you think there is something more going on here than just a "bit of fun"? Why or why not? If so, what might that be?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)