|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bridget carrying when she first meets Guy?
2. From where did Guy come to look for the director?
3. What happens when Guy opens his mouth to begin his audition song?
4. Who gets into a physical confrontation in the bar?
5. What is the genre of the play being performed by the troupe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Guy and Hannah share a kiss in an area where anyone from the cast could see them, and Dafydd has just left the room. What does their recklessness say about them?
2. Guy was married, but he still seems quite naive when it comes to sexual innuendos. Give an example of his naiveté as it relates Act 1, Scene 6.
3. Do you think that Fay fooling Ian into having sex with a 70 year-old is part of the comic relief in Act 1, Scene 6? Why or why not?
4. What is your impression of the way Act 1, Scene 1 ends? What do you think it means for the rest of the play?
5. Again, we see an example of Guy's innocence. Though Rebecca nearly outright confesses to starting the BLM rumor, Guy is still puzzled about who would have done so and why. How does Rebecca describe the possible events leading up to the rumor?
6. Why is the Daddy doll used as a stand-in for Dafydd when he is gone? What does this tell you about Dafydd's relationship with his daughters?
7. Describe the significance of Fay and Ian's lifestyle.
8. Compare/contrast Dafydd and Guy. What do you think is the importance of this relationship to the play?
9. In Act 1, Scene 4, we learn of Guy's wife's death and why he wanted to join The Beggar's Opera. What effect, good or bad, do you think his wife's death will have on his future relationships with women
10. What is the importance of Guy's promotion from Crook Finger'd Jack to Matt the Mint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guy's steadily advancing roles in The Beggar's Opera seem to mimic his social advancement. As his relationships with the men and women of the company mature, his new characters become steadily more important to the story line of The Beggar's Opera. Describe how his personal relationships, especially with women, advance his importance to The Beggar's Opera.
Essay Topic 2
Recalling the description of Dafydd and Hannah's home and knowing what you do of Dafydd's life and character, what does the home's description say about Dafydd's role in the home?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism in the sound of a pump engine that Jarvis is listening to on a personal stereo.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)