|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of accent does Guy use to practice his only line as his initial character?
2. Who reads the opening speech during the first rehearsal of The Beggar's Opera?
3. How is Bridget introduced in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. In the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, for whom is Guy looking?
5. When Guy is left alone on the stage in Act 1, Scene 5, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, we are introduced to our first love triangle. Describe these relationships.
2. What is the significance of the song Crispin sings in Act 2, Scene 2 while Linda and Bridget are fighting?
3. What is Guy's reaction to the news that BLM is closing down?
4. Why is Guy uncomfortable with accepting the money that Jarvis sent him?
5. What is the relevance of the song from The Beggar's Opera at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
6. The comedic action is based on the concept of misunderstanding. Once Guy finally figures out what is the true nature of his invitation to Ian and Fay's home, what does his follow through on the situation say about his personality?
7. What impression does the reader get of Hannah? Does she seem happy? Why or why not?
8. What is the importance of tension to a play? What does it create, and what does it set up?
9. In Act 1, Scene 4, we learn of Guy's wife's death and why he wanted to join The Beggar's Opera. What effect, good or bad, do you think his wife's death will have on his future relationships with women
10. Ambition now seems to be one of Guy's driving forces after success with women and his acting. Cite examples of his ambition in his sexual conquests as well as his roles in the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Recalling the description of Dafydd and Hannah's home and knowing what you do of Dafydd's life and character, what does the home's description say about Dafydd's role in the home?
Essay Topic 2
Unhappy relationships abound in both The Beggar's Opera and A Chorus of Disapproval. Compare/contrast several unhappy relationships from either play and identify the causal factor in each. Do you think these relationships could be fixed? Why or why not, and if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Rebecca is clearly elbow deep in the rumors surrounding the BLM land deal. What do you think her motives are in starting these rumors?
This section contains 1,674 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)