|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Fay's husband?
2. After Guy's audition, the cast members agree that Guy should play what character?
3. Who interrupts the conversation between Guy and the woman flirting with him?
4. What is said of Jarvis's age?
5. When Ian invites Guy to join him and Fay, what does he tell Guy to bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 4, we learn of Guy's wife's death and why he wanted to join The Beggar's Opera. What effect, good or bad, do you think his wife's death will have on his future relationships with women
2. The BLM deal is again mentioned Act 1, Scene 6, almost as a sidebar. What purpose do you think it serves in this instance?
3. What are Hannah's chief complaints in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What is the significance of Ian dropping out of the play?
5. Why is the Daddy doll used as a stand-in for Dafydd when he is gone? What does this tell you about Dafydd's relationship with his daughters?
6. Rebecca makes a request of Guy. What does her request involve?
7. What does Jarvis's sawdust story tell you about him?
8. What do you think is the importance of Guy being mentioned by name in Dafydd Llewellyn's speech when all of the other actors are simply lumped together?
9. Character development is very important in a play. Act 1, Scene 3 is all about character development. How does this bar scene give you the basic information you need to know about most of the characters?
10. What is Guy's reaction to the news that BLM is closing down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dafydd is obviously passionately dedicated to The Beggar's Opera. He seems to spend all of his free time focusing on perfecting the play. His day job as a lawyer is very time consuming and often takes him away from home. Keeping this in mind, what do you think his relationship is like with his wife and daughters? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Unhappy relationships abound in both The Beggar's Opera and A Chorus of Disapproval. Compare/contrast several unhappy relationships from either play and identify the causal factor in each. Do you think these relationships could be fixed? Why or why not, and if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Fay and Guy seems to be purely sexual. We see no obvious emotional attachment. What do you think is the entire basis for this relationship? Do you think Ian and Fay planned this complicated pas de trois? If so, why?
This section contains 1,705 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)