|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character does Dafydd choose for Guy to play while they are at Dafydd's house?
2. From where did Guy come to look for the director?
3. Why is Guy surprised after he finishes his audition?
4. What happens to the protagonist in the play taking place in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What is the name of the play being performed by the characters of A Chorus of Disapproval?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the reprieve MacHeath (played by Guy) receives from the executioner (played by Dafydd)?
2. The BLM deal is again mentioned Act 1, Scene 6, almost as a sidebar. What purpose do you think it serves in this instance?
3. What does Ian's confession to Dafydd about Hannah and Guy tell you about Ian's motivations?
4. In Act 1, Scene 4, we learn of Guy's wife's death and why he wanted to join The Beggar's Opera. What effect, good or bad, do you think his wife's death will have on his future relationships with women
5. What is the importance of the discussion of the overwhelming Welsh influence on the Llewellyn family? What does this mean to Hannah?
6. What is the significance of the song Crispin sings in Act 2, Scene 2 while Linda and Bridget are fighting?
7. What is Guy's reaction to the news that BLM is closing down?
8. What does the ending Act 1, Scene 6 tell you about how Guy is feeling about himself now?
9. The comedic action is based on the concept of misunderstanding. Once Guy finally figures out what is the true nature of his invitation to Ian and Fay's home, what does his follow through on the situation say about his personality?
10. Again, we see an example of Guy's innocence. Though Rebecca nearly outright confesses to starting the BLM rumor, Guy is still puzzled about who would have done so and why. How does Rebecca describe the possible events leading up to the rumor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unhappy relationships abound in both The Beggar's Opera and A Chorus of Disapproval. Compare/contrast several unhappy relationships from either play and identify the causal factor in each. Do you think these relationships could be fixed? Why or why not, and if so, how?
Essay Topic 2
The bar seems to be a common social outlet for those involved in The Beggar's Opera. Do you think these people are serious about their roles in the play, or do you think it is more of a way to socialize? Remember, Guy joined to get back into life after the death of his wife, so we already know his motives. Do you think the others joined for similar reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The love triangle between Hannah, Fay, and Guy reaches a confrontation climax in Act 2, Scene 1. Hannah is desperate for undivided attention and does not like Fay's interference in her relationship with Guy. Fay has ulterior motives and is using sex as a manipulation tool. Guy is simply lonely and enjoying the attention of two women. Compare/contrast the Guy/Fay relationship to the Guy/Hannah relationship. While neither relationship is healthy, which one do you think is more fulfilling to Guy and why?
This section contains 1,702 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)