|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of names do Dafydd's daughters have?
2. What does Hannah say about Guy when Dafydd tells her what character he has chosen for Guy?
3. What adjective(s) is used to describe Guy's personality?
4. Why does Hannah run out of the room when Dafydd brings Guy to his home?
5. With whom does Guy speak when looking for the director?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Guy's reaction to the news that BLM is closing down?
2. Why is the Daddy doll used as a stand-in for Dafydd when he is gone? What does this tell you about Dafydd's relationship with his daughters?
3. Act 2, Scene 2 contains the climax of the Crispin/Linda/Bridget love triangle. Explain the events that take place.
4. What is the importance of tension to a play? What does it create, and what does it set up?
5. Again, a song from The Beggar's Opera is used to add to the scene. What is the importance of this song to Act 1, Scene 5?
6. The BLM deal is again mentioned Act 1, Scene 6, almost as a sidebar. What purpose do you think it serves in this instance?
7. What is the significance of the song Crispin sings in Act 2, Scene 2 while Linda and Bridget are fighting?
8. Why do you think Ian invites Guy to a night out with him and Fay? Do you think he's simply being friendly, or do you think he might have ulterior motives? Why?
9. Does Fay seem to have a genuine emotional attachment to Guy, or do you think everything she does is for what she can get out of it?
10. Ambition now seems to be one of Guy's driving forces after success with women and his acting. Cite examples of his ambition in his sexual conquests as well as his roles in the play.
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is Crispin's motivation for his relationship with Linda? Do you think he loves her, or do you think he loves the attention she brings to herself, thereby casting the proverbial spotlight on him? In the same light, what do you think is his motivation for his relationship with Bridget? Do you think either woman has an ulterior motive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dafydd's temper eventually drives several of his actors away, leaving an opening for Guy to move up. Do you think this is purposeful? Why would Dafydd want to see Guy advance in the company?
Essay Topic 3
Guy's steadily advancing roles in The Beggar's Opera seem to mimic his social advancement. As his relationships with the men and women of the company mature, his new characters become steadily more important to the story line of The Beggar's Opera. Describe how his personal relationships, especially with women, advance his importance to The Beggar's Opera.
This section contains 1,773 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)