|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ian says that Dafydd directed a "really awful production" of what musical?
2. Who reads the opening speech during the first rehearsal of The Beggar's Opera?
3. Which scene is being performed by the actors in the beginning of the play?
4. What does Hannah ask Guy to do while he is on stage practicing his craft?
5. Who is playing the lead in The Beggar's Opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the first song sung from The Beggar's Opera in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Describe your first impression of Dafydd. What does his personality tell you about him? Does he strike you as a person capable of forming lasting relationships?
3. Again, a song from The Beggar's Opera is used to add to the scene. What is the importance of this song to Act 1, Scene 5?
4. Character development is very important in a play. Act 1, Scene 3 is all about character development. How does this bar scene give you the basic information you need to know about most of the characters?
5. What is the symbolism of the missing underwear?
6. What does the ending Act 1, Scene 6 tell you about how Guy is feeling about himself now?
7. What are Hannah's chief complaints in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. In Act 1, Scene 3, we are introduced to our first love triangle. Describe these relationships.
9. What is the importance of the discussion of the overwhelming Welsh influence on the Llewellyn family? What does this mean to Hannah?
10. Why do you think Guy approaches Jarvis with information about the BLM land deal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the subplots in A Chorus of Disapproval is the rumor about BLM's interest in Jarvis's land. What purpose does this subplot serve? How is it tied into the other story lines? What do you think the author's purpose is in including it in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Recalling the description of Dafydd and Hannah's home and knowing what you do of Dafydd's life and character, what does the home's description say about Dafydd's role in the home?
Essay Topic 3
Dafydd is obviously passionately dedicated to The Beggar's Opera. He seems to spend all of his free time focusing on perfecting the play. His day job as a lawyer is very time consuming and often takes him away from home. Keeping this in mind, what do you think his relationship is like with his wife and daughters? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)