Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Linda's parents?
2. What is Rebecca's complaint after Dafydd's outburst at Ted?
3. What is the mood between Hannah and Guy after they first meet and talk?
4. Dafydd says that everything in the Llewellyn house is ______________.
5. Why does Hannah run out of the room when Dafydd brings Guy to his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the significance of Fay and Ian's lifestyle.
2. What are the perceived dynamics between Enid, Ted and Linda?
3. What is the importance of the Welsh song to Dafydd? Do you think that attempting to sing that song endeared Guy to Dafydd or alienated him? Why?
4. Guy was married, but he still seems quite naive when it comes to sexual innuendos. Give an example of his naiveté as it relates Act 1, Scene 6.
5. The comedic action is based on the concept of misunderstanding. Once Guy finally figures out what is the true nature of his invitation to Ian and Fay's home, what does his follow through on the situation say about his personality?
6. What does Act 1, Scene 4 tell you about Dafydd's character? Does him seem self absorbed and boorish or simply clueless? Why?
7. The women of the cast have an obvious interest in Guy. How does this interest help to sharpen Guy's character for the reader?
8. Compare/contrast Dafydd and Guy. What do you think is the importance of this relationship to the play?
9. Does Fay seem to have a genuine emotional attachment to Guy, or do you think everything she does is for what she can get out of it?
10. What is satire? What does it add to a script? How is it used in the play The Beggar's Opera?
Essay Topic 1
How does talk of Guy's deceased wife lead to romantic overtures between Guy and Hannah? What does Hannah reveal about herself and her life that gives Guy that opening? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the scene between Fay, Ian, Guy, and Guy's elderly friend? Why interject the BLM situation? Do you think there is something more going on here than just a "bit of fun"? Why or why not? If so, what might that be?
Essay Topic 3
Recalling the description of Dafydd and Hannah's home and knowing what you do of Dafydd's life and character, what does the home's description say about Dafydd's role in the home?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)