|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, for whom is Guy looking?
2. Why does Ted have to leave rehearsal?
3. How does Dafydd describe the owner of the bar?
4. What is Rebecca's complaint after Dafydd's outburst at Ted?
5. What happens when Guy finishes singing his audition piece?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the short introduction of Crispin tell you about him?
2. Why is the Daddy doll used as a stand-in for Dafydd when he is gone? What does this tell you about Dafydd's relationship with his daughters?
3. Act 1, Scene 1 includes a fairly overt use of foreshadowing. What do you think might be foreshadowed by the events taking place in this scene?
4. What is Guy's reaction to the news that BLM is closing down?
5. Describe your first impression of Dafydd. What does his personality tell you about him? Does he strike you as a person capable of forming lasting relationships?
6. What is satire? What does it add to a script? How is it used in the play The Beggar's Opera?
7. The BLM deal is again mentioned Act 1, Scene 6, almost as a sidebar. What purpose do you think it serves in this instance?
8. Guy was married, but he still seems quite naive when it comes to sexual innuendos. Give an example of his naiveté as it relates Act 1, Scene 6.
9. What do you think the importance of the music from The Beggar's Opera is to this play? Why?
10. What is the importance of the discussion of the overwhelming Welsh influence on the Llewellyn family? What does this mean to Hannah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bar seems to be a common social outlet for those involved in The Beggar's Opera. Do you think these people are serious about their roles in the play, or do you think it is more of a way to socialize? Remember, Guy joined to get back into life after the death of his wife, so we already know his motives. Do you think the others joined for similar reasons? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dafydd is obviously passionately dedicated to The Beggar's Opera. He seems to spend all of his free time focusing on perfecting the play. His day job as a lawyer is very time consuming and often takes him away from home. Keeping this in mind, what do you think his relationship is like with his wife and daughters? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Dafydd's temper eventually drives several of his actors away, leaving an opening for Guy to move up. Do you think this is purposeful? Why would Dafydd want to see Guy advance in the company?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)