|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the actress who plays the protagonist's wife?
2. Dafydd says that everything in the Llewellyn house is ______________.
3. What was the fate of the play's main character as explained in the beginning of the book?
(a) He was condemned to death and later reprieved.
(b) She was abused as a child and became an abuser herself.
(c) He was raised as a pirate's first mate.
(d) She was sent to an orphanage but worked her way up.
4. What happens to the protagonist in the play taking place in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He is betrayed for money and sent to prison.
(b) He has saved many people in his short, sad life.
(c) He is condemned to walk the plank.
(d) He has risen above his station in life and married a rich woman.
5. Who is Fay's husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Guy is left alone on the stage in Act 1, Scene 5, what does he do?
2. How does Hannah congratulate Guy on his promotion to a new character?
3. Who is Hannah?
4. What is the name of the play being performed by the characters of A Chorus of Disapproval?
5. Which scene is being performed by the actors in the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Guy uncomfortable with accepting the money that Jarvis sent him?
2. What is the importance of the discussion of the overwhelming Welsh influence on the Llewellyn family? What does this mean to Hannah?
3. What is satire? What does it add to a script? How is it used in the play The Beggar's Opera?
4. What does Act 1, Scene 4 tell you about Dafydd's character? Does him seem self absorbed and boorish or simply clueless? Why?
5. What is the symbolism of the reprieve MacHeath (played by Guy) receives from the executioner (played by Dafydd)?
6. What do you think the importance of the music from The Beggar's Opera is to this play? Why?
7. What does the ending Act 1, Scene 6 tell you about how Guy is feeling about himself now?
8. Again, we see an example of Guy's innocence. Though Rebecca nearly outright confesses to starting the BLM rumor, Guy is still puzzled about who would have done so and why. How does Rebecca describe the possible events leading up to the rumor?
9. What is the relevance of the song from The Beggar's Opera at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
10. Describe the significance of Fay and Ian's lifestyle.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)