|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the protagonist in the play taking place in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He has risen above his station in life and married a rich woman.
(b) He is condemned to walk the plank.
(c) He is betrayed for money and sent to prison.
(d) He has saved many people in his short, sad life.
2. What is the name of the troupe performing the play?
(a) Pendon Amateur Light Opera Society.
(b) Petalon Arabian Light Opera Society.
(c) Pennsylvania Amateur Light Opera Society.
(d) Petaluma Amateur Light Opera Society.
3. What beverage does most of the cast drink?
(b) Gin and tonic.
4. Who reads the opening speech during the first rehearsal of The Beggar's Opera?
(c) Mr. Ames.
5. What is Dafydd's reaction to his own performance during Guy's audition?
(a) He insists that Guy leave the stage.
(b) He spits at Guy.
(c) He brings himself to tears.
(d) He is overcome with anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Guy come to look for the director?
2. Who is Hannah?
3. How does Hannah congratulate Guy on his promotion to a new character?
4. When was the play being performed written?
5. In the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, for whom is Guy looking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Fay fooling Ian into having sex with a 70 year-old is part of the comic relief in Act 1, Scene 6? Why or why not?
2. What is the significance of Ian dropping out of the play?
3. What is the symbolism of the reprieve MacHeath (played by Guy) receives from the executioner (played by Dafydd)?
4. Describe your first impression of Dafydd. What does his personality tell you about him? Does he strike you as a person capable of forming lasting relationships?
5. What is the importance of the first song sung from The Beggar's Opera in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. Guy and Hannah share a kiss in an area where anyone from the cast could see them, and Dafydd has just left the room. What does their recklessness say about them?
7. What do you think the importance of the music from The Beggar's Opera is to this play? Why?
8. What is the importance of the Welsh song to Dafydd? Do you think that attempting to sing that song endeared Guy to Dafydd or alienated him? Why?
9. Ambition now seems to be one of Guy's driving forces after success with women and his acting. Cite examples of his ambition in his sexual conquests as well as his roles in the play.
10. Character development is very important in a play. Act 1, Scene 3 is all about character development. How does this bar scene give you the basic information you need to know about most of the characters?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)