|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hannah congratulate Guy on his promotion to a new character?
(a) With a passionate kiss.
(b) With a hearty handshake.
(c) With an individual standing ovation.
(d) With a bear hug.
2. What is the name of the protagonist's wife in the play being performed in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What happens when Guy finishes singing his audition piece?
(a) The room falls quiet.
(b) Everyone applauds.
(c) He begins laughing uncontrollably.
(d) The director begins shouting at him.
4. What is the first thing learned about the protagonist in the play being performed?
(a) He is a pirate.
(b) He is married to one woman and engaged to another.
(c) He comes from a broken home.
(d) He is the play's hero.
5. What is an example of "Linda trouble" given in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) She set Enid's clothing on fire.
(b) She painted graffiti on her parents' house.
(c) She drove the car into a ditch.
(d) She broke all of the windows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guy do while waiting for the director to arrive?
2. What is the name of the character that plays the protagonist in the play being performed in the beginning of the story?
3. What does Hannah bring to Guy while he is practicing his craft?
4. What is Dafydd's reaction to his own performance during Guy's audition?
5. What is said of Jarvis's age?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hannah's chief complaints in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Do you think that Fay fooling Ian into having sex with a 70 year-old is part of the comic relief in Act 1, Scene 6? Why or why not?
3. What is the importance of tension to a play? What does it create, and what does it set up?
4. Act 1, Scene 7 seems to be a bit more about Guy feeling a bit pleased with himself, maybe even a little bit cocky. Does he still retain the perceived innocence from earlier scenes?
5. What is the significance of the song Crispin sings in Act 2, Scene 2 while Linda and Bridget are fighting?
6. The women of the cast have an obvious interest in Guy. How does this interest help to sharpen Guy's character for the reader?
7. What is the importance of the song from The Beggar's Opera in Act 1, Scene 3? What does it add to the scene?
8. Why is the Daddy doll used as a stand-in for Dafydd when he is gone? What does this tell you about Dafydd's relationship with his daughters?
9. What is the importance, if any, of Guy being invited to join the rest of the cast at the bar?
10. What is the symbolism of the missing underwear?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)