|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who reads the opening speech during the first rehearsal of The Beggar's Opera?
(c) Mr. Ames.
2. What character does Dafydd choose for Guy to play while they are at Dafydd's house?
(a) Matt the Mint.
(b) Crook Finger'd Jack.
3. What does Hannah say is the only thing in her house that doesn't fit into the family "theme"?
(a) The family dog.
(b) The car.
(d) The family Bible.
4. What does the ringing of the bell in the bar signify?
(a) Dinner time.
(b) Someone has entered the bar.
(c) A phone call is waiting.
(d) Last call.
5. Who is Linda's boyfriend?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bridget introduced in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What was the fate of the play's main character as explained in the beginning of the book?
3. Why is Guy surprised after he finishes his audition?
4. What is the name of the protagonist's wife in the play being performed in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Why does Hannah say she can't go to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance, if any, of Guy being invited to join the rest of the cast at the bar?
2. What does Ian's confession to Dafydd about Hannah and Guy tell you about Ian's motivations?
3. What do you think the importance of the music from The Beggar's Opera is to this play? Why?
4. What is symbolic about the women of the cast turning to face Guy instead of doing as Dafydd instructs and turning to face Crispin?
5. Do you think Guy's ulterior motive in joining the company was to become involved with one of the women in the play? Why?
6. Guy and Hannah share a kiss in an area where anyone from the cast could see them, and Dafydd has just left the room. What does their recklessness say about them?
7. What does the ending Act 1, Scene 6 tell you about how Guy is feeling about himself now?
8. What is the significance of the song Crispin sings in Act 2, Scene 2 while Linda and Bridget are fighting?
9. What does the description of Dafydd's home tell you about his family?
10. Guy was married, but he still seems quite naive when it comes to sexual innuendos. Give an example of his naiveté as it relates Act 1, Scene 6.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)