|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ida reveal to Victor when she finally talks about his past?
2. What do Victor, Paige, Denny, and Beth do to end the book?
3. What is revealed about Ida Mancini in Chapter 44?
4. What does Denny suggest Victor do to get him to leave the building site?
5. Who do Victor and Denny talk about in Chapter 38?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the message Victor receives from Dr. Marshall.
2. How does Ida Mancini die?
3. Why are Victor and Denny walking around the neighborhood in Chapter 26?
4. What happens when the police officer pounds Victor on the back?
5. What do we learn about Victor's relationship with his mother during the final flashback chapter?
6. What does Victor ponder about Jesus with Denny?
7. What does Ursula say about Denny while she and Victor are fooling around in the shed?
8. How does Victor and Denny's first encounter go at the site where Denny is building a wall of stones?
9. How does Paige respond when Victor asks her if she is believing all this stuff about him being the second coming of Christ?
10. What happens when Victor tells Ida he knows about being Jesus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important part of Choke.
a. What is Victor's choking symbolic of? How has it brought Victor and Ida closer together both when victor was young and as an adult?
b. What is Victor having anal beads stuck in his rectum symbolic of? What is symbolized when they come out?
c. What is the dental floss Paige uses on Victor symbolic of?
d. How is Victor's life at work symbolic of his real life?
Essay Topic 2
Insanity is a common theme in Choke. In what ways are the following people insane? Use specific examples from the book for each.
Essay Topic 3
Palahniuk's books are known for his plot twists.
a. What does Victor learn about Paige Marshall? What does this revelation do to the plot of Choke?
b. What does he learn about his true origins? How does this information move the plot of Choke?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)