|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Marshall say she went to medical school?
2. Who does Victor have sex with in a janitor's closet?
3. What does the girl at the front desk do to Victor the third time he sees her?
4. What does Beth do while they watch the news broadcast of Victor?
5. What is the girl whose house Victor waits in named?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Paige Marshall claim to be after Victor sees her patient bracelet?
2. What does Victor do to Paige before leaving the hospital?
3. Describe how Victor makes an ear candle, and how he says it works.
4. What does Ursula say about Denny while she and Victor are fooling around in the shed?
5. Why is Victor on television?
6. How does Victor and Denny's first encounter go at the site where Denny is building a wall of stones?
7. What did Ida Mancini do as a sex therapist?
8. Describe the message Victor receives from Dr. Marshall.
9. What happens when Paige attempts to help save Ida?
10. Why are Victor and Denny walking around the neighborhood in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Victor and Denny get into an argument about what Denny is building.
a. What is Victor's side of the argument?
b. What is Denny's side of the argument?
c. How does each character's side of the argument relate to the theme of freedom?
Essay Topic 2
People with addictions are often experts of denial. Victor is no exception.
a. Explain how Victor's explanation of step 4 of his 12 step program could be seen as denial.
b. Explain how denial consumes Victor after Paige tells him his mother thinks he is the second coming of Christ.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important part of Choke.
a. What is Victor's choking symbolic of? How has it brought Victor and Ida closer together both when victor was young and as an adult?
b. What is Victor having anal beads stuck in his rectum symbolic of? What is symbolized when they come out?
c. What is the dental floss Paige uses on Victor symbolic of?
d. How is Victor's life at work symbolic of his real life?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)