|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tsunimitsu claim?
2. Who does Paige Marshall say has told her about Victor's sexual encounters?
3. According to Paige Marshall, where did Ida Mancini get pregnant?
4. Why does the narrator say he goes to the meetings at the church?
5. According to Paige Marshall, what was stolen from under the priest's bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Victor's "Hero Book."
2. What causes Victors mother to say to Victor, "Oh, blessed Father. Holy Father. Oh, please forgive me?"
3. Describe the conversation Victor and Paige have the first time they see each other after Victor runs out on Paige at the chapel.
4. Why does Denny have a rock when he arrives at Victor's house?
5. Explain some of the codes that Ida tells Victor are the important lessons in life.
6. Explain the connection Victor makes in Chapter 15 when he and his mother are in the stalled car and the pornography he saw as a child.
7. Why does Paige Marshall assume Victor is not attracted to her?
8. Why would the narrator of the book start by saying not to read the book? What does this suggest about the narrator?
9. What aspects does Victor take into consideration when selecting a restaurant?
10. What is Victor's opinion of his mother's well-being?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important part of Choke.
a. What is Victor's choking symbolic of? How has it brought Victor and Ida closer together both when victor was young and as an adult?
b. What is Victor having anal beads stuck in his rectum symbolic of? What is symbolized when they come out?
c. What is the dental floss Paige uses on Victor symbolic of?
d. How is Victor's life at work symbolic of his real life?
Essay Topic 2
Victor wants to know who his father is, so Paige Marshall reads his mother's diary.
a. What does Paige tell Victor the Diary says about him?
b. In what ways does Victor reject this news?
c. In what ways does Victor embrace this news?
Essay Topic 3
Chuck Palahniuk is known for his minimalist writing. Discuss each of the following devises in the context of how it contributed to literary minimalism.
a. Palahniuk's use of "See also: . . . " For example, "See also: Hypothermia. See also: Typhoid Fever."
b. Palahniuk also uses the phrase " . . . is not the right word, but it's the first word to come to mind" frequently in Choke.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)