|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
2. Which board game do the children play while traveling?
3. With which book are the children most fascinated?
4. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
5. When do Niang's plans for Big Sister come to light?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
2. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
3. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
4. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
5. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
6. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
7. How does Father react to the situation?
8. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
9. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
10. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)