|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
2. What happens to the nicest gifts from Big Sister's wedding?
3. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
4. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
5. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
Essay Topic 1
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Adeline believes her siblings never forgive her for the death of their mother. Cite specific examples that demonstrate her siblings' dislike of her and instances where they break from their typical treatment of her.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)