|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adeline feel after winning the class presidency?
2. What does Aunt Reine surprise the family with when she arrives?
3. Why does a classmate mysteriously assign her egg to Adeline?
4. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
5. To whom will Big Sister be married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
2. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
3. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
4. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
5. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
6. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
7. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
8. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
9. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
10. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)