|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
2. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
3. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
4. With which book are the children most fascinated?
5. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How important is it that Niang is Eurasian and not fully Chinese in the novel? Explain instances that highlight Niang's mixed heritage and the importance of it in various situations.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
Essay Topic 3
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)