|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these people is not on the journey to Hong Kong?
2. Where is Adeline dropped off by Niang and Fourth Brother?
3. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
4. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
5. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
2. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
3. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
4. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
5. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
6. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
7. How does Father react to the situation?
8. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
9. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
10. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the Chinese New Year for the Chinese people. In Chapter 9, Adeline discusses the Chinese New Year. How are the gifts received by Adeline and her sibling symbolize and exemplify their status in the family? Explain what they receive and why these gifts are symbolic, especially when compared to the gifts given to Fourth Brother and Little Sister.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 3
Do you consider Adeline to be courageous? Why or why not? Write an essay on how you define courage and whether or not Adeline fits these requirements.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)