|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Big Sister's future husband than she?
2. Of the 1200 students at Sacred Heart, how many are boarders?
3. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
4. Who nearly plays a trick on Ye Ye?
5. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
2. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
3. How does Father react to the situation?
4. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
5. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
6. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
7. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
8. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
9. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
10. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Niang treats her own children vastly different from Adeline and her siblings. Choose two siblings in addition to Adeline and describe how Niang treats them in specific situations. Compare and contrast her treatment of these characters to Little Brother and Little Sister. What, according to your personal thoughts, are her motivations for treating these children differently?
Essay Topic 2
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)