|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom will Big Sister be married?
2. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
3. What does Aunt Reine surprise the family with when she arrives?
4. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
5. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
2. How does Father react to the situation?
3. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
4. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
5. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
6. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
7. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
8. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
9. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
10. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
Essay Topic 3
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)