|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
2. Why does Adeline have to leave?
3. In addition to being president, what else will the winner be?
4. Why is the next school day very special?
5. What animal is Wu Chen-mei about to receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
2. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
3. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
4. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
5. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
6. How does Father react to the situation?
7. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
8. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
9. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
10. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 2
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
There is great political upheaval during Adeline's childhood. Name two instances where Adeline's life is affected by the political environment and how she responds to these instances.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)