|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
2. Why does Adeline have to leave?
3. Where is Adeline dropped off?
4. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
5. Which board game do the children play while traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
2. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
3. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
6. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
7. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
8. How does Father react to the situation?
9. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
10. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
Essay Topic 2
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
Essay Topic 3
Do you consider Adeline to be courageous? Why or why not? Write an essay on how you define courage and whether or not Adeline fits these requirements.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)