|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person to greet Adeline?
2. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
3. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
4. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
5. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
2. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
3. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
4. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
5. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
6. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
7. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
8. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
9. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
10. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
Essay Topic 2
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Do you consider Adeline to be courageous? Why or why not? Write an essay on how you define courage and whether or not Adeline fits these requirements.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)