|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Big Sister's future husband than she?
2. What do the siblings nickname the room where Little Sister and Fourth Brother live?
3. Where is Adeline dropped off?
4. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
5. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
2. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
3. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
4. How does Father react to the situation?
5. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
6. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
7. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
8. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
9. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
10. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you consider Adeline to be courageous? Why or why not? Write an essay on how you define courage and whether or not Adeline fits these requirements.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)