|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
2. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
3. When do Niang's plans for Big Sister come to light?
4. Which one of these things is NOT handed out to the class by Adeline's rival, Chen Lei-lei?
5. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
2. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
3. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
4. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
5. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
6. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
7. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
8. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
9. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
10. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline believes her siblings never forgive her for the death of their mother. Cite specific examples that demonstrate her siblings' dislike of her and instances where they break from their typical treatment of her.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)