|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
2. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
3. What does Adeline do during a reading of King Lear in class?
4. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
5. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
2. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
3. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
4. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
5. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
6. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
7. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
8. How does Father react to the situation?
9. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
10. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)