|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
2. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
3. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
4. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
5. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
2. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
3. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
4. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
5. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
6. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
7. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
8. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
9. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
10. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Niang treats her own children vastly different from Adeline and her siblings. Choose two siblings in addition to Adeline and describe how Niang treats them in specific situations. Compare and contrast her treatment of these characters to Little Brother and Little Sister. What, according to your personal thoughts, are her motivations for treating these children differently?
Essay Topic 3
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)