|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Big Sister's future husband than she?
2. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
3. Why is the next school day very special?
4. Why does Adeline have to leave?
5. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
2. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
3. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
4. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
5. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
6. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
7. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
8. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
9. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
10. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 3
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)