|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which book are the children most fascinated?
2. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
3. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
4. Where is Adeline dropped off by Niang and Fourth Brother?
5. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
2. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
3. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
4. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
5. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
6. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
7. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
8. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
9. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
10. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 3
There is great political upheaval during Adeline's childhood. Name two instances where Adeline's life is affected by the political environment and how she responds to these instances.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)