|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the nicest gifts from Big Sister's wedding?
2. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
3. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
4. What does Big Sister do to keep her gift from Grand Aunt?
5. How does Adeline sneak over to Wu Chun-mei's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
2. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
3. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
4. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
5. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
6. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
7. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
8. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
9. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
10. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)