|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
2. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
3. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
4. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
5. What is the name of the ship they are sailing on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
2. How does Father react to the situation?
3. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
4. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
5. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
6. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
7. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
8. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
9. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
10. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 2
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)