|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is their election unusual?
2. To whom will Big Sister be married?
3. What does Ye Ye want from Adeline?
4. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
5. Who meets them at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
2. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
3. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
4. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
5. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
6. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
7. How does Father react to the situation?
8. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
9. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
10. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)