|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
2. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
3. Why is the next school day very special?
4. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
5. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Father react to the situation?
2. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
3. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
6. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
7. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
8. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
9. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
10. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)