|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
2. What book is Adeline reading when she is surprised by her classmate and her mother in the library?
3. Where does Ye Ye go every morning at eight o'clock?
4. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
5. What happens to the nicest gifts from Big Sister's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
2. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
3. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
4. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
5. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
6. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
7. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
8. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
9. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
10. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the Chinese New Year for the Chinese people. In Chapter 9, Adeline discusses the Chinese New Year. How are the gifts received by Adeline and her sibling symbolize and exemplify their status in the family? Explain what they receive and why these gifts are symbolic, especially when compared to the gifts given to Fourth Brother and Little Sister.
Essay Topic 3
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)