|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
2. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
3. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
4. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
5. What does Ye Ye want from Adeline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
2. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
3. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
4. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
5. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
6. How does Father react to the situation?
7. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
8. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
9. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
10. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There is great political upheaval during Adeline's childhood. Name two instances where Adeline's life is affected by the political environment and how she responds to these instances.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)