|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
2. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
3. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
4. What fills Adeline with dread?
5. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
2. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
3. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
4. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
5. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
6. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
7. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
8. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
9. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
10. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is great political upheaval during Adeline's childhood. Name two instances where Adeline's life is affected by the political environment and how she responds to these instances.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)