|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person to greet Adeline?
2. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
3. Where is Adeline dropped off?
4. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
5. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
2. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
3. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
4. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
5. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
6. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
7. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
8. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
9. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
10. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the title of the book closely matches with Adeline's own life. In what ways are the two stories the same? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There is great political upheaval during Adeline's childhood. Name two instances where Adeline's life is affected by the political environment and how she responds to these instances.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)