|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline's father give her after she gets lost?
2. What do the children refer to the floor where Father, Niang, Fourth Brother and Little Sister live?
3. Who is the only person who cannot give in to beg for tram fare from Niang?
4. Who greets Adeline and her siblings during their surprise outing?
5. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
2. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
3. How do Second Brother and Big Sister react to Adeline's medal at the dinner table?
4. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
5. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
6. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
7. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
8. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
9. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
10. Where is Adeline's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)