|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
2. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive her for?
3. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
4. Why did mothers bind their little girls' feet?
5. What do the Huangs bring the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
2. What happens to Adeline shortly after her friends leave for holiday break and how does she recover?
3. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
6. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
7. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
8. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
9. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
10. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you consider Adeline to be courageous? Why or why not? Write an essay on how you define courage and whether or not Adeline fits these requirements.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)