|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is next to Adeline's school?
2. What do the children receive for the Chinese New Year?
3. What injury does Big Sister have?
4. What is the name of Adeline's new school in Shanghai?
5. Which family member does Adeline share a room with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
2. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
3. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
4. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
5. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
6. Describe PLT's death.
7. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
8. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
9. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
10. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the safe deposit box that Aunt Baba keeps? What does it symbolize for both her and Adeline? Describe the box, including its contents and explain its role in Adeline's life.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)