|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Grandmother Nai Nai when her feet were bound?
2. Who does Little Sister prefer when she arrives in Shanghai?
3. Years earlier, which war had China lost?
4. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
5. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
2. Where is Adeline's mother?
3. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
4. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
5. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
6. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
7. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
8. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
9. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
10. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the title of the book closely matches with Adeline's own life. In what ways are the two stories the same? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)