|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Niang have?
2. Why are the siblings mad about their new gift?
3. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
4. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
5. Who is the only person who cannot give in to beg for tram fare from Niang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
2. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
3. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
4. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
5. Where is Adeline taken the second time the chauffeur comes to fetch her?
6. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
7. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
8. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
9. How does Father react to the situation?
10. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
Essay Topic 1
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
There is great political upheaval during Adeline's childhood. Name two instances where Adeline's life is affected by the political environment and how she responds to these instances.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the Chinese New Year for the Chinese people. In Chapter 9, Adeline discusses the Chinese New Year. How are the gifts received by Adeline and her sibling symbolize and exemplify their status in the family? Explain what they receive and why these gifts are symbolic, especially when compared to the gifts given to Fourth Brother and Little Sister.
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)