|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Huangs bring the children?
2. How long is Adeline allowed to wear her medal?
3. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
4. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
5. How much younger is Niang than Adeline's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
2. Describe PLT's death.
3. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
4. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
5. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
6. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
7. Describe how Adeline gets to school on her first day.
8. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
9. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
10. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 2
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the safe deposit box that Aunt Baba keeps? What does it symbolize for both her and Adeline? Describe the box, including its contents and explain its role in Adeline's life.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)