|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the new tutor-nanny who gives Big Sister the creeps?
2. What makes Father and Niang immediately angry in relation to the children's school?
3. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline and her siblings after Nai Nai's death?
4. How old was Grandmother Nai Nai when her feet were bound?
5. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
2. Where is Adeline's mother?
3. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
4. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
5. How does Nai Nai die?
6. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
7. Describe PLT's death.
8. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
9. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
10. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)