|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills PLT?
2. Who greets them as they walk into their new home?
3. Niang is half Chinese and half __________.
4. How old was Grandmother Nai Nai when her feet were bound?
5. How many other siblings does Adeline have at the time of her mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
2. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
3. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
4. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
5. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
6. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
7. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
8. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
9. Where is Adeline's mother?
10. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the safe deposit box that Aunt Baba keeps? What does it symbolize for both her and Adeline? Describe the box, including its contents and explain its role in Adeline's life.
Essay Topic 2
Niang treats her own children vastly different from Adeline and her siblings. Choose two siblings in addition to Adeline and describe how Niang treats them in specific situations. Compare and contrast her treatment of these characters to Little Brother and Little Sister. What, according to your personal thoughts, are her motivations for treating these children differently?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)