|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Sister dump all over the floor in defiance of her mother?
2. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
3. What does Big Brother suggest they do with PLT instead of burying it?
4. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
5. Who is the only person who cannot give in to beg for tram fare from Niang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
2. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
3. How do Second Brother and Big Sister react to Adeline's medal at the dinner table?
4. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
5. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
6. Describe PLT's death.
7. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
8. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
9. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
10. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
Essay Topic 2
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)