|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Niang react when her daughter breaks the item?
2. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
3. How long after Adeline's mother dies does her father remarry?
4. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
5. What does Aunt Baba notice about Adeline as soon as she gets home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
2. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
3. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
4. How does Nai Nai die?
5. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
6. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
7. How do Second Brother and Big Sister react to Adeline's medal at the dinner table?
8. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
9. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
10. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
Essay Topic 2
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)