|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
2. How does Adeline react when PLT is killed?
3. What does Big Sister suggest after hearing Third Brother's revelation?
4. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
5. What does Aunt Baba notice about Adeline as soon as she gets home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
2. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
3. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
4. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
5. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
6. Describe PLT's death.
7. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
8. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
9. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
10. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the Chinese New Year for the Chinese people. In Chapter 9, Adeline discusses the Chinese New Year. How are the gifts received by Adeline and her sibling symbolize and exemplify their status in the family? Explain what they receive and why these gifts are symbolic, especially when compared to the gifts given to Fourth Brother and Little Sister.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)