|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Second Brother react to Adeline's medal?
2. Who helps Adeline to bury PLT?
3. Niang is half Chinese and half __________.
4. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
5. What does Aunt Baba notice about Adeline as soon as she gets home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
2. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
3. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
4. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
5. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
6. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
7. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
8. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
9. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
10. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the safe deposit box that Aunt Baba keeps? What does it symbolize for both her and Adeline? Describe the box, including its contents and explain its role in Adeline's life.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)