Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
2. Other than Chinese, which language is favored by the people in Adeline's town?
3. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
4. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
5. How old was Little Sister the last time she saw Niang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
2. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
3. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
6. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
7. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
8. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
9. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
10. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
Essay Topic 1
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the safe deposit box that Aunt Baba keeps? What does it symbolize for both her and Adeline? Describe the box, including its contents and explain its role in Adeline's life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)