Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
2. Other than Chinese, which language is favored by the people in Adeline's town?
3. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
4. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
5. How old was Little Sister the last time she saw Niang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
2. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
3. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
6. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
7. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
8. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
9. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
10. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the Chinese New Year for the Chinese people. In Chapter 9, Adeline discusses the Chinese New Year. How are the gifts received by Adeline and her sibling symbolize and exemplify their status in the family? Explain what they receive and why these gifts are symbolic, especially when compared to the gifts given to Fourth Brother and Little Sister.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the title of the book closely matches with Adeline's own life. In what ways are the two stories the same? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)