|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
2. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
3. What does Adeline call her duckling?
4. What changes about Big Sister after her move?
5. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
2. How does Nai Nai die?
3. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
4. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
5. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
6. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
7. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
8. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
9. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
10. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
Essay Topic 2
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline believes her siblings never forgive her for the death of their mother. Cite specific examples that demonstrate her siblings' dislike of her and instances where they break from their typical treatment of her.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)