|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dog that greets the children and what type of dog is he?
2. Why does Father want to test Jackie?
3. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
4. Why is Adeline considered bad luck by her family?
5. How old was Little Sister the last time she saw Niang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
2. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
3. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
4. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
5. Where is Adeline taken the second time the chauffeur comes to fetch her?
6. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
7. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
8. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
9. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
10. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
Essay Topic 1
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the safe deposit box that Aunt Baba keeps? What does it symbolize for both her and Adeline? Describe the box, including its contents and explain its role in Adeline's life.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline believes her siblings never forgive her for the death of their mother. Cite specific examples that demonstrate her siblings' dislike of her and instances where they break from their typical treatment of her.
This section contains 1,577 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)