|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have bound feet been a tradition in China?
2. Why is Adeline considered bad luck by her family?
3. What does Aunt Baba request from Father and Niang?
4. What injury does Big Sister have?
5. What do the siblings plan to do after they receive their gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nai Nai die?
2. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
3. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
4. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
5. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
6. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
7. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
8. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
9. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
10. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 2
The role of school and education plays a huge part in Adeline's life. Choose three educational institutions that Adeline attends. Describe each one and relate how school became a saving place and significant part of Adeline's world.
Essay Topic 3
Niang treats her own children vastly different from Adeline and her siblings. Choose two siblings in addition to Adeline and describe how Niang treats them in specific situations. Compare and contrast her treatment of these characters to Little Brother and Little Sister. What, according to your personal thoughts, are her motivations for treating these children differently?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)