|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is next to Adeline's school?
2. Who comes to visit the family after Father and Niang return from Tianjin?
3. How long has Adeline been in school at the start of Chapter 1?
4. How does her father react to her medal?
5. What does Big Brother try to teach Adeline to do, but no matter how hard she tries, she fails?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
2. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
3. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
4. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
5. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
6. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
7. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
8. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
9. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
10. Where does Adeline get the moniker "Chinese Cinderella"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 2
The role of school and education plays a huge part in Adeline's life. Choose three educational institutions that Adeline attends. Describe each one and relate how school became a saving place and significant part of Adeline's world.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)