|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline's family call her?
2. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
3. Who gives Adeline and her siblings money for school initially?
4. How long has Adeline been in school at the start of Chapter 1?
5. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
2. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
3. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
4. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
5. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
6. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
7. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
8. How does Nai Nai die?
9. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
10. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of school and education plays a huge part in Adeline's life. Choose three educational institutions that Adeline attends. Describe each one and relate how school became a saving place and significant part of Adeline's world.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Niang treats her own children vastly different from Adeline and her siblings. Choose two siblings in addition to Adeline and describe how Niang treats them in specific situations. Compare and contrast her treatment of these characters to Little Brother and Little Sister. What, according to your personal thoughts, are her motivations for treating these children differently?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)