|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets them as they walk into their new home?
2. Which of these adjectives does NOT describe Big Sister and Adeline's haircuts?
3. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
4. Why is Third Brother not traveling with them?
5. Which floor is where Father, Niang and her two children have their rooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
2. How does Nai Nai die?
3. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
4. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
5. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
6. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
7. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
8. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
9. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
10. Where is Adeline's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Niang treats her own children vastly different from Adeline and her siblings. Choose two siblings in addition to Adeline and describe how Niang treats them in specific situations. Compare and contrast her treatment of these characters to Little Brother and Little Sister. What, according to your personal thoughts, are her motivations for treating these children differently?
Essay Topic 2
Adeline believes her siblings never forgive her for the death of their mother. Cite specific examples that demonstrate her siblings' dislike of her and instances where they break from their typical treatment of her.
Essay Topic 3
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)