|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Sister break during the chaos?
2. Which one of these words does NOT describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai?
3. What is the name of the dog that greets the children and what type of dog is he?
4. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
5. Where does Aunt Baba place treasured items?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
2. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
3. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
4. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
5. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
6. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
7. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
8. How does Nai Nai die?
9. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
10. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How important is it that Niang is Eurasian and not fully Chinese in the novel? Explain instances that highlight Niang's mixed heritage and the importance of it in various situations.
Essay Topic 2
Adeline believes her siblings never forgive her for the death of their mother. Cite specific examples that demonstrate her siblings' dislike of her and instances where they break from their typical treatment of her.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)