|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline call her duckling?
2. Who kills PLT?
3. Why is Adeline considered bad luck by her family?
4. Why is Third Brother not traveling with them?
5. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
2. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
3. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
4. Describe how Adeline gets to school on her first day.
5. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
6. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
7. What does Adeline realize is somehow related to the new hierarchy of her family since Nai Nai's death?
8. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
9. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
10. How do Second Brother and Big Sister react to Adeline's medal at the dinner table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
Essay Topic 2
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)