|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Huangs bring the children?
2. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
3. What happens to Adeline as she is eating her fruit?
4. What is next to Adeline's school?
5. Who takes Adeline to school on her first day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
2. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
3. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
4. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
5. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
6. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
7. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
8. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
9. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
10. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
Essay Topic 2
Do you consider Adeline to be courageous? Why or why not? Write an essay on how you define courage and whether or not Adeline fits these requirements.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline's "egg-less" state while at Sacred Heart is symbolic of her life and lifestyle during this time. Using the eggs as a symbol, describe and explain Adeline's life while at the school.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)