|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Second Brother react to Adeline's medal?
2. What makes Father and Niang immediately angry in relation to the children's school?
3. What is the name of Adeline's new school in Shanghai?
4. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline and her siblings after Nai Nai's death?
5. How does Adeline remember her telephone number?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Adeline gets to school on her first day.
2. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
3. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
4. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
5. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
6. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
7. Where is Adeline's mother?
8. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
9. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
10. How do Second Brother and Big Sister react to Adeline's medal at the dinner table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of school and education plays a huge part in Adeline's life. Choose three educational institutions that Adeline attends. Describe each one and relate how school became a saving place and significant part of Adeline's world.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 3
Niang treats her own children vastly different from Adeline and her siblings. Choose two siblings in addition to Adeline and describe how Niang treats them in specific situations. Compare and contrast her treatment of these characters to Little Brother and Little Sister. What, according to your personal thoughts, are her motivations for treating these children differently?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)