|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is next to Adeline's school?
2. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
3. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive her for?
4. Who comes to get Adeline after she is lost after school?
5. Why does Adeline not like to sit next to Second Brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
2. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
3. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
4. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
5. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
6. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
7. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
8. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
9. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
10. How does Nai Nai die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
Essay Topic 3
Do you consider Adeline to be courageous? Why or why not? Write an essay on how you define courage and whether or not Adeline fits these requirements.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)