|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away from Adeline's home is her school in Shanghai?
2. What does Little Sister dump all over the floor in defiance of her mother?
3. What does Niang do after overhearing the conspiracy between the siblings?
4. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
5. How does Second Brother react to Adeline's medal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
2. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
3. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
4. Describe PLT's death.
5. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
6. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
7. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
8. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
9. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
10. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)