|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
2. Other than Chinese, which language is favored by the people in Adeline's town?
3. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
4. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
5. How old was Little Sister the last time she saw Niang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
2. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
3. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
6. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
7. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
8. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
9. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
10. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
Essay Topic 1
Father and Niang tell Adeline and her siblings that they want to teach them a lesson about austerity. Are they sincere in their actions? Why or why not? Is there a dichotomy between the children? Do Father and Niang live a life of austerity? Why or why not? Use specific examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail how the international playwriting competition Adeline enters significantly transforms her life.
Essay Topic 3
Adeline believes her siblings never forgive her for the death of their mother. Cite specific examples that demonstrate her siblings' dislike of her and instances where they break from their typical treatment of her.
This section contains 1,476 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)