|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Niang do after overhearing the conspiracy between the siblings?
2. What is next to Adeline's school?
3. Why are the brothers' haircuts much worse than the sisters'?
4. Who is the only person who cannot give in to beg for tram fare from Niang?
5. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive her for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
2. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
3. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
4. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
5. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
6. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
7. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
8. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
9. Describe how Adeline gets to school on her first day.
10. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Adeline's life with the Shilling family to her everyday life with Niang and Father.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Ye Ye and Father, his son. Using the King Lear reference as a guide, describe Ye Ye's position in the family compared to how many Asians view and revere their older family members. Compare and contrast the "typical" grandfather - father relationship and household position versus the one given to Ye Ye in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the title of the book closely matches with Adeline's own life. In what ways are the two stories the same? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)