|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline and her siblings after Nai Nai's death?
2. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
3. How did Adeline's mother die?
4. Who takes Adeline to school on her first day?
5. What do the children refer to the floor where Father, Niang, Fourth Brother and Little Sister live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
2. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
3. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
4. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
5. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
6. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
7. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
8. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
9. How does Nai Nai die?
10. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Niang can be considered the major source of Adeline's strife and unhappiness throughout the novel. Name 4 instances where she and Niang directly confront one another. How does Adeline handle the situation? How does Niang handle the situation? Why do you think each reacts in the way that they do?
Essay Topic 2
Adeline believes her siblings never forgive her for the death of their mother. Cite specific examples that demonstrate her siblings' dislike of her and instances where they break from their typical treatment of her.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)