|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Adeline considered bad luck by her family?
2. How does her father react to her medal?
3. How does Second Brother react to Adeline's medal?
4. Who greets them as they walk into their new home?
5. How did Adeline's mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Adeline gets to school on her first day.
2. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
3. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
4. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
5. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
6. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
7. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
8. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
9. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
10. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of school and education plays a huge part in Adeline's life. Choose three educational institutions that Adeline attends. Describe each one and relate how school became a saving place and significant part of Adeline's world.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the Chinese New Year for the Chinese people. In Chapter 9, Adeline discusses the Chinese New Year. How are the gifts received by Adeline and her sibling symbolize and exemplify their status in the family? Explain what they receive and why these gifts are symbolic, especially when compared to the gifts given to Fourth Brother and Little Sister.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)