|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adeline remember her telephone number?
2. Why does Father want to test Jackie?
3. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
4. What does Little Sister break during the chaos?
5. Why did mothers bind their little girls' feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
2. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
3. Describe PLT's death.
4. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
5. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
6. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
7. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
8. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
9. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
10. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of school and education plays a huge part in Adeline's life. Choose three educational institutions that Adeline attends. Describe each one and relate how school became a saving place and significant part of Adeline's world.
Essay Topic 2
There are many definitions of family outside of a person's blood relatives. Does Adeline experience a family relationship in other instances in the novel? Name and cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it fitting that Adeline comes home from school with a medal on her chest in the opening sentences of the novel? What does that medal signify? Why is it the ideal situation to open the novel?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)