|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children receive for the Chinese New Year?
2. Why does Big Brother choose PLT over the other ducklings?
3. Niang is half Chinese and half __________.
4. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
5. How long have bound feet been a tradition in China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
2. What does Adeline realize is somehow related to the new hierarchy of her family since Nai Nai's death?
3. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
4. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
5. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
6. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
7. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
8. Describe the difference in clothing between Adeline and her siblings versus Little Brother and Little Sister's new clothing.
9. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
10. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Ye Ye play in the life of Adeline? What lessons does he teach her? What does he and Nai Nai represent for her? Write a complete essay outlining the various ways that Nai Nai and Ye Ye both contribute to Adeline's life and her understanding of the world at large.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of abandonment is profound in this novel. Name three times where Adeline feels abandoned by her family and how she handles the situation.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the novel, Adeline says that to believe in one single positive dream is more important than a thousand negative realities. Do you think that Adeline lives this way as a child? Why or why not? What positive things happen to Adeline to counterbalance all of her negative instances? Name three positive things that happen to Adeline and how you feel they affected her.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)