|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is their election unusual?
(a) It is the first year they have permitted a class president.
(b) They are permitted to elect their president democratically as in the United States of America.
(c) They are only allowed to have an election once every five years.
(d) They will only allow a girl to win.
2. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
(a) That she and Aunt Baba will have to be separated.
(b) That she is no longer allowed in their home.
(c) That she can return to Wu Chen-mei's house.
(d) That she is worthless.
3. Where does Father and Niang take Adeline?
(d) Hong Kong.
4. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
(a) There has been an accident with her Father.
(b) Her friends from school are downstairs asking for her and Niang and her Father are home.
(c) She warns Adeline that Niang has discovered that she won the class presidency.
(d) Ah Sun warns her that Niang is about to take her out of school and send her far away.
5. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Three hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
2. What is the name of the ship they are sailing on?
3. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
4. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
5. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
2. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
3. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
4. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
5. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
6. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
7. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
8. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
9. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
10. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)