|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
(a) Wu Chen-mei.
(d) No one.
2. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
(a) They let the oldest child, Victor, have it.
(b) They give it to the boy, Victor.
(c) They play rocks, paper, scissors.
(d) They draw lots.
3. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
(a) Feeds leftovers from his afternoon tea to Jackie.
(b) Taunts her outside her door.
(c) Laughs and eats her piece of cake as she watches.
(d) Slips her notes of encouragement under the door.
4. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
(a) No one.
(b) Nancy Chen.
(c) Mother Natalie.
(d) Aunt Baba.
5. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
2. What do the siblings nickname the room where Little Sister and Fourth Brother live?
3. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
4. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
5. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
2. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
3. How does Father react to the situation?
4. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
5. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
6. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
7. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
8. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
9. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
10. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)