|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
(a) The silver coin from Aunt Baba.
(b) A piece of birthday cake.
(c) A new book.
(d) A new doll.
2. Who does Adeline talk with after seeing Cook?
(a) Big Sister.
(c) Aunt Baba.
3. How does Adeline feel after winning the class presidency?
(a) Hopeful that she can now get a scholarship and leave.
(b) Terrified that Niang will find out.
(c) On top of the world.
(d) Angry that she will have more responsibilities now.
4. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
(a) Laughs and eats her piece of cake as she watches.
(b) Slips her notes of encouragement under the door.
(c) Taunts her outside her door.
(d) Feeds leftovers from his afternoon tea to Jackie.
5. Where is Adeline dropped off?
(a) At an orphanage in Hong Kong.
(b) At an orphanage in Beijing.
(c) At St. Joseph's in Tianjin.
(d) At St. Joseph's in Shanghai.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who nearly plays a trick on Ye Ye?
2. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
3. What happens to the nicest gifts from Big Sister's wedding?
4. With which book are the children most fascinated?
5. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
2. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
3. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
4. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
5. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
6. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
7. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
8. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
9. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
10. How does Father react to the situation?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)