|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adeline do during a reading of King Lear in class?
(a) She falls asleep.
(b) She bursts out crying.
(c) She screams and runs out of the room.
(d) She plugs her ears and begins to hum.
2. Where does Ye Ye go every morning at eight o'clock?
(a) To the living room to read the newspapers.
(b) To Adeline's room to wake her up.
(c) To the local restaurant for breakfast with his friend.
(d) To prayer.
3. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
(a) They play rocks, paper, scissors.
(b) They let the oldest child, Victor, have it.
(c) They draw lots.
(d) They give it to the boy, Victor.
4. To whom will Big Sister be married?
(a) Niang's former math teacher.
(b) Dr. Lui, a business associate of her Father's.
(c) Dr. Sung's son, Samuel.
(d) Someone from their church.
5. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
(b) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(c) That she refuses to lead her class.
(d) That her mother is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
2. Who is the only person to greet Adeline?
3. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
4. Why does a classmate mysteriously assign her egg to Adeline?
5. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
2. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
3. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
4. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
5. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
6. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
7. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
8. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
9. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
10. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)