|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
(a) To become a famous doctor.
(b) To marry her to a much older man.
(c) To have to escape to America.
(d) To have her take care of her in her old age.
2. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
(a) Adeline finally confesses the truth.
(b) Wu Chen-mei calls the house looking for her.
(c) Niang calls her school.
(d) Big Sister tells Niang the true story.
3. Of the 1200 students at Sacred Heart, how many are boarders?
(a) Two hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
4. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
(a) Wu Chen-mei.
(c) No one.
5. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) Her phone number.
(b) A hug.
(c) A small paper bird.
(d) A poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
2. What fills Adeline with dread?
3. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
4. Which one of these people is not on the journey to Hong Kong?
5. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
2. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
3. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
4. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
5. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
6. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
7. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
8. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
9. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
10. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)