|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That her mother is dead.
(b) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(c) That she refuses to lead her class.
(d) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
2. Why does a classmate mysteriously assign her egg to Adeline?
(a) She wants to make Adeline sick.
(b) She feels bad for her.
(c) Her mother sends them to her and she hates eating them, so she gave it to Adeline instead.
(d) She wants to be Adeline's friend.
3. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
(a) Three hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) One hundred.
4. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
(a) Being attacked by the nuns in the school.
(b) The Communists coming into Tianjin and persecuting everyone at the school.
(c) Being left alone.
(d) Being left behind by her parents.
5. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
(a) Because Wu Chun-mei pays the other girls to vote for Adeline.
(b) Because the other rival quit.
(c) Due to Wu Chun-mei's popularity.
(d) Because the other rival is too unorganized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Adeline dropped off?
2. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
3. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
4. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
5. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
2. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
3. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
4. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
5. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
6. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
7. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
8. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
9. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
10. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)