|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Big Sister do to keep her gift from Grand Aunt?
(a) She hands it to her future husband as a promise gift.
(b) She admits keeping the gift at Aunt Baba's insistence and hiding it from Niang.
(c) She claims to lose it.
(d) She buries it in the backyard.
2. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
(a) Her favorite pet and her birthday.
(b) Her Chinese name and her birthday.
(c) Her birthday and her age.
(d) Her favorite pet and her Chinese name.
3. Why is their election unusual?
(a) They are permitted to elect their president democratically as in the United States of America.
(b) It is the first year they have permitted a class president.
(c) They are only allowed to have an election once every five years.
(d) They will only allow a girl to win.
4. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
(b) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(c) That her mother is dead.
(d) That she refuses to lead her class.
5. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
(a) Being attacked by the nuns in the school.
(b) Being left alone.
(c) Being left behind by her parents.
(d) The Communists coming into Tianjin and persecuting everyone at the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
2. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
3. Why is the next school day very special?
4. What is the name of the ship they are sailing on?
5. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Father react to the situation?
2. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
3. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
4. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
5. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
6. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
7. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
8. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
9. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
10. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)