|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these languages is not one of the three languages Ye Ye predicts will be left when all the world languages are distilled into just three?
2. Who does Adeline talk with after seeing Cook?
(a) Big Sister.
(c) Aunt Baba.
3. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
(a) An apple.
(b) A piece of French toast.
(c) A croissant.
(d) An egg.
4. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
(a) French and English.
(b) English and Spanish.
(c) French and Chinese.
(d) English and Chinese.
5. Who is the only person to greet Adeline?
(a) Little Sister.
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Ye Ye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
2. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
3. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
4. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
5. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
2. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
3. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
4. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
5. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
6. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
7. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
8. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
9. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
10. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)