|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
(a) To have her take care of her in her old age.
(b) To marry her to a much older man.
(c) To become a famous doctor.
(d) To have to escape to America.
2. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
(a) Nancy Chen and her mother.
(c) Aunt Baba.
3. With which book are the children most fascinated?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) The paper cuts book given to Adeline by Mother Marie.
(d) Sinbad the Sailor.
4. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
(a) A ring made of antique imperial green jade.
(b) A bracelet made of antique imperial green jade.
(c) A pendant made of antique imperial green jade.
(d) A hairclip made of antique imperial green jade.
5. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
(a) The dining room with all the delicious food choices.
(b) Their cabin.
(c) The library.
(d) The sun-filled deck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
2. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
3. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
4. Why does Adeline have to leave?
5. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
2. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
3. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
4. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
5. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
6. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
7. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
8. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
9. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
10. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)