|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
(a) To speak English as well as an American.
(b) To have a letter addressed to her, from anyone.
(c) To escape to America.
(d) To never return to her family again.
2. With which book are the children most fascinated?
(a) The paper cuts book given to Adeline by Mother Marie.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Sinbad the Sailor.
3. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
(a) English and Chinese.
(b) French and English.
(c) French and Chinese.
(d) English and Spanish.
4. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) A hug.
(b) A poem.
(c) Her phone number.
(d) A small paper bird.
5. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
(a) They escape the Communists and leave Tianjin.
(b) They are kidnapped by the Communists.
(c) They are imprisoned by the Communists.
(d) They run away from the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
2. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
3. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
4. Who does Adeline talk with after seeing Cook?
5. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
2. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
3. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
4. How does Father react to the situation?
5. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
6. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
7. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
8. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
9. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
10. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)