|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book is Adeline reading when she is surprised by her classmate and her mother in the library?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) King Lear.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
2. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
(a) They escape the Communists and leave Tianjin.
(b) They are kidnapped by the Communists.
(c) They are imprisoned by the Communists.
(d) They run away from the school.
3. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
(a) Big Sister.
(c) No one.
4. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) Her phone number.
(b) A poem.
(c) A hug.
(d) A small paper bird.
5. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
(a) Her friends from school are downstairs asking for her and Niang and her Father are home.
(b) Ah Sun warns her that Niang is about to take her out of school and send her far away.
(c) There has been an accident with her Father.
(d) She warns Adeline that Niang has discovered that she won the class presidency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
2. What does Big Sister do to keep her gift from Grand Aunt?
3. Why is their election unusual?
4. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
5. How does Adeline feel after winning the class presidency?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
2. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
3. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
4. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
5. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
6. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
7. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
8. How does Father react to the situation?
9. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
10. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)