|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
(a) Being left behind by her parents.
(b) Being attacked by the nuns in the school.
(c) Being left alone.
(d) The Communists coming into Tianjin and persecuting everyone at the school.
2. Why does Adeline have to leave?
(a) She is expected home at lunchtime.
(b) She has ripped her dress.
(c) She is embarrassed that she did not bring a gift.
(d) She doesn't want to eat the cake.
3. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
(a) They are imprisoned by the Communists.
(b) They escape the Communists and leave Tianjin.
(c) They run away from the school.
(d) They are kidnapped by the Communists.
4. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
(a) Her birthday and her age.
(b) Her favorite pet and her Chinese name.
(c) Her favorite pet and her birthday.
(d) Her Chinese name and her birthday.
5. How does Adeline feel after winning the class presidency?
(a) On top of the world.
(b) Hopeful that she can now get a scholarship and leave.
(c) Angry that she will have more responsibilities now.
(d) Terrified that Niang will find out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is their election unusual?
2. Which of these languages is not one of the three languages Ye Ye predicts will be left when all the world languages are distilled into just three?
3. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
4. What book is Adeline reading when she is surprised by her classmate and her mother in the library?
5. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
2. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
3. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
4. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
5. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
6. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
7. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
8. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
9. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
10. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)