|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The Holy of Holies.
(c) Ye Ye's room.
(d) The backyard.
2. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
(a) That they will remain best friends forever.
(b) That they will get away, stand on their own two feet and create their own destiny.
(c) That they will remain in Hong Kong forever.
(d) That they will escape to America together.
3. With which book are the children most fascinated?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) Sinbad the Sailor.
(d) The paper cuts book given to Adeline by Mother Marie.
4. Why does a classmate mysteriously assign her egg to Adeline?
(a) She wants to be Adeline's friend.
(b) She wants to make Adeline sick.
(c) She feels bad for her.
(d) Her mother sends them to her and she hates eating them, so she gave it to Adeline instead.
5. Why is the next school day very special?
(a) It is the Chinese New Year.
(b) It is Adeline's birthday.
(c) It is a school holiday.
(d) It is an election day for class president.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
2. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
3. How does Adeline sneak over to Wu Chun-mei's house?
4. Where is Adeline dropped off by Niang and Fourth Brother?
5. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Father react to the situation?
2. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
3. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
6. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
7. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
8. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
9. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
10. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)