|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
(a) They run away from the school.
(b) They escape the Communists and leave Tianjin.
(c) They are kidnapped by the Communists.
(d) They are imprisoned by the Communists.
2. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
(a) That she can return to Wu Chen-mei's house.
(b) That she is worthless.
(c) That she is no longer allowed in their home.
(d) That she and Aunt Baba will have to be separated.
3. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
(b) Big Sister.
(d) Aunt Baba.
4. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
5. Where does Father and Niang take Adeline?
(c) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
2. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
3. What happens to the nicest gifts from Big Sister's wedding?
4. In addition to being president, what else will the winner be?
5. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
2. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
3. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
4. What is Adeline's initial punishment from Niang and what does Adeline wish for?
5. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
6. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
7. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
8. What does Adeline attribute her victory to?
9. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
10. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)