|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
(d) Monica Lim.
2. Why is the next school day very special?
(a) It is Adeline's birthday.
(b) It is the Chinese New Year.
(c) It is a school holiday.
(d) It is an election day for class president.
3. Of the 1200 students at Sacred Heart, how many are boarders?
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
4. Where is Adeline dropped off by Niang and Fourth Brother?
(a) The Sacred Heart School and Orphanage.
(b) The Hong Kong School for the Gifted.
(c) The Hong Kong School for Homeless Children.
(d) The Sacred Blessings Orphanage.
5. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That her mother is dead.
(b) That she refuses to lead her class.
(c) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(d) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Big Sister's future husband than she?
2. To whom will Big Sister be married?
3. Who discovers that Niang learns about the gift that Big Sister is hiding from her?
4. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
5. What do the siblings nickname the room where Little Sister and Fourth Brother live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which Shakespeare play does Adeline have an emotional reaction to during class and why?
2. How does Father react to the situation?
3. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
4. How does Adeline finally leave St. Joseph's?
5. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
6. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
7. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
8. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
9. Why does Adeline reject the egg she is finally given? What reason does she give for not eating it?
10. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)