|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Adeline talk with after seeing Cook?
(b) Big Sister.
(d) Aunt Baba.
2. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
(a) Being left behind by her parents.
(b) Being left alone.
(c) Being attacked by the nuns in the school.
(d) The Communists coming into Tianjin and persecuting everyone at the school.
3. What fills Adeline with dread?
(a) The idea of being forced into an arranged marriage.
(b) That Big Sister might have children.
(c) The idea of marrying someone.
(d) That Big Sister will be leaving.
4. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
(a) French and Chinese.
(b) English and Spanish.
(c) English and Chinese.
(d) French and English.
5. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
(a) Monica Lim.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adeline have to leave?
2. Which one of these things is NOT handed out to the class by Adeline's rival, Chen Lei-lei?
3. Where is Adeline dropped off by Niang and Fourth Brother?
4. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
5. Which board game do the children play while traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
2. How is Adeline finally able to attend Wu Chen-mei's birthday party?
3. Describe the scene as all of the boarders leave for the holidays.
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
6. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
7. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
8. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
9. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
10. How does November 30th become Adeline birthday date?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)