|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the 1200 students at Sacred Heart, how many are boarders?
(a) Two hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
2. Who is the only person to greet Adeline?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Ye Ye.
(d) Little Sister.
3. What does Big Sister do to keep her gift from Grand Aunt?
(a) She admits keeping the gift at Aunt Baba's insistence and hiding it from Niang.
(b) She claims to lose it.
(c) She buries it in the backyard.
(d) She hands it to her future husband as a promise gift.
4. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
(a) They draw lots.
(b) They play rocks, paper, scissors.
(c) They let the oldest child, Victor, have it.
(d) They give it to the boy, Victor.
5. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
(a) Due to Wu Chun-mei's popularity.
(b) Because the other rival is too unorganized.
(c) Because Wu Chun-mei pays the other girls to vote for Adeline.
(d) Because the other rival quit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
2. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
3. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
4. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
5. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the students treat Adeline the next day at school after Niang's outrage?
2. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
3. What are some of the activities the children play while on the ship?
4. Describe how Adeline realizes Niang has learned about the secret gift from Grand Aunt.
5. Describe what happens shortly after Adeline returns home after winning the class presidency.
6. What does Adeline fantasize about at night?
7. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
8. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
9. Summarize Adeline's speech as a class president nominee.
10. Describe Adeline's outing with Fourth Brother and Niang, including its final destination for her.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)