|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Adeline and her family live at the start of the novel?
(a) Hong Kong.
2. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
(a) That she is having an affair.
(b) That she overheard their entire plan to write the letter to Father.
(c) That she is crippled.
(d) That she favors him above the others.
3. What is the name of the new tutor-nanny who gives Big Sister the creeps?
(a) Miss Nei.
(b) Miss Chien.
(c) Miss Fei.
(d) Miss Chu.
4. What do the siblings plan to do after they receive their gifts?
(a) Refuse to go to school any longer.
(b) Go on a hunger strike.
(c) Give the gifts back.
(d) Write a letter in Chinese and send it to their Father in the mail.
5. Who does Little Sister prefer when she arrives in Shanghai?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(d) Third Brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
2. Why does Adeline not like to sit next to Second Brother?
3. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
4. How many children does Niang have?
5. What does Adeline feed PLT?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Adeline's mother?
2. How do Second Brother and Big Sister react to Adeline's medal at the dinner table?
3. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
4. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
5. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
6. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
7. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
8. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
9. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
10. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)