|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
(a) New eyeglasses.
(b) Identical, loose-fitting long Chinese gowns.
(c) School books.
(d) New shoes.
2. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
(a) Aunt Reine.
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Grandfather Ye Ye.
(d) Grandmother Nai Nai.
3. Where is the train headed?
(a) To Beijing.
(b) To Shanghai.
(c) To Hong Kong.
(d) To Hanoi.
4. What does Aunt Baba notice about Adeline as soon as she gets home from school?
(a) She cut her hair.
(b) She has torn her dress, which will infuriate her stepmother.
(c) She has gotten into a fight.
(d) She has a silver medal dangling from her uniform.
5. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
(a) Walk out of the room.
(b) Yell at Little Sister.
(c) Scream at Niang.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Niang have?
2. What does Big Brother try to teach Adeline to do, but no matter how hard she tries, she fails?
3. Why does Father want to test Jackie?
4. Who comes to get Adeline after she is lost after school?
5. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
2. How does Nai Nai die?
3. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
4. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
5. Describe how Adeline gets to school on her first day.
6. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
7. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
8. How do Second Brother and Big Sister react to Adeline's medal at the dinner table?
9. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
10. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)