|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
(a) That she is having an affair.
(b) That she favors him above the others.
(c) That she overheard their entire plan to write the letter to Father.
(d) That she is crippled.
2. What is Adeline's favorite fruit?
(c) Dragon's eyes.
3. Who comes to visit the family after Father and Niang return from Tianjin?
(a) Their former cook.
(b) The Stricklands.
(c) The Huangs.
(d) The nuns from their old missionary school.
4. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
(b) Big Sister.
(c) Third Brother.
(d) Second Brother.
5. How does Adeline react when PLT is killed?
(a) She refuses to eat.
(b) She slaps and punches Big Brother for choosing her duckling.
(c) She screams at Father and Jackie.
(d) She picks up the duckling and sleeps with it in her bed all night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to get Adeline after she is lost after school?
2. How long after Adeline's mother dies does her father remarry?
3. What does Adeline's family call her?
4. What does Adeline feed PLT?
5. What does Niang do after overhearing the conspiracy between the siblings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
2. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
3. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
4. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
5. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
6. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
7. Where is Adeline's mother?
8. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
9. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
10. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)