Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Third Brother.
(c) Second Brother.
2. Other than Chinese, which language is favored by the people in Adeline's town?
3. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
(a) Her Aunt Baba warns her of this.
(b) Her father tells her this.
(c) She has no friends in the new city.
(d) No one realized she hadn't returned home from school.
4. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
5. How old was Little Sister the last time she saw Niang?
(a) Four months old.
(b) One year old.
(c) Three months old.
(d) Six months old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive her for?
2. How does Adeline remember her telephone number?
3. How long ago has the custom of bound feet been abandoned by the time Grandmother Ye Ye talks with Adeline?
4. How many fruit pieces does Adeline receive?
5. Why is Grandmother Nai Nai in pain at the start of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political situation when Adeline boards the plane for Tianjin.
2. Describe the scene at Big Sister's wedding.
3. Describe the scene when the Shilling family and Adeline arrive at the Shanghai household.
4. How does Adeline discover Big Sister's impending nuptials?
5. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
6. Describe the room where Adeline is left when she arrives at St. Joseph's.
7. How is it decided who will sleep on the cots on the China Star?
8. Describe what happens with the wedding gifts that arrive at the house.
9. Describe what happens when Adeline arrives home for lunch.
10. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)