|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit the family after Father and Niang return from Tianjin?
(a) The nuns from their old missionary school.
(b) The Stricklands.
(c) The Huangs.
(d) Their former cook.
2. Why are the brothers' haircuts much worse than the sisters'?
(a) They are forced to have long, curly locks.
(b) They are forced to grow a ponytail.
(c) They are shaved bald in the style of Buddhist Monks.
(d) They have to wear it in the military style.
3. What do the siblings plan to do after they receive their gifts?
(a) Write a letter in Chinese and send it to their Father in the mail.
(b) Go on a hunger strike.
(c) Refuse to go to school any longer.
(d) Give the gifts back.
4. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Third Brother.
(c) Second Brother.
5. Where does Aunt Baba place treasured items?
(a) In a secret compartment in the closet.
(b) Under her mattress.
(c) In her safe-deposit box.
(d) Behind a clock on the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Adeline been in school at the start of Chapter 1?
2. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
3. Where is the train headed?
4. Why does Adeline's relationship with PLT startle Aunt Baba?
5. Who does Little Sister prefer when she arrives in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
2. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
3. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
4. Where is Adeline's mother?
5. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
6. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
7. How does Nai Nai die?
8. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
9. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
10. How does Adeline remember her phone number?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)