|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
(a) Third Brother.
(b) Second Brother.
(d) Big Sister.
2. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
(a) Identical, loose-fitting long Chinese gowns.
(b) School books.
(c) New shoes.
(d) New eyeglasses.
3. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
(a) That she is having an affair.
(b) That she is crippled.
(c) That she favors him above the others.
(d) That she overheard their entire plan to write the letter to Father.
4. Why are the brothers' haircuts much worse than the sisters'?
(a) They have to wear it in the military style.
(b) They are forced to grow a ponytail.
(c) They are forced to have long, curly locks.
(d) They are shaved bald in the style of Buddhist Monks.
5. Who does Adeline sit between at the dinner table in her assigned position?
(a) Second Brother and Third Brother.
(b) Big Sister and Little Sister.
(c) Third Brother and Big Sister.
(d) Third Brother and Fourth Brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to get Adeline after she is lost after school?
2. Who comes to visit the family after Father and Niang return from Tianjin?
3. Who picks Adeline up from school after her first day?
4. What is the name of the dog that greets the children and what type of dog is he?
5. Who helps Adeline to bury PLT?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
2. Why does the family consider Adeline to be bad luck?
3. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
4. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
5. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
6. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
7. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
8. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
9. Why were Nai Nai's feet bound in such a way?
10. What is Chinese New Year significant for Adeline and her family?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)