|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Second Brother react to Adeline's medal?
(a) He hits her on the top of the head and twists her right arm sharply.
(b) He steals all the food off of her plate in an instant.
(c) He smiles at her and gives her some of his pear.
(d) He claps his hand and sings her a song.
2. How old was Grandmother Nai Nai when her feet were bound?
(a) Six years old.
(b) A newborn.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Four years old.
3. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
(a) Identical, loose-fitting long Chinese gowns.
(b) School books.
(c) New eyeglasses.
(d) New shoes.
4. Where is the train headed?
(a) To Hong Kong.
(b) To Hanoi.
(c) To Shanghai.
(d) To Beijing.
5. What does Adeline's father give her after she gets lost?
(a) A map.
(b) A compass.
(c) A spanking.
(d) A flashlight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Adeline and her siblings money for school initially?
2. What happens to Adeline as she is eating her fruit?
3. What does Aunt Baba notice about Adeline as soon as she gets home from school?
4. What do the Huangs bring the children?
5. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
2. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
3. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
4. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
5. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
6. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
7. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
8. What does Adeline realize is somehow related to the new hierarchy of her family since Nai Nai's death?
9. Why does Adeline come home with a medal on her uniform?
10. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)