|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
(a) To clean the house and cook for the family.
(b) Perfect grades.
(c) A sincere apology, admitting they have been wrong to get money from Ye Ye.
(d) A job.
2. What changes about Big Sister after her move?
(a) She often races back up to be with her siblings.
(b) She becomes best friends with Miss Chien and Niang.
(c) She stops eating and loses weight drastically.
(d) She never stops crying.
3. What do the Huangs bring the children?
(a) Seven baby ducklings.
(b) New pencils.
(d) New notebooks.
4. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
(a) That she is having an affair.
(b) That she overheard their entire plan to write the letter to Father.
(c) That she is crippled.
(d) That she favors him above the others.
5. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
(a) Third Brother.
(c) Second Brother.
(d) Big Sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Adeline and her siblings during their surprise outing?
2. Who gives Adeline and her siblings money for school initially?
3. What happens to Adeline as she is eating her fruit?
4. Why is Third Brother not traveling with them?
5. What do the siblings plan to do after they receive their gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
2. Describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai.
3. How does Nai Nai die?
4. Why does Niang become enraged after Aunt Baba brings up the subject of money at the dinner table?
5. How were Grandmother Nai Nai's feet bound when she was a small child?
6. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
7. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
8. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
9. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
10. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)