|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Adeline considered bad luck by her family?
(a) Because she was born with a mark on her back.
(b) Because her Mama died giving birth to her and would still be alive otherwise.
(c) Because she is the youngest child of the family.
(d) Because she is a girl.
2. Why does Adeline leave her school alone after it is over for the day?
(a) She wants to prove she is independent.
(b) She fears walking home with Big Sister.
(c) She thinks she can make the walk by herself and rejects her family members.
(d) She is too embarrassed to ask for help.
3. How does Adeline react when PLT is killed?
(a) She slaps and punches Big Brother for choosing her duckling.
(b) She screams at Father and Jackie.
(c) She picks up the duckling and sleeps with it in her bed all night.
(d) She refuses to eat.
4. How does Adeline remember her telephone number?
(a) She has a small copy of it in her pocket.
(b) She writes it on her hand.
(c) She copies it into her notebook each evening.
(d) Through a numbers game she plays with Big Brother.
5. Why is Grandmother Nai Nai in pain at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) She has broken her back.
(b) She has broken her hip.
(c) Her feet were bound as a child, causing her never-ending pain.
(d) She has broken her arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Little Sister prefer when she arrives in Shanghai?
2. Why does Big Brother choose PLT over the other ducklings?
3. What does Big Sister suggest after hearing Third Brother's revelation?
4. What do the siblings plan to do after they receive their gifts?
5. What does Adeline call her duckling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
2. How does Nai Nai die?
3. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
4. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive?
5. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
6. Describe Adeline's relationship with PLT.
7. Describe how the children plot against Niang and the final result of their actions.
8. What does Adeline realize is somehow related to the new hierarchy of her family since Nai Nai's death?
9. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
10. Describe how Adeline gets to school on her first day.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)