|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Adeline and her family live at the start of the novel?
(d) Hong Kong.
2. Who comes to get Adeline after she is lost after school?
(a) Big Sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Second Brother.
3. Where is the train headed?
(a) To Hanoi.
(b) To Hong Kong.
(c) To Shanghai.
(d) To Beijing.
4. Why does Father want to test Jackie?
(a) To punish Adeline.
(b) To prove that the dog is smart.
(c) To see if he is a violent dog.
(d) To see if his expensive training is working.
5. What does Big Brother try to teach Adeline to do, but no matter how hard she tries, she fails?
(a) Snap her fingers.
(c) Sing a complicated tune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Sister break during the chaos?
2. Who does Little Sister prefer when she arrives in Shanghai?
3. What color are Niang's nails when she points at Adeline, threatening to never forgive her for her arrogance?
4. What do the Huangs bring the children?
5. What injury does Big Sister have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mysteriously happens shortly after the Japanese start to look for Father at his house?
2. What does Adeline realize is somehow related to the new hierarchy of her family since Nai Nai's death?
3. What mischievous trick does Big Brother play on Grandfather Ye Ye while he is sleeping?
4. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
5. Why are Adeline and Wu Chen-mei perfect friends?
6. What does Aunt Baba do whenever something bad happens to Adeline?
7. Describe PLT's death.
8. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
9. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
10. Why does Aunt Baba say that she would like a job?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)