|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Adeline's mother die?
(a) She was in a car accident shortly after Adeline was born.
(b) She came down with a high fever three days after Adeline was born.
(c) She killed herself shortly after Adeline was born.
(d) She died in childbirth with Adeline.
2. What does Big Sister suggest after hearing Third Brother's revelation?
(a) To confront Niang.
(b) To deny everything.
(c) To run away.
(d) To confront Niang and their Father simultaneously.
3. What makes Father and Niang immediately angry in relation to the children's school?
(a) They need new uniforms.
(b) The school has kicked the children out.
(c) The school has increased its tuition.
(d) Ye Ye has been giving them tram fare without their knowledge so they wouldn't have to walk every day.
4. Which family member does Adeline share a room with?
(a) Third Brother.
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Big Sister.
(d) Little Sister.
5. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
(a) Perfect grades.
(b) To clean the house and cook for the family.
(c) A job.
(d) A sincere apology, admitting they have been wrong to get money from Ye Ye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Adeline and her siblings money for school initially?
2. What does Big Brother try to teach Adeline to do, but no matter how hard she tries, she fails?
3. What does Adeline call her duckling?
4. Who greets Adeline and her siblings during their surprise outing?
5. Why is Third Brother not traveling with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Little Sister react to Niang when she finally arrives in Shanghai and how does Niang respond?
2. Describe Adeline's experience leaving school on the first day.
3. Who does Father remarry after their mother dies?
4. Name Adeline's siblings and their ages at the time of her birth.
5. How does Adeline acquire food for PLT?
6. Name three ways that Father and Niang institute their austerity program towards Adeline and her siblings (excluding Little Brother and Little Sister).
7. How many children do Father and Niang have together?
8. Why does Father give her a map and why is it significant?
9. What does Adeline realize is somehow related to the new hierarchy of her family since Nai Nai's death?
10. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline, Big Sister, Big Brother and Second Brother six weeks after Nai Nai's funeral?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)