|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the siblings nickname the room where Little Sister and Fourth Brother live?
(a) The antechamber.
(b) Little Dominion.
(d) Little Holy.
2. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
(a) She wants her to run away from her house.
(b) She has never had a friend over before and wants Adeline to be the first one.
(c) She wants to give Adeline her old clothes.
(d) She is having a birthday party.
3. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Thirteen years old.
(c) Eight years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
4. To whom will Big Sister be married?
(a) Someone from their church.
(b) Dr. Sung's son, Samuel.
(c) Niang's former math teacher.
(d) Dr. Lui, a business associate of her Father's.
5. Where is Adeline dropped off?
(a) At St. Joseph's in Shanghai.
(b) At an orphanage in Hong Kong.
(c) At St. Joseph's in Tianjin.
(d) At an orphanage in Beijing.
6. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
(a) To have a letter addressed to her, from anyone.
(b) To escape to America.
(c) To never return to her family again.
(d) To speak English as well as an American.
7. What does Adeline do during a reading of King Lear in class?
(a) She falls asleep.
(b) She bursts out crying.
(c) She screams and runs out of the room.
(d) She plugs her ears and begins to hum.
8. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) A hug.
(b) A poem.
(c) A small paper bird.
(d) Her phone number.
9. Why is the next school day very special?
(a) It is Adeline's birthday.
(b) It is a school holiday.
(c) It is an election day for class president.
(d) It is the Chinese New Year.
10. What animal is Wu Chen-mei about to receive?
(a) A pug.
(b) A bird.
(c) A duckling.
(d) A fish.
11. In addition to being president, what else will the winner be?
(a) The smartest girl in school.
(b) The head girl of the entire school.
(c) In charge of all the school holidays.
(d) The most wealthy girl in school.
12. Which board game do the children play while traveling?
13. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
(a) By taxi.
(b) By a rickshaw.
(c) By Father's large black Cadillac.
(d) By walking.
14. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
(a) They are kidnapped by the Communists.
(b) They escape the Communists and leave Tianjin.
(c) They are imprisoned by the Communists.
(d) They run away from the school.
15. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
(a) Because Wu Chun-mei pays the other girls to vote for Adeline.
(b) Because the other rival is too unorganized.
(c) Because the other rival quit.
(d) Due to Wu Chun-mei's popularity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adeline have to leave?
2. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
3. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
4. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
5. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)