|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
(a) By taxi.
(b) By walking.
(c) By Father's large black Cadillac.
(d) By a rickshaw.
2. Who does Adeline talk with after seeing Cook?
(b) Big Sister.
(d) Aunt Baba.
3. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
(a) Her favorite pet and her birthday.
(b) Her favorite pet and her Chinese name.
(c) Her Chinese name and her birthday.
(d) Her birthday and her age.
4. What animal is Wu Chen-mei about to receive?
(a) A duckling.
(b) A bird.
(c) A fish.
(d) A pug.
5. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Nancy Chen and her mother.
6. What fills Adeline with dread?
(a) The idea of marrying someone.
(b) That Big Sister will be leaving.
(c) That Big Sister might have children.
(d) The idea of being forced into an arranged marriage.
7. What does Adeline do during a reading of King Lear in class?
(a) She falls asleep.
(b) She plugs her ears and begins to hum.
(c) She bursts out crying.
(d) She screams and runs out of the room.
8. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
(a) Being attacked by the nuns in the school.
(b) Being left behind by her parents.
(c) Being left alone.
(d) The Communists coming into Tianjin and persecuting everyone at the school.
9. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
(a) An egg.
(b) A croissant.
(c) An apple.
(d) A piece of French toast.
10. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
(a) No one.
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Mother Natalie.
(d) Nancy Chen.
11. Where does Ye Ye go every morning at eight o'clock?
(a) To prayer.
(b) To the local restaurant for breakfast with his friend.
(c) To Adeline's room to wake her up.
(d) To the living room to read the newspapers.
12. What book is Adeline reading when she is surprised by her classmate and her mother in the library?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Moby Dick.
(d) King Lear.
13. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
(a) That she is no longer allowed in their home.
(b) That she is worthless.
(c) That she can return to Wu Chen-mei's house.
(d) That she and Aunt Baba will have to be separated.
14. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
(a) French and English.
(b) English and Spanish.
(c) French and Chinese.
(d) English and Chinese.
15. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
(a) She wants her to run away from her house.
(b) She is having a birthday party.
(c) She has never had a friend over before and wants Adeline to be the first one.
(d) She wants to give Adeline her old clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
2. Which of these languages is not one of the three languages Ye Ye predicts will be left when all the world languages are distilled into just three?
3. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
4. Of the 1200 students at Sacred Heart, how many are boarders?
5. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)