|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
(a) That they will escape to America together.
(b) That they will remain in Hong Kong forever.
(c) That they will get away, stand on their own two feet and create their own destiny.
(d) That they will remain best friends forever.
2. How much older is Big Sister's future husband than she?
(a) Thirty years older.
(b) Twice her age.
(c) Two years older.
(d) Ten years older.
3. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That she refuses to lead her class.
(b) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
(c) That her mother is dead.
(d) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
4. What book is Adeline reading when she is surprised by her classmate and her mother in the library?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) King Lear.
5. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
(a) Because Wu Chun-mei pays the other girls to vote for Adeline.
(b) Because the other rival quit.
(c) Due to Wu Chun-mei's popularity.
(d) Because the other rival is too unorganized.
6. To whom will Big Sister be married?
(a) Someone from their church.
(b) Niang's former math teacher.
(c) Dr. Sung's son, Samuel.
(d) Dr. Lui, a business associate of her Father's.
7. Where is Adeline dropped off?
(a) At an orphanage in Hong Kong.
(b) At St. Joseph's in Tianjin.
(c) At an orphanage in Beijing.
(d) At St. Joseph's in Shanghai.
8. Which board game do the children play while traveling?
9. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
10. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
(a) She wants her to run away from her house.
(b) She has never had a friend over before and wants Adeline to be the first one.
(c) She is having a birthday party.
(d) She wants to give Adeline her old clothes.
11. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
(a) That she had never returned home.
(b) That she could run away.
(c) That she would be Jackie and Jackie would be her.
(d) That she would be adopted by Wu Chen-mei's family.
12. Where is Adeline dropped off by Niang and Fourth Brother?
(a) The Sacred Blessings Orphanage.
(b) The Hong Kong School for the Gifted.
(c) The Sacred Heart School and Orphanage.
(d) The Hong Kong School for Homeless Children.
13. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
14. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
(a) Nancy Chen and her mother.
(c) Aunt Baba.
15. What does Big Sister do to keep her gift from Grand Aunt?
(a) She claims to lose it.
(b) She buries it in the backyard.
(c) She admits keeping the gift at Aunt Baba's insistence and hiding it from Niang.
(d) She hands it to her future husband as a promise gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is their election unusual?
2. What fills Adeline with dread?
3. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
4. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
5. In addition to being president, what else will the winner be?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)