|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets them at the airport?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Niang's former teacher.
(c) Niang's brother Pierre Prosperi.
(d) Ye Ye.
2. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
(b) No one.
(d) Wu Chen-mei.
3. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
(a) That she and Aunt Baba will have to be separated.
(b) That she is no longer allowed in their home.
(c) That she can return to Wu Chen-mei's house.
(d) That she is worthless.
4. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That her mother is dead.
(b) That she refuses to lead her class.
(c) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
(d) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
5. What is the name of the ship they are sailing on?
(a) Evening Star.
(b) China Hope.
(c) China Star.
(d) Evening Sun.
6. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
(a) That they will escape to America together.
(b) That they will remain best friends forever.
(c) That they will get away, stand on their own two feet and create their own destiny.
(d) That they will remain in Hong Kong forever.
7. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
(a) They draw lots.
(b) They give it to the boy, Victor.
(c) They play rocks, paper, scissors.
(d) They let the oldest child, Victor, have it.
8. Where does Ye Ye go every morning at eight o'clock?
(a) To the local restaurant for breakfast with his friend.
(b) To prayer.
(c) To the living room to read the newspapers.
(d) To Adeline's room to wake her up.
9. Which one of these things is NOT handed out to the class by Adeline's rival, Chen Lei-lei?
(c) Dragon eyes.
(d) Beef jerky.
10. Which one of these people is not on the journey to Hong Kong?
(d) Aunt Reine.
11. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
(a) Her birthday and her age.
(b) Her Chinese name and her birthday.
(c) Her favorite pet and her Chinese name.
(d) Her favorite pet and her birthday.
12. Where does Father and Niang take Adeline?
(d) Hong Kong.
13. Who discovers that Niang learns about the gift that Big Sister is hiding from her?
(a) Big Sister.
(c) Little Sister.
(d) Aunt Baba.
14. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
(d) Monica Lim.
15. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
(a) A hairclip made of antique imperial green jade.
(b) A pendant made of antique imperial green jade.
(c) A bracelet made of antique imperial green jade.
(d) A ring made of antique imperial green jade.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
2. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
3. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
4. Which of these languages is not one of the three languages Ye Ye predicts will be left when all the world languages are distilled into just three?
5. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)