|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The backyard.
(c) Ye Ye's room.
(d) The Holy of Holies.
2. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
(a) English and Spanish.
(b) English and Chinese.
(c) French and English.
(d) French and Chinese.
3. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
(a) Because the other rival is too unorganized.
(b) Because the other rival quit.
(c) Because Wu Chun-mei pays the other girls to vote for Adeline.
(d) Due to Wu Chun-mei's popularity.
4. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
(a) Nancy Chen and her mother.
(d) Aunt Baba.
5. What does Ye Ye want from Adeline?
(a) To grow up differently from Big Sister.
(b) A foot massage.
(c) To pay back the money he gave her.
(d) To confront Niang about her cruelty.
6. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
(a) To become a famous doctor.
(b) To marry her to a much older man.
(c) To have to escape to America.
(d) To have her take care of her in her old age.
7. Who is the only person to greet Adeline?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Little Sister.
(c) Ye Ye.
8. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
(a) Their cabin.
(b) The sun-filled deck.
(c) The library.
(d) The dining room with all the delicious food choices.
9. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
10. Where does Father and Niang take Adeline?
(c) Hong Kong.
11. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
12. How does Adeline sneak over to Wu Chun-mei's house?
(a) She feigns sickness and leaves school to go to Wu Chen-mei's house instead.
(b) There is a school holiday and she pretends to go to school, but goes to Wu Chen-mei's house instead.
(c) She skips school.
(d) She sneaks out of the house without Niang seeing her.
13. Who meets them at the airport?
(a) Niang's former teacher.
(b) Niang's brother Pierre Prosperi.
(c) Ye Ye.
(d) Big Sister.
14. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Thirteen years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
15. What does Aunt Reine surprise the family with when she arrives?
(a) She cuts diamonds from her coat buttons.
(b) She wants to adopt Adeline.
(c) She is moving in with them.
(d) She is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
2. Why does a classmate mysteriously assign her egg to Adeline?
3. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
4. What do the siblings nickname the room where Little Sister and Fourth Brother live?
5. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)