|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Big Sister do to keep her gift from Grand Aunt?
(a) She hands it to her future husband as a promise gift.
(b) She buries it in the backyard.
(c) She claims to lose it.
(d) She admits keeping the gift at Aunt Baba's insistence and hiding it from Niang.
2. What is the name of the ship they are sailing on?
(a) China Hope.
(b) Evening Sun.
(c) Evening Star.
(d) China Star.
3. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
(c) No one.
(d) Big Sister.
4. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
(a) She warns Adeline that Niang has discovered that she won the class presidency.
(b) Her friends from school are downstairs asking for her and Niang and her Father are home.
(c) Ah Sun warns her that Niang is about to take her out of school and send her far away.
(d) There has been an accident with her Father.
5. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
(a) English and Chinese.
(b) French and Chinese.
(c) English and Spanish.
(d) French and English.
6. What does Ye Ye want from Adeline?
(a) To pay back the money he gave her.
(b) To grow up differently from Big Sister.
(c) A foot massage.
(d) To confront Niang about her cruelty.
7. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
(a) A hairclip made of antique imperial green jade.
(b) A pendant made of antique imperial green jade.
(c) A bracelet made of antique imperial green jade.
(d) A ring made of antique imperial green jade.
8. Which one of these things is NOT handed out to the class by Adeline's rival, Chen Lei-lei?
(a) Beef jerky.
(b) Dragon eyes.
9. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
(a) By walking.
(b) By taxi.
(c) By Father's large black Cadillac.
(d) By a rickshaw.
10. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
(a) Adeline finally confesses the truth.
(b) Wu Chen-mei calls the house looking for her.
(c) Niang calls her school.
(d) Big Sister tells Niang the true story.
11. Where is Adeline dropped off by Niang and Fourth Brother?
(a) The Sacred Heart School and Orphanage.
(b) The Hong Kong School for Homeless Children.
(c) The Sacred Blessings Orphanage.
(d) The Hong Kong School for the Gifted.
12. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
(a) To never return to her family again.
(b) To speak English as well as an American.
(c) To escape to America.
(d) To have a letter addressed to her, from anyone.
13. With which book are the children most fascinated?
(a) The paper cuts book given to Adeline by Mother Marie.
(b) Sinbad the Sailor.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) Moby Dick.
14. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) Her phone number.
(b) A poem.
(c) A hug.
(d) A small paper bird.
15. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
(a) Due to Wu Chun-mei's popularity.
(b) Because the other rival quit.
(c) Because Wu Chun-mei pays the other girls to vote for Adeline.
(d) Because the other rival is too unorganized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers that Niang learns about the gift that Big Sister is hiding from her?
2. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
3. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
4. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
5. Where does Father and Niang take Adeline?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)