|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
2. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
3. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
(a) French and English.
(b) English and Chinese.
(c) French and Chinese.
(d) English and Spanish.
4. What does Ye Ye want from Adeline?
(a) To confront Niang about her cruelty.
(b) A foot massage.
(c) To pay back the money he gave her.
(d) To grow up differently from Big Sister.
5. Of the 1200 students at Sacred Heart, how many are boarders?
(b) Two hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
6. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Big Sister.
7. Which board game do the children play while traveling?
8. Who nearly plays a trick on Ye Ye?
(a) Second Brother.
(b) Third Brother.
(c) Fourth Brother.
(d) Little Sister.
9. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
(a) In the bathroom.
(b) Hiding under a large chair.
(c) Hiding behind a potted plant.
(d) Hiding under the table.
10. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(b) That her mother is dead.
(c) That she refuses to lead her class.
(d) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
11. Why is their election unusual?
(a) They are only allowed to have an election once every five years.
(b) They are permitted to elect their president democratically as in the United States of America.
(c) It is the first year they have permitted a class president.
(d) They will only allow a girl to win.
12. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
(a) The sun-filled deck.
(b) Their cabin.
(c) The dining room with all the delicious food choices.
(d) The library.
13. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Thirteen years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Ten years old.
14. How does Adeline sneak over to Wu Chun-mei's house?
(a) There is a school holiday and she pretends to go to school, but goes to Wu Chen-mei's house instead.
(b) She feigns sickness and leaves school to go to Wu Chen-mei's house instead.
(c) She skips school.
(d) She sneaks out of the house without Niang seeing her.
15. What book is Adeline reading when she is surprised by her classmate and her mother in the library?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) King Lear.
(c) Moby Dick.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which book are the children most fascinated?
2. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
3. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
4. What animal is Wu Chen-mei about to receive?
5. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)