|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
(b) Wu Chen-mei.
(c) No one.
2. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That she refuses to lead her class.
(b) That her mother is dead.
(c) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(d) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
3. What does Aunt Reine surprise the family with when she arrives?
(a) She is moving in with them.
(b) She wants to adopt Adeline.
(c) She cuts diamonds from her coat buttons.
(d) She is pregnant.
4. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
(a) Taunts her outside her door.
(b) Laughs and eats her piece of cake as she watches.
(c) Feeds leftovers from his afternoon tea to Jackie.
(d) Slips her notes of encouragement under the door.
5. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
(a) The sun-filled deck.
(b) The dining room with all the delicious food choices.
(c) The library.
(d) Their cabin.
6. Why is the next school day very special?
(a) It is an election day for class president.
(b) It is a school holiday.
(c) It is the Chinese New Year.
(d) It is Adeline's birthday.
7. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
(a) They draw lots.
(b) They play rocks, paper, scissors.
(c) They let the oldest child, Victor, have it.
(d) They give it to the boy, Victor.
8. Which board game do the children play while traveling?
9. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
(a) To never return to her family again.
(b) To have a letter addressed to her, from anyone.
(c) To escape to America.
(d) To speak English as well as an American.
10. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
(a) Ye Ye's room.
(b) The backyard.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The Holy of Holies.
11. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
(a) That they will escape to America together.
(b) That they will get away, stand on their own two feet and create their own destiny.
(c) That they will remain in Hong Kong forever.
(d) That they will remain best friends forever.
12. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
13. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) A hug.
(b) A poem.
(c) A small paper bird.
(d) Her phone number.
14. What is the name of the ship they are sailing on?
(a) China Hope.
(b) China Star.
(c) Evening Sun.
(d) Evening Star.
15. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
(a) Because the older girls are cruel to her.
(b) She cannot speak English very well.
(c) To punish her.
(d) She is not as smart as the other girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adeline have to leave?
2. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
3. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
4. Who meets them at the airport?
5. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)