|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
(a) To punish her.
(b) She is not as smart as the other girls.
(c) She cannot speak English very well.
(d) Because the older girls are cruel to her.
2. Where does Father and Niang take Adeline?
(c) Hong Kong.
3. Where is Adeline dropped off?
(a) At St. Joseph's in Shanghai.
(b) At an orphanage in Beijing.
(c) At an orphanage in Hong Kong.
(d) At St. Joseph's in Tianjin.
4. When do Niang's plans for Big Sister come to light?
(a) On Adeline's birthday.
(b) On Big Sister's birthday.
(c) Chinese New Year 1948.
(d) On her future husband's birthday.
5. Where does Ye Ye go every morning at eight o'clock?
(a) To prayer.
(b) To the local restaurant for breakfast with his friend.
(c) To Adeline's room to wake her up.
(d) To the living room to read the newspapers.
6. Who nearly plays a trick on Ye Ye?
(a) Third Brother.
(b) Second Brother.
(c) Little Sister.
(d) Fourth Brother.
7. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
(a) That she had never returned home.
(b) That she could run away.
(c) That she would be Jackie and Jackie would be her.
(d) That she would be adopted by Wu Chen-mei's family.
8. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
9. Why does Adeline believe she wins the class presidency?
(a) Because Wu Chun-mei pays the other girls to vote for Adeline.
(b) Due to Wu Chun-mei's popularity.
(c) Because the other rival is too unorganized.
(d) Because the other rival quit.
10. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Ye Ye.
11. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
(a) Her favorite pet and her birthday.
(b) Her favorite pet and her Chinese name.
(c) Her birthday and her age.
(d) Her Chinese name and her birthday.
12. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
(b) No one.
(c) Big Sister.
13. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
(a) A bracelet made of antique imperial green jade.
(b) A pendant made of antique imperial green jade.
(c) A hairclip made of antique imperial green jade.
(d) A ring made of antique imperial green jade.
14. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
(a) The sun-filled deck.
(b) Their cabin.
(c) The library.
(d) The dining room with all the delicious food choices.
15. Who does Adeline talk with after seeing Cook?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Aunt Baba.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adeline have to leave?
2. What animal is Wu Chen-mei about to receive?
3. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
4. Which one of these people is not on the journey to Hong Kong?
5. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)