|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
(a) Slips her notes of encouragement under the door.
(b) Taunts her outside her door.
(c) Laughs and eats her piece of cake as she watches.
(d) Feeds leftovers from his afternoon tea to Jackie.
2. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
(b) Aunt Baba.
(d) Nancy Chen and her mother.
3. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
(a) To have a letter addressed to her, from anyone.
(b) To never return to her family again.
(c) To escape to America.
(d) To speak English as well as an American.
4. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
(a) Thirteen years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Eight years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
5. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
(a) No one.
(c) Wu Chen-mei.
6. What does Aunt Reine surprise the family with when she arrives?
(a) She wants to adopt Adeline.
(b) She is moving in with them.
(c) She cuts diamonds from her coat buttons.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
(a) A pendant made of antique imperial green jade.
(b) A bracelet made of antique imperial green jade.
(c) A hairclip made of antique imperial green jade.
(d) A ring made of antique imperial green jade.
8. Why is their election unusual?
(a) It is the first year they have permitted a class president.
(b) They are only allowed to have an election once every five years.
(c) They are permitted to elect their president democratically as in the United States of America.
(d) They will only allow a girl to win.
9. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
(a) They escape the Communists and leave Tianjin.
(b) They are kidnapped by the Communists.
(c) They are imprisoned by the Communists.
(d) They run away from the school.
10. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
(a) A piece of French toast.
(b) An apple.
(c) An egg.
(d) A croissant.
11. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
(a) Her favorite pet and her Chinese name.
(b) Her Chinese name and her birthday.
(c) Her favorite pet and her birthday.
(d) Her birthday and her age.
12. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
(a) The backyard.
(b) The Holy of Holies.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) Ye Ye's room.
13. Where is Adeline dropped off by Niang and Fourth Brother?
(a) The Hong Kong School for Homeless Children.
(b) The Hong Kong School for the Gifted.
(c) The Sacred Heart School and Orphanage.
(d) The Sacred Blessings Orphanage.
14. To whom will Big Sister be married?
(a) Niang's former math teacher.
(b) Dr. Lui, a business associate of her Father's.
(c) Dr. Sung's son, Samuel.
(d) Someone from their church.
15. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That she refuses to lead her class.
(b) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
(c) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(d) That her mother is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
2. What does Big Sister do to keep her gift from Grand Aunt?
3. Who meets them at the airport?
4. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
5. Who is the only person to greet Adeline?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)