|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
(b) Big Sister.
(c) No one.
2. When do Niang's plans for Big Sister come to light?
(a) On Adeline's birthday.
(b) On Big Sister's birthday.
(c) On her future husband's birthday.
(d) Chinese New Year 1948.
3. How does Adeline sneak over to Wu Chun-mei's house?
(a) There is a school holiday and she pretends to go to school, but goes to Wu Chen-mei's house instead.
(b) She skips school.
(c) She feigns sickness and leaves school to go to Wu Chen-mei's house instead.
(d) She sneaks out of the house without Niang seeing her.
4. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) A small paper bird.
(b) A poem.
(c) Her phone number.
(d) A hug.
5. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
(a) A hairclip made of antique imperial green jade.
(b) A bracelet made of antique imperial green jade.
(c) A pendant made of antique imperial green jade.
(d) A ring made of antique imperial green jade.
6. Why is Adeline suddenly panic-stricken when Ah Sun knocks on her door?
(a) There has been an accident with her Father.
(b) Ah Sun warns her that Niang is about to take her out of school and send her far away.
(c) She warns Adeline that Niang has discovered that she won the class presidency.
(d) Her friends from school are downstairs asking for her and Niang and her Father are home.
7. What is the one thing Adeline wishes would come true?
(a) To have a letter addressed to her, from anyone.
(b) To speak English as well as an American.
(c) To never return to her family again.
(d) To escape to America.
8. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
(b) That she refuses to lead her class.
(c) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(d) That her mother is dead.
9. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
(a) She wants to give Adeline her old clothes.
(b) She is having a birthday party.
(c) She has never had a friend over before and wants Adeline to be the first one.
(d) She wants her to run away from her house.
10. How does Adeline feel after winning the class presidency?
(a) Terrified that Niang will find out.
(b) Hopeful that she can now get a scholarship and leave.
(c) On top of the world.
(d) Angry that she will have more responsibilities now.
11. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
(a) Nancy Chen and her mother.
(c) Aunt Baba.
12. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
(a) A new book.
(b) A piece of birthday cake.
(c) The silver coin from Aunt Baba.
(d) A new doll.
13. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
14. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
(a) An apple.
(b) A croissant.
(c) A piece of French toast.
(d) An egg.
15. What does Ye Ye want from Adeline?
(a) To pay back the money he gave her.
(b) A foot massage.
(c) To grow up differently from Big Sister.
(d) To confront Niang about her cruelty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
2. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
3. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
4. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
5. Where does Ye Ye go every morning at eight o'clock?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)