|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
(a) She is not as smart as the other girls.
(b) She cannot speak English very well.
(c) Because the older girls are cruel to her.
(d) To punish her.
2. With which book are the children most fascinated?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) The paper cuts book given to Adeline by Mother Marie.
(d) Sinbad the Sailor.
3. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
(a) Hiding under the table.
(b) Hiding under a large chair.
(c) Hiding behind a potted plant.
(d) In the bathroom.
4. What animal is Wu Chen-mei about to receive?
(a) A bird.
(b) A duckling.
(c) A fish.
(d) A pug.
5. Why is the next school day very special?
(a) It is the Chinese New Year.
(b) It is Adeline's birthday.
(c) It is a school holiday.
(d) It is an election day for class president.
6. Who greets Adeline when she awakens?
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Nancy Chen and her mother.
7. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Ye Ye's room.
(c) The backyard.
(d) The Holy of Holies.
8. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
(a) A piece of birthday cake.
(b) The silver coin from Aunt Baba.
(c) A new doll.
(d) A new book.
9. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
(a) By taxi.
(b) By Father's large black Cadillac.
(c) By walking.
(d) By a rickshaw.
10. Of the 1200 students at Sacred Heart, how many are boarders?
(b) Two hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
11. Which one of these things is NOT handed out to the class by Adeline's rival, Chen Lei-lei?
(a) Dragon eyes.
(d) Beef jerky.
12. Why does a classmate mysteriously assign her egg to Adeline?
(a) She wants to make Adeline sick.
(b) She wants to be Adeline's friend.
(c) She feels bad for her.
(d) Her mother sends them to her and she hates eating them, so she gave it to Adeline instead.
13. How does Adeline feel after winning the class presidency?
(a) Hopeful that she can now get a scholarship and leave.
(b) On top of the world.
(c) Terrified that Niang will find out.
(d) Angry that she will have more responsibilities now.
14. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
(a) Adeline finally confesses the truth.
(b) Wu Chen-mei calls the house looking for her.
(c) Niang calls her school.
(d) Big Sister tells Niang the true story.
15. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
2. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
3. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
4. How does Adeline sneak over to Wu Chun-mei's house?
5. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)