|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
(b) No one.
(d) Big Sister.
2. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(d) Ye Ye.
3. What does Aunt Reine surprise the family with when she arrives?
(a) She wants to adopt Adeline.
(b) She is moving in with them.
(c) She cuts diamonds from her coat buttons.
(d) She is pregnant.
4. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Big Sister.
5. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
(a) Taunts her outside her door.
(b) Slips her notes of encouragement under the door.
(c) Laughs and eats her piece of cake as she watches.
(d) Feeds leftovers from his afternoon tea to Jackie.
6. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
(a) That they will remain best friends forever.
(b) That they will get away, stand on their own two feet and create their own destiny.
(c) That they will escape to America together.
(d) That they will remain in Hong Kong forever.
7. What is Adeline supposed to be afraid of?
(a) Being left alone.
(b) The Communists coming into Tianjin and persecuting everyone at the school.
(c) Being left behind by her parents.
(d) Being attacked by the nuns in the school.
8. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
(a) A croissant.
(b) A piece of French toast.
(c) An apple.
(d) An egg.
9. What does Ye Ye want from Adeline?
(a) To grow up differently from Big Sister.
(b) A foot massage.
(c) To confront Niang about her cruelty.
(d) To pay back the money he gave her.
10. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
(a) Monica Lim.
11. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
(a) The silver coin from Aunt Baba.
(b) A new doll.
(c) A piece of birthday cake.
(d) A new book.
12. How old is Adeline when she leaves her home and is separated from her Aunt Baba?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Thirteen years old.
(c) Eight years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
13. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
(a) That she would be adopted by Wu Chen-mei's family.
(b) That she could run away.
(c) That she would be Jackie and Jackie would be her.
(d) That she had never returned home.
14. Hong Kong is a ______ colony at the time Adeline lives there.
15. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
(b) That she refuses to lead her class.
(c) That her mother is dead.
(d) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
2. What is Adeline's favorite part of the ship?
3. What do the siblings nickname the room where Little Sister and Fourth Brother live?
4. With which book are the children most fascinated?
5. How does Adeline sneak over to Wu Chun-mei's house?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)