|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
(a) Slips her notes of encouragement under the door.
(b) Feeds leftovers from his afternoon tea to Jackie.
(c) Laughs and eats her piece of cake as she watches.
(d) Taunts her outside her door.
2. What fills Adeline with dread?
(a) That Big Sister might have children.
(b) The idea of marrying someone.
(c) That Big Sister will be leaving.
(d) The idea of being forced into an arranged marriage.
3. Who meets the family at the gangplank?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) No one.
4. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
(a) Ye Ye.
(d) Aunt Baba.
5. Which of these languages is not one of the three languages Ye Ye predicts will be left when all the world languages are distilled into just three?
6. Why is the next school day very special?
(a) It is the Chinese New Year.
(b) It is Adeline's birthday.
(c) It is an election day for class president.
(d) It is a school holiday.
7. What does Adeline wish with all her heart as she stays in her room?
(a) That she would be adopted by Wu Chen-mei's family.
(b) That she could run away.
(c) That she would be Jackie and Jackie would be her.
(d) That she had never returned home.
8. Which one of these things is NOT handed out to the class by Adeline's rival, Chen Lei-lei?
(a) Beef jerky.
(d) Dragon eyes.
9. Who meets them at the airport?
(a) Niang's brother Pierre Prosperi.
(b) Ye Ye.
(c) Big Sister.
(d) Niang's former teacher.
10. How does the family get to the new house in Hong Kong?
(a) By taxi.
(b) By walking.
(c) By Father's large black Cadillac.
(d) By a rickshaw.
11. Who greets her at her door when she returns home?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(c) Big Sister.
12. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) Her phone number.
(b) A hug.
(c) A poem.
(d) A small paper bird.
13. Which one of these people is not on the journey to Hong Kong?
(c) Aunt Reine.
14. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
15. How does Adeline feel after winning the class presidency?
(a) On top of the world.
(b) Angry that she will have more responsibilities now.
(c) Terrified that Niang will find out.
(d) Hopeful that she can now get a scholarship and leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
2. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
3. Why does a classmate mysteriously assign her egg to Adeline?
4. What happens to the other students at St. Joseph's?
5. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)