|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
(a) One hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Three hundred.
2. Who nearly plays a trick on Ye Ye?
(a) Third Brother.
(b) Second Brother.
(c) Fourth Brother.
(d) Little Sister.
3. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(b) That she refuses to lead her class.
(c) That her mother is dead.
(d) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
4. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
5. What book is Adeline reading when she is surprised by her classmate and her mother in the library?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) King Lear.
6. Which one of these things is NOT handed out to the class by Adeline's rival, Chen Lei-lei?
(b) Beef jerky.
(c) Dragon eyes.
7. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
(d) Monica Lim.
8. What food does Adeline long for, but rejects as a mistake when she receives it?
(a) An apple.
(b) An egg.
(c) A piece of French toast.
(d) A croissant.
9. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
(a) A new book.
(b) A new doll.
(c) A piece of birthday cake.
(d) The silver coin from Aunt Baba.
10. What does Fourth Brother do while Adeline is stuck in her room?
(a) Feeds leftovers from his afternoon tea to Jackie.
(b) Taunts her outside her door.
(c) Slips her notes of encouragement under the door.
(d) Laughs and eats her piece of cake as she watches.
11. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
(a) Because the older girls are cruel to her.
(b) To punish her.
(c) She cannot speak English very well.
(d) She is not as smart as the other girls.
12. How old is Big Sister when she is married?
13. Who is the only person to greet Adeline?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Ye Ye.
(c) Little Sister.
14. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) Her phone number.
(b) A poem.
(c) A small paper bird.
(d) A hug.
15. What is the name of the ship they are sailing on?
(a) Evening Sun.
(b) China Hope.
(c) Evening Star.
(d) China Star.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adeline feel after winning the class presidency?
2. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
3. Where is Adeline when she overhears Niang and Grand Aunt talking?
4. What two things does Father forget about Adeline?
5. Who does Adeline talk with after seeing Cook?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)