|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a classmate mysteriously assign her egg to Adeline?
(a) She wants to make Adeline sick.
(b) She wants to be Adeline's friend.
(c) Her mother sends them to her and she hates eating them, so she gave it to Adeline instead.
(d) She feels bad for her.
2. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
(a) That Wu Chen-mei should really be the president.
(b) That her mother is dead.
(c) That she refuses to lead her class.
(d) That she comes from an abusive, broken family.
3. Who discovers that Niang learns about the gift that Big Sister is hiding from her?
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Little Sister.
(d) Big Sister.
4. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
(a) English and Chinese.
(b) English and Spanish.
(c) French and Chinese.
(d) French and English.
5. Who is the most popular girl in school for her wealth and brains?
(a) Monica Lim.
6. Who meets them at the airport?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Niang's former teacher.
(c) Ye Ye.
(d) Niang's brother Pierre Prosperi.
7. How does Niang discover Adeline's lie?
(a) Big Sister tells Niang the true story.
(b) Adeline finally confesses the truth.
(c) Wu Chen-mei calls the house looking for her.
(d) Niang calls her school.
8. Who sleeps in the bed next to Adeline at her new location?
(c) Wu Chen-mei.
(d) No one.
9. Which one of these things is NOT handed out to the class by Adeline's rival, Chen Lei-lei?
(b) Beef jerky.
(c) Dragon eyes.
10. What does Adeline give Wu Chen-mei before she leaves?
(a) A poem.
(b) A hug.
(c) A small paper bird.
(d) Her phone number.
11. Who does Adeline talk with after seeing Cook?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Big Sister.
12. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
(a) They give it to the boy, Victor.
(b) They let the oldest child, Victor, have it.
(c) They play rocks, paper, scissors.
(d) They draw lots.
13. Who is the first person at home who Adeline tells of her victory?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Ye Ye.
14. What fills Adeline with dread?
(a) The idea of being forced into an arranged marriage.
(b) That Big Sister will be leaving.
(c) The idea of marrying someone.
(d) That Big Sister might have children.
15. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
(a) That they will get away, stand on their own two feet and create their own destiny.
(b) That they will remain best friends forever.
(c) That they will remain in Hong Kong forever.
(d) That they will escape to America together.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people attend Big Sister's wedding?
2. Why does Wu Chun-mei beg Adeline to come to her house?
3. What plans does Niang have for Big Sister?
4. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
5. Why is their election unusual?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)