|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ye Ye go every morning at eight o'clock?
(a) To prayer.
(b) To Adeline's room to wake her up.
(c) To the local restaurant for breakfast with his friend.
(d) To the living room to read the newspapers.
2. What does Adeline do during a reading of King Lear in class?
(a) She falls asleep.
(b) She screams and runs out of the room.
(c) She bursts out crying.
(d) She plugs her ears and begins to hum.
3. Who meets them at the airport?
(a) Niang's former teacher.
(b) Ye Ye.
(c) Niang's brother Pierre Prosperi.
(d) Big Sister.
4. What does Father tell her when he returns home?
(a) That she can return to Wu Chen-mei's house.
(b) That she is worthless.
(c) That she is no longer allowed in their home.
(d) That she and Aunt Baba will have to be separated.
5. Which of these languages is not one of the three languages Ye Ye predicts will be left when all the world languages are distilled into just three?
6. What pact do Adeline and her two friends make to each other?
(a) That they will remain best friends forever.
(b) That they will remain in Hong Kong forever.
(c) That they will escape to America together.
(d) That they will get away, stand on their own two feet and create their own destiny.
7. Who discovers that Niang learns about the gift that Big Sister is hiding from her?
(a) Big Sister.
(c) Little Sister.
(d) Aunt Baba.
8. Why is Adeline put in classes with younger students?
(a) Because the older girls are cruel to her.
(b) To punish her.
(c) She is not as smart as the other girls.
(d) She cannot speak English very well.
9. What fills Adeline with dread?
(a) The idea of being forced into an arranged marriage.
(b) That Big Sister might have children.
(c) That Big Sister will be leaving.
(d) The idea of marrying someone.
10. What does Niang find in her pocket when she returns?
(a) A new doll.
(b) A piece of birthday cake.
(c) The silver coin from Aunt Baba.
(d) A new book.
11. What does Big Sister receive from her Grand Aunt?
(a) A bracelet made of antique imperial green jade.
(b) A hairclip made of antique imperial green jade.
(c) A pendant made of antique imperial green jade.
(d) A ring made of antique imperial green jade.
12. How does the family decide which child will sleep on the cot?
(a) They let the oldest child, Victor, have it.
(b) They play rocks, paper, scissors.
(c) They give it to the boy, Victor.
(d) They draw lots.
13. Who does Adeline eat dinner with on Christmas Day?
(a) No one.
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) Nancy Chen.
(d) Mother Natalie.
14. To whom will Big Sister be married?
(a) Someone from their church.
(b) Niang's former math teacher.
(c) Dr. Lui, a business associate of her Father's.
(d) Dr. Sung's son, Samuel.
15. Of the 1200 students at Sacred Heart, how many are boarders?
(a) Five hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Shillings travel after they leave Hong Kong?
2. Which languages are highlighted in Hong Kong?
3. How much older is Big Sister's future husband than she?
4. Where is Adeline brought to when her friends are downstairs?
5. What surprise does Adeline make in her speech?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)