|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Little Sister prefer when she arrives in Shanghai?
(a) Third Brother.
(b) Aunt Baba.
2. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
(a) Second Brother.
(c) Big Sister.
(d) Third Brother.
3. What does Big Sister suggest after hearing Third Brother's revelation?
(a) To run away.
(b) To confront Niang and their Father simultaneously.
(c) To deny everything.
(d) To confront Niang.
4. How long is Adeline allowed to wear her medal?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Four days.
5. How long has Adeline been in school at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
6. How does Adeline remember her telephone number?
(a) She has a small copy of it in her pocket.
(b) She writes it on her hand.
(c) She copies it into her notebook each evening.
(d) Through a numbers game she plays with Big Brother.
7. Why are the siblings mad about their new gift?
(a) They complain there is obvious inequality shown between the children.
(b) They didn't want anything from Niang.
(c) They cannot actually have the gifts until Father sees their report cards.
(d) They wanted more.
8. How long have bound feet been a tradition in China?
(a) For twenty years.
(b) For over a thousand years.
(c) For a hundred years.
(d) For two hundred years.
9. Who picks Adeline up from school after her first day?
(a) Second Brother.
(b) Big Sister.
(c) No one.
10. How long ago has the custom of bound feet been abandoned by the time Grandmother Ye Ye talks with Adeline?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifty years.
(d) Ten years.
11. Where is the train headed?
(a) To Beijing.
(b) To Shanghai.
(c) To Hong Kong.
(d) To Hanoi.
12. What do the children receive for the Chinese New Year?
(a) A puppy.
(b) New books.
(d) New clothes.
13. What does Aunt Baba notice about Adeline as soon as she gets home from school?
(a) She has a silver medal dangling from her uniform.
(b) She has torn her dress, which will infuriate her stepmother.
(c) She has gotten into a fight.
(d) She cut her hair.
14. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
(a) Her father tells her this.
(b) She has no friends in the new city.
(c) No one realized she hadn't returned home from school.
(d) Her Aunt Baba warns her of this.
15. What makes Father and Niang immediately angry in relation to the children's school?
(a) The school has kicked the children out.
(b) They need new uniforms.
(c) Ye Ye has been giving them tram fare without their knowledge so they wouldn't have to walk every day.
(d) The school has increased its tuition.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adeline describe her little sister when she arrives in Shanghai?
2. What injury does Big Sister have?
3. What does Little Sister dump all over the floor in defiance of her mother?
4. Who comes to visit the family after Father and Niang return from Tianjin?
5. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)