|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Adeline to bury PLT?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Aunt Baba.
(d) Third Brother.
2. What is Adeline's favorite fruit?
(b) Dragon's eyes.
3. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
4. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Third Brother.
(c) Second Brother.
5. How long ago has the custom of bound feet been abandoned by the time Grandmother Ye Ye talks with Adeline?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Fifty years.
6. How does Adeline describe her little sister when she arrives in Shanghai?
(a) Like a big doll with large, round eyes and chubby pink cheeks.
(b) Like a smaller version of Niang, holding her head high and walking slowly
(c) Like an awkward toddler, racing from one place to another.
(d) Like an annoying pest, spoiled to the core.
7. Which of these adjectives does NOT describe Big Sister and Adeline's haircuts?
8. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
(a) To clean the house and cook for the family.
(b) A job.
(c) Perfect grades.
(d) A sincere apology, admitting they have been wrong to get money from Ye Ye.
9. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline and her siblings after Nai Nai's death?
(a) To a convent.
(b) To the railroad station.
(c) To a boarding school.
(d) To the beach.
10. How long is Adeline allowed to wear her medal?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) One day.
11. How long after Adeline's mother dies does her father remarry?
(a) Two years.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) Two months.
12. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
(a) New shoes.
(b) New eyeglasses.
(c) School books.
(d) Identical, loose-fitting long Chinese gowns.
13. Why does Father want to test Jackie?
(a) To prove that the dog is smart.
(b) To see if his expensive training is working.
(c) To punish Adeline.
(d) To see if he is a violent dog.
14. Where does Aunt Baba place treasured items?
(a) In a secret compartment in the closet.
(b) In her safe-deposit box.
(c) Behind a clock on the wall.
(d) Under her mattress.
15. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
(a) A glass shop.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A brothel.
(d) A friend's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to get Adeline after she is lost after school?
2. What does Adeline's family call her?
3. Why are the brothers' haircuts much worse than the sisters'?
4. What is the name of the dog that greets the children and what type of dog is he?
5. Niang is half Chinese and half __________.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)