|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which floor is where Father, Niang and her two children have their rooms?
(a) The fourth floor.
(b) The first floor.
(c) The third floor.
(d) The second floor.
2. What color are Niang's nails when she points at Adeline, threatening to never forgive her for her arrogance?
(a) Hot pink.
3. What does Big Brother try to teach Adeline to do, but no matter how hard she tries, she fails?
(b) Sing a complicated tune.
(d) Snap her fingers.
4. Why is Grandmother Nai Nai in pain at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) She has broken her arm.
(b) Her feet were bound as a child, causing her never-ending pain.
(c) She has broken her back.
(d) She has broken her hip.
5. What does Aunt Baba request from Father and Niang?
(a) To go to work as a bank teller.
(b) To get married.
(c) To get a new wardrobe.
(d) To leave Shanghai.
6. Which of these adjectives does NOT describe Big Sister and Adeline's haircuts?
7. What is the name of the dog that greets the children and what type of dog is he?
(a) Jackie is a German Shepard.
(b) Jackie is a Doberman Pincher.
(c) Mickey is a Pit Bull.
(d) Jermaine is a German Shepard.
8. What does Big Brother warn Adeline from?
(a) Trusting Big Sister or telling her anything.
(b) That Big Sister is trying to get rid of her.
(c) That Niang is trying to get rid of her.
(d) That her food might be poisoned.
9. What injury does Big Sister have?
(a) She has a clubbed foot.
(b) Her left arm was paralyzed from a birth injury.
(c) She is missing fingers on her left hand.
(d) She is dyslexic.
10. What does Adeline call her duckling?
(a) Lu lu
11. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
(b) Third Brother.
(c) Big Sister.
(d) Second Brother.
12. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
(a) Scream at Niang.
(b) Yell at Little Sister.
(c) Walk out of the room.
13. What grade is Adeline in at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Third grade.
(b) Second grade.
(d) First grade.
14. Why is Adeline considered bad luck by her family?
(a) Because her Mama died giving birth to her and would still be alive otherwise.
(b) Because she is the youngest child of the family.
(c) Because she is a girl.
(d) Because she was born with a mark on her back.
15. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
(a) A sincere apology, admitting they have been wrong to get money from Ye Ye.
(b) To clean the house and cook for the family.
(c) Perfect grades.
(d) A job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Adeline's mother die?
2. How does Second Brother react to Adeline's medal?
3. Why is Third Brother not traveling with them?
4. What does Big Sister suggest after hearing Third Brother's revelation?
5. Who does Adeline sit between at the dinner table in her assigned position?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)