|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away from Adeline's home is her school in Shanghai?
(a) A mile and a half.
(b) Five hundred feet away.
(c) Two miles.
(d) A mile away.
2. What do the children refer to the floor where Father, Niang, Fourth Brother and Little Sister live?
(a) The Holy of Holies.
(b) The Sacred Dominion.
(c) The Kingdom.
3. Who is the only person who cannot give in to beg for tram fare from Niang?
(a) Second Brother.
(b) Third Brother.
(d) Big Sister.
4. What does Big Brother try to teach Adeline to do, but no matter how hard she tries, she fails?
(b) Sing a complicated tune.
(d) Snap her fingers.
5. What is next to Adeline's school?
(a) Big Sister's school.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A fish market.
(d) A convent.
6. Who does Adeline sit between at the dinner table in her assigned position?
(a) Third Brother and Big Sister.
(b) Second Brother and Third Brother.
(c) Third Brother and Fourth Brother.
(d) Big Sister and Little Sister.
7. What does Little Sister break during the chaos?
(a) Niang's favorite china vase.
(b) Niang's pearl necklace.
(c) Her arm.
(d) The heirloom candy dish.
8. How does Niang react when her daughter breaks the item?
(a) She starts to slap and hit her daughter violently.
(b) She sends Little Sister to her room.
(c) She calmly picks up the pieces and walks away.
(d) She tells Aunt Baba that it is all her fault.
9. What does Little Sister dump all over the floor in defiance of her mother?
(a) Her dinner plate.
(b) The candy dish.
(c) Her mother's gift of new jewelry.
(d) Her new clothes.
10. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
(a) Yell at Little Sister.
(c) Scream at Niang.
(d) Walk out of the room.
11. What changes about Big Sister after her move?
(a) She becomes best friends with Miss Chien and Niang.
(b) She never stops crying.
(c) She often races back up to be with her siblings.
(d) She stops eating and loses weight drastically.
12. What happens to Adeline as she is eating her fruit?
(a) Her stepmother begins to scream at her.
(b) Big Sister reaches out and slaps her.
(c) She begins to choke.
(d) Her father singles her out for the first time.
13. Why did mothers bind their little girls' feet?
(a) They thought women shouldn't walk.
(b) No man would marry a woman with large, unbound feet.
(c) They didn't think women should have feet.
(d) They thought it was better for their health.
14. Why does Adeline leave her school alone after it is over for the day?
(a) She fears walking home with Big Sister.
(b) She wants to prove she is independent.
(c) She thinks she can make the walk by herself and rejects her family members.
(d) She is too embarrassed to ask for help.
15. Who helps Adeline to bury PLT?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Big Sister.
(d) Third Brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Adeline and her siblings during their surprise outing?
2. What is the name of the new tutor-nanny who gives Big Sister the creeps?
3. What does Niang do after overhearing the conspiracy between the siblings?
4. How long is Adeline allowed to wear her medal?
5. What grade is Adeline in at the start of Chapter 1?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)