|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have bound feet been a tradition in China?
(a) For twenty years.
(b) For over a thousand years.
(c) For two hundred years.
(d) For a hundred years.
2. How does Adeline describe her little sister when she arrives in Shanghai?
(a) Like an awkward toddler, racing from one place to another.
(b) Like a smaller version of Niang, holding her head high and walking slowly
(c) Like an annoying pest, spoiled to the core.
(d) Like a big doll with large, round eyes and chubby pink cheeks.
3. What does Little Sister break during the chaos?
(a) Her arm.
(b) The heirloom candy dish.
(c) Niang's pearl necklace.
(d) Niang's favorite china vase.
4. How many fruit pieces does Adeline receive?
5. How does Niang react when her daughter breaks the item?
(a) She sends Little Sister to her room.
(b) She starts to slap and hit her daughter violently.
(c) She tells Aunt Baba that it is all her fault.
(d) She calmly picks up the pieces and walks away.
6. How long after Adeline's mother dies does her father remarry?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Two years.
7. Niang is half Chinese and half __________.
8. What do the children refer to the floor where Father, Niang, Fourth Brother and Little Sister live?
(b) The Holy of Holies.
(c) The Kingdom.
(d) The Sacred Dominion.
9. What does Adeline's father give her after she gets lost?
(a) A spanking.
(b) A map.
(c) A flashlight.
(d) A compass.
10. How long ago has the custom of bound feet been abandoned by the time Grandmother Ye Ye talks with Adeline?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
11. What does Niang do after overhearing the conspiracy between the siblings?
(a) She sends all of the children away.
(b) She moves Big Sister to the second floor.
(c) She calls them all liars in front of their Father that night at dinner.
(d) She sends Adeline to a convent.
12. What is the name of Adeline's new school in Shanghai?
(a) Sacred Heart.
(b) Sacred Blessed Souls.
(c) Cardinal Gibbons.
(d) Our Mother of Mary.
13. What does Big Brother try to teach Adeline to do, but no matter how hard she tries, she fails?
(a) Sing a complicated tune.
(d) Snap her fingers.
14. How long have Father, Niang and Fourth Brother been living in Shanghai before the surprise outing?
(a) Three months.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three weeks.
15. Who greets Adeline and her siblings during their surprise outing?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Their father.
(d) Their mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
2. Which family member does Adeline share a room with?
3. What does Aunt Baba request from Father and Niang?
4. How did Adeline's mother die?
5. What is Adeline's favorite fruit?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)