|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other siblings does Adeline have at the time of her mother's death?
2. How does Adeline react when PLT is killed?
(a) She screams at Father and Jackie.
(b) She refuses to eat.
(c) She slaps and punches Big Brother for choosing her duckling.
(d) She picks up the duckling and sleeps with it in her bed all night.
3. What does Adeline call her duckling?
(d) Lu lu
4. How does Niang react when her daughter breaks the item?
(a) She sends Little Sister to her room.
(b) She tells Aunt Baba that it is all her fault.
(c) She starts to slap and hit her daughter violently.
(d) She calmly picks up the pieces and walks away.
5. What happens to Adeline as she is eating her fruit?
(a) Her stepmother begins to scream at her.
(b) She begins to choke.
(c) Big Sister reaches out and slaps her.
(d) Her father singles her out for the first time.
6. What does Aunt Baba request from Father and Niang?
(a) To leave Shanghai.
(b) To get a new wardrobe.
(c) To go to work as a bank teller.
(d) To get married.
7. What do the Huangs bring the children?
(a) New notebooks.
(b) New pencils.
(c) Seven baby ducklings.
8. Who comes to get Adeline after she is lost after school?
(a) Second Brother.
(b) Big Sister.
(c) Her father.
9. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Grandmother Nai Nai.
(c) Grandfather Ye Ye.
(d) Aunt Reine.
10. Which floor is where Father, Niang and her two children have their rooms?
(a) The second floor.
(b) The third floor.
(c) The first floor.
(d) The fourth floor.
11. Why is Adeline considered bad luck by her family?
(a) Because she is a girl.
(b) Because she is the youngest child of the family.
(c) Because her Mama died giving birth to her and would still be alive otherwise.
(d) Because she was born with a mark on her back.
12. Why does Father want to test Jackie?
(a) To see if his expensive training is working.
(b) To prove that the dog is smart.
(c) To see if he is a violent dog.
(d) To punish Adeline.
13. Years earlier, which war had China lost?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Indian-Chinese war.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Opium War.
14. Why does Big Brother choose PLT over the other ducklings?
(a) Because he hates Adeline.
(b) Because it was the fastest.
(c) Because Adeline is the least likely to give him trouble afterwards.
(d) Because it was the smallest.
15. What is next to Adeline's school?
(a) A fish market.
(b) A convent.
(c) An orphanage.
(d) Big Sister's school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Little Sister prefer when she arrives in Shanghai?
2. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
3. What makes Father and Niang immediately angry in relation to the children's school?
4. What does Big Brother suggest they do with PLT instead of burying it?
5. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)