|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many fruit pieces does Adeline receive?
2. Years earlier, which war had China lost?
(a) The Opium War.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Indian-Chinese war.
3. How long ago has the custom of bound feet been abandoned by the time Grandmother Ye Ye talks with Adeline?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
4. What does Aunt Baba request from Father and Niang?
(a) To get a new wardrobe.
(b) To get married.
(c) To go to work as a bank teller.
(d) To leave Shanghai.
5. Which one of these words does NOT describe Adeline's new home in Shanghai?
6. How old is Adeline's stepmother, Niang, when she marries Adeline's father?
7. Why are the brothers' haircuts much worse than the sisters'?
(a) They have to wear it in the military style.
(b) They are shaved bald in the style of Buddhist Monks.
(c) They are forced to have long, curly locks.
(d) They are forced to grow a ponytail.
8. What makes Father and Niang immediately angry in relation to the children's school?
(a) The school has kicked the children out.
(b) The school has increased its tuition.
(c) Ye Ye has been giving them tram fare without their knowledge so they wouldn't have to walk every day.
(d) They need new uniforms.
9. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
(a) School books.
(b) New shoes.
(c) New eyeglasses.
(d) Identical, loose-fitting long Chinese gowns.
10. What does Little Sister dump all over the floor in defiance of her mother?
(a) Her new clothes.
(b) The candy dish.
(c) Her dinner plate.
(d) Her mother's gift of new jewelry.
11. Why does Adeline leave her school alone after it is over for the day?
(a) She thinks she can make the walk by herself and rejects her family members.
(b) She is too embarrassed to ask for help.
(c) She fears walking home with Big Sister.
(d) She wants to prove she is independent.
12. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Aunt Reine.
(c) Grandfather Ye Ye.
(d) Grandmother Nai Nai.
13. Why does Big Brother choose PLT over the other ducklings?
(a) Because it was the fastest.
(b) Because he hates Adeline.
(c) Because Adeline is the least likely to give him trouble afterwards.
(d) Because it was the smallest.
14. How does Adeline react when PLT is killed?
(a) She slaps and punches Big Brother for choosing her duckling.
(b) She refuses to eat.
(c) She screams at Father and Jackie.
(d) She picks up the duckling and sleeps with it in her bed all night.
15. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
(a) Walk out of the room.
(c) Yell at Little Sister.
(d) Scream at Niang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Huangs bring the children?
2. How old was Little Sister the last time she saw Niang?
3. What is next to Adeline's school?
4. What does Adeline's family call her?
5. What does Aunt Baba notice about Adeline as soon as she gets home from school?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)