|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Adeline describe her little sister when she arrives in Shanghai?
(a) Like a big doll with large, round eyes and chubby pink cheeks.
(b) Like a smaller version of Niang, holding her head high and walking slowly
(c) Like an awkward toddler, racing from one place to another.
(d) Like an annoying pest, spoiled to the core.
2. Why does Big Brother choose PLT over the other ducklings?
(a) Because he hates Adeline.
(b) Because Adeline is the least likely to give him trouble afterwards.
(c) Because it was the fastest.
(d) Because it was the smallest.
3. What injury does Big Sister have?
(a) Her left arm was paralyzed from a birth injury.
(b) She has a clubbed foot.
(c) She is missing fingers on her left hand.
(d) She is dyslexic.
4. Who gives Adeline and her siblings money for school initially?
(c) Ye Ye.
(d) Aunt Reine.
5. What does Big Brother warn Adeline from?
(a) Trusting Big Sister or telling her anything.
(b) That Niang is trying to get rid of her.
(c) That Big Sister is trying to get rid of her.
(d) That her food might be poisoned.
6. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A brothel.
(c) A friend's home.
(d) A glass shop.
7. How long after Adeline's mother dies does her father remarry?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two months.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
8. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
(a) That she is crippled.
(b) That she favors him above the others.
(c) That she is having an affair.
(d) That she overheard their entire plan to write the letter to Father.
9. Other than Chinese, which language is favored by the people in Adeline's town?
10. What do the children receive for the Chinese New Year?
(b) A puppy.
(c) New books.
(d) New clothes.
11. Who does Niang favor among her stepchildren?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Second Brother.
(d) Third Brother.
12. What does Big Sister suggest after hearing Third Brother's revelation?
(a) To run away.
(b) To deny everything.
(c) To confront Niang and their Father simultaneously.
(d) To confront Niang.
13. Who greets them as they walk into their new home?
(a) Grandfather Ye Ye.
(b) Aunt Reine.
(c) Big Sister.
14. How long have bound feet been a tradition in China?
(a) For twenty years.
(b) For over a thousand years.
(c) For two hundred years.
(d) For a hundred years.
15. How long have Father, Niang and Fourth Brother been living in Shanghai before the surprise outing?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three years.
(d) A year and a half.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adeline's relationship with PLT startle Aunt Baba?
2. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
3. Who picks Adeline up from school after her first day?
4. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive her for?
5. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)