|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have bound feet been a tradition in China?
(a) For a hundred years.
(b) For over a thousand years.
(c) For two hundred years.
(d) For twenty years.
2. What does Third Brother tell his siblings about Niang?
(a) That she is having an affair.
(b) That she favors him above the others.
(c) That she overheard their entire plan to write the letter to Father.
(d) That she is crippled.
3. Why are the siblings mad about their new gift?
(a) They complain there is obvious inequality shown between the children.
(b) They didn't want anything from Niang.
(c) They wanted more.
(d) They cannot actually have the gifts until Father sees their report cards.
4. How long after Adeline's mother dies does her father remarry?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
5. Who kills PLT?
(a) Third Brother.
(d) Big Sister.
6. Who does Adeline sit between at the dinner table in her assigned position?
(a) Third Brother and Fourth Brother.
(b) Second Brother and Third Brother.
(c) Big Sister and Little Sister.
(d) Third Brother and Big Sister.
7. What does Big Brother suggest they do with PLT instead of burying it?
(a) Put it in the trash can.
(b) Plant it under the roses for fertilizer.
(c) Stew it for breakfast.
(d) Feed it to Jackie.
8. Who picks Adeline up from school after her first day?
(a) No one.
(b) Big Sister.
(c) Second Brother.
9. How does Niang react when her daughter breaks the item?
(a) She starts to slap and hit her daughter violently.
(b) She sends Little Sister to her room.
(c) She tells Aunt Baba that it is all her fault.
(d) She calmly picks up the pieces and walks away.
10. How long have Father, Niang and Fourth Brother been living in Shanghai before the surprise outing?
(a) A year and a half.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three years.
11. What do the children refer to the floor where Father, Niang, Fourth Brother and Little Sister live?
(a) The Sacred Dominion.
(b) The Kingdom.
(d) The Holy of Holies.
12. Why does Adeline leave her school alone after it is over for the day?
(a) She thinks she can make the walk by herself and rejects her family members.
(b) She is too embarrassed to ask for help.
(c) She fears walking home with Big Sister.
(d) She wants to prove she is independent.
13. What do the children receive for the Chinese New Year?
(a) New clothes.
(c) A puppy.
(d) New books.
14. What do the Huangs bring the children?
(b) New notebooks.
(c) Seven baby ducklings.
(d) New pencils.
15. What makes Father and Niang immediately angry in relation to the children's school?
(a) The school has increased its tuition.
(b) Ye Ye has been giving them tram fare without their knowledge so they wouldn't have to walk every day.
(c) The school has kicked the children out.
(d) They need new uniforms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Big Brother warn Adeline from?
2. What is the name of the dog that greets the children and what type of dog is he?
3. What color are Niang's nails when she points at Adeline, threatening to never forgive her for her arrogance?
4. How does her father react to her medal?
5. Who comes to visit the family after Father and Niang return from Tianjin?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)