|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Adeline sit between at the dinner table in her assigned position?
(a) Big Sister and Little Sister.
(b) Second Brother and Third Brother.
(c) Third Brother and Fourth Brother.
(d) Third Brother and Big Sister.
2. How did Adeline's mother die?
(a) She killed herself shortly after Adeline was born.
(b) She was in a car accident shortly after Adeline was born.
(c) She died in childbirth with Adeline.
(d) She came down with a high fever three days after Adeline was born.
3. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
(a) A sincere apology, admitting they have been wrong to get money from Ye Ye.
(b) To clean the house and cook for the family.
(c) Perfect grades.
(d) A job.
4. What is the name of Adeline's new school in Shanghai?
(a) Sacred Blessed Souls.
(b) Sacred Heart.
(c) Cardinal Gibbons.
(d) Our Mother of Mary.
5. What do the siblings plan to do after they receive their gifts?
(a) Refuse to go to school any longer.
(b) Write a letter in Chinese and send it to their Father in the mail.
(c) Give the gifts back.
(d) Go on a hunger strike.
6. How far away from Adeline's home is her school in Shanghai?
(a) Five hundred feet away.
(b) Two miles.
(c) A mile away.
(d) A mile and a half.
7. How long has Adeline been in school at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) One month.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
8. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Second Brother.
(d) Third Brother.
9. How many fruit pieces does Adeline receive?
10. What does Adeline's family call her?
(a) Adi We Mui
(b) Wu Mei
(c) Ade Me Wui
(d) Mu Wei
11. How does Adeline react when PLT is killed?
(a) She slaps and punches Big Brother for choosing her duckling.
(b) She refuses to eat.
(c) She picks up the duckling and sleeps with it in her bed all night.
(d) She screams at Father and Jackie.
12. What does Big Sister suggest after hearing Third Brother's revelation?
(a) To deny everything.
(b) To confront Niang and their Father simultaneously.
(c) To run away.
(d) To confront Niang.
13. What do the Huangs bring the children?
(a) New notebooks.
(b) New pencils.
(d) Seven baby ducklings.
14. Where does Aunt Baba place treasured items?
(a) In her safe-deposit box.
(b) Behind a clock on the wall.
(c) Under her mattress.
(d) In a secret compartment in the closet.
15. Where do Adeline and her family live at the start of the novel?
(b) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Niang's nails when she points at Adeline, threatening to never forgive her for her arrogance?
2. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
3. Why does Adeline not like to sit next to Second Brother?
4. Other than Chinese, which language is favored by the people in Adeline's town?
5. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)