|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who greets them as they walk into their new home?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Aunt Reine.
(d) Grandfather Ye Ye.
2. Who takes Adeline to school on her first day?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) The chaffeuer.
(d) Big Sister.
3. Years earlier, which war had China lost?
(a) The Indian-Chinese war.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Opium War.
4. Why does Father want to test Jackie?
(a) To punish Adeline.
(b) To see if he is a violent dog.
(c) To see if his expensive training is working.
(d) To prove that the dog is smart.
5. Who greets Adeline and her siblings during their surprise outing?
(a) Aunt Baba.
(b) Their father.
(c) Their mother.
6. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive her for?
(a) For asking Niang to stop hitting Little Sister.
(b) For not preventing the break.
(c) For laughing when the item broke.
(d) For not yelling along with the other family members.
7. What does Aunt Baba request from Father and Niang?
(a) To get married.
(b) To get a new wardrobe.
(c) To leave Shanghai.
(d) To go to work as a bank teller.
8. How long have bound feet been a tradition in China?
(a) For two hundred years.
(b) For over a thousand years.
(c) For twenty years.
(d) For a hundred years.
9. What do the children refer to the floor where Father, Niang, Fourth Brother and Little Sister live?
(a) The Holy of Holies.
(b) The Kingdom.
(d) The Sacred Dominion.
10. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
(a) School books.
(b) Identical, loose-fitting long Chinese gowns.
(c) New shoes.
(d) New eyeglasses.
11. Why is Grandmother Nai Nai in pain at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) She has broken her back.
(b) She has broken her arm.
(c) Her feet were bound as a child, causing her never-ending pain.
(d) She has broken her hip.
12. What does Aunt Baba notice about Adeline as soon as she gets home from school?
(a) She cut her hair.
(b) She has torn her dress, which will infuriate her stepmother.
(c) She has a silver medal dangling from her uniform.
(d) She has gotten into a fight.
13. How long have Father, Niang and Fourth Brother been living in Shanghai before the surprise outing?
(a) A year and a half.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
14. What do the children receive for the Chinese New Year?
(a) A puppy.
(b) New books.
(d) New clothes.
15. Which of these adjectives does NOT describe Big Sister and Adeline's haircuts?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other adults do when Niang reacts to her daughter?
2. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
3. What is the name of the new tutor-nanny who gives Big Sister the creeps?
4. What do the Huangs bring the children?
5. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)