|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
(a) Second Brother.
(c) Third Brother.
(d) Big Sister.
2. Where do they bury PLT?
(a) In the corner of the garden.
(b) Under a large rock.
(c) Under a magnolia tree in the backyard.
(d) Under Jackie's food bowls.
3. What is Adeline's favorite fruit?
(c) Dragon's eyes.
4. Who is the only person who cannot give in to beg for tram fare from Niang?
(a) Big Sister.
(c) Third Brother.
(d) Second Brother.
5. How long has Adeline been in school at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) One week.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks.
6. Why does Adeline's relationship with PLT startle Aunt Baba?
(a) She allows the duckling in the house.
(b) She worries for the duckling's safety.
(c) She ignores the duckling completely.
(d) Adeline talks to it as if it were her baby sister.
7. Where is the train headed?
(a) To Hong Kong.
(b) To Hanoi.
(c) To Shanghai.
(d) To Beijing.
8. How old was Grandmother Nai Nai when her feet were bound?
(a) Six years old.
(b) Three years old.
(c) A newborn.
(d) Four years old.
9. Why are the brothers' haircuts much worse than the sisters'?
(a) They have to wear it in the military style.
(b) They are forced to have long, curly locks.
(c) They are shaved bald in the style of Buddhist Monks.
(d) They are forced to grow a ponytail.
10. How does Adeline describe her little sister when she arrives in Shanghai?
(a) Like an awkward toddler, racing from one place to another.
(b) Like a big doll with large, round eyes and chubby pink cheeks.
(c) Like an annoying pest, spoiled to the core.
(d) Like a smaller version of Niang, holding her head high and walking slowly
11. How long is Adeline allowed to wear her medal?
(a) Four days.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
12. How long have Father, Niang and Fourth Brother been living in Shanghai before the surprise outing?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three months.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Three weeks.
13. Which one of these family members does not live with Adeline?
(a) Aunt Reine.
(b) Grandfather Ye Ye.
(c) Aunt Baba.
(d) Grandmother Nai Nai.
14. Where does Ye Ye take Adeline and her siblings after Nai Nai's death?
(a) To the railroad station.
(b) To the beach.
(c) To a convent.
(d) To a boarding school.
15. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
(a) A glass shop.
(b) A brothel.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A friend's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Niang is half Chinese and half __________.
2. Who greets them as they walk into their new home?
3. What is the name of the new tutor-nanny who gives Big Sister the creeps?
4. Which floor is where Father, Niang and her two children have their rooms?
5. What do the Huangs bring the children?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)