|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Huangs bring the children?
(b) New notebooks.
(c) New pencils.
(d) Seven baby ducklings.
2. How many fruit pieces does Adeline receive?
3. How did Adeline's mother die?
(a) She came down with a high fever three days after Adeline was born.
(b) She was in a car accident shortly after Adeline was born.
(c) She died in childbirth with Adeline.
(d) She killed herself shortly after Adeline was born.
4. Why does Adeline not like to sit next to Second Brother?
(a) He kicks and bites her when no one is looking.
(b) He has horrible breath.
(c) He pinches her constantly under the table.
(d) He steals her food when no one is looking and says mean things to her.
5. What does Big Brother warn Adeline from?
(a) That her food might be poisoned.
(b) That Niang is trying to get rid of her.
(c) Trusting Big Sister or telling her anything.
(d) That Big Sister is trying to get rid of her.
6. What does Adeline feed PLT?
(b) Bread crumbs.
(c) Leftovers from her dinner.
(d) Crushed dog food.
7. What does Big Brother suggest they do with PLT instead of burying it?
(a) Feed it to Jackie.
(b) Plant it under the roses for fertilizer.
(c) Put it in the trash can.
(d) Stew it for breakfast.
8. How long have bound feet been a tradition in China?
(a) For two hundred years.
(b) For twenty years.
(c) For over a thousand years.
(d) For a hundred years.
9. How does her father react to her medal?
(a) He accuses her of stealing it.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He teases her and pats her on the head with pride.
(d) He takes it off and throws it in the garbage.
10. Where do they bury PLT?
(a) Under a large rock.
(b) Under a magnolia tree in the backyard.
(c) Under Jackie's food bowls.
(d) In the corner of the garden.
11. How many other siblings does Adeline have at the time of her mother's death?
12. How does Niang react when her daughter breaks the item?
(a) She calmly picks up the pieces and walks away.
(b) She tells Aunt Baba that it is all her fault.
(c) She sends Little Sister to her room.
(d) She starts to slap and hit her daughter violently.
13. How much younger is Niang than Adeline's father?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Fourteen years.
14. What is next to Adeline's school?
(a) A fish market.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) Big Sister's school.
(d) A convent.
15. Why does Adeline leave her school alone after it is over for the day?
(a) She thinks she can make the walk by herself and rejects her family members.
(b) She wants to prove she is independent.
(c) She is too embarrassed to ask for help.
(d) She fears walking home with Big Sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
2. What is the name of the new tutor-nanny who gives Big Sister the creeps?
3. How long have Father, Niang and Fourth Brother been living in Shanghai before the surprise outing?
4. What color are Niang's nails when she points at Adeline, threatening to never forgive her for her arrogance?
5. What does Little Sister dump all over the floor in defiance of her mother?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)