|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Niang demand from the children in exchange for tram fare?
(a) To clean the house and cook for the family.
(b) Perfect grades.
(c) A sincere apology, admitting they have been wrong to get money from Ye Ye.
(d) A job.
2. What does Little Sister break during the chaos?
(a) Her arm.
(b) Niang's pearl necklace.
(c) The heirloom candy dish.
(d) Niang's favorite china vase.
3. How long ago has the custom of bound feet been abandoned by the time Grandmother Ye Ye talks with Adeline?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Fifty years.
4. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) Third Brother.
(d) Second Brother.
5. Who comes to get Adeline after she is lost after school?
(a) Second Brother.
(b) Big Sister.
(d) Her father.
6. How long is Adeline allowed to wear her medal?
(a) Two days.
(b) Seven days.
(c) One day.
(d) Four days.
7. Who comes to visit the family after Father and Niang return from Tianjin?
(a) Their former cook.
(b) The Huangs.
(c) The Stricklands.
(d) The nuns from their old missionary school.
8. Who takes Adeline to school on her first day?
(a) Big Sister.
(b) The chaffeuer.
(d) Aunt Baba.
9. Who gives Adeline and her siblings money for school initially?
(a) Ye Ye.
(c) Aunt Reine.
10. Why does Adeline leave her school alone after it is over for the day?
(a) She fears walking home with Big Sister.
(b) She thinks she can make the walk by herself and rejects her family members.
(c) She is too embarrassed to ask for help.
(d) She wants to prove she is independent.
11. Why is Third Brother not traveling with them?
(a) He is not wanted.
(b) He has the measles.
(c) He is being sent to military school.
(d) He has run away.
12. How does Adeline remember her telephone number?
(a) She copies it into her notebook each evening.
(b) She writes it on her hand.
(c) Through a numbers game she plays with Big Brother.
(d) She has a small copy of it in her pocket.
13. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive her for?
(a) For asking Niang to stop hitting Little Sister.
(b) For laughing when the item broke.
(c) For not preventing the break.
(d) For not yelling along with the other family members.
14. Why is Adeline considered bad luck by her family?
(a) Because she was born with a mark on her back.
(b) Because she is a girl.
(c) Because her Mama died giving birth to her and would still be alive otherwise.
(d) Because she is the youngest child of the family.
15. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
(a) Her Aunt Baba warns her of this.
(b) Her father tells her this.
(c) She has no friends in the new city.
(d) No one realized she hadn't returned home from school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets them as they walk into their new home?
2. What does Little Sister dump all over the floor in defiance of her mother?
3. Why does Adeline not like to sit next to Second Brother?
4. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
5. What does Aunt Baba request from Father and Niang?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)