|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who nearly runs into Niang, listening covertly outside the bedroom door?
(a) Second Brother.
(c) Third Brother.
(d) Big Sister.
2. What happens to Adeline as she is eating her fruit?
(a) Her father singles her out for the first time.
(b) Her stepmother begins to scream at her.
(c) Big Sister reaches out and slaps her.
(d) She begins to choke.
3. Which countries did China fight against?
(a) England and Japan.
(b) Italy and France.
(c) England and France.
(d) France and Japan.
4. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
(a) School books.
(b) Identical, loose-fitting long Chinese gowns.
(c) New shoes.
(d) New eyeglasses.
5. Why are the brothers' haircuts much worse than the sisters'?
(a) They are forced to have long, curly locks.
(b) They have to wear it in the military style.
(c) They are shaved bald in the style of Buddhist Monks.
(d) They are forced to grow a ponytail.
6. What is Adeline's favorite fruit?
(c) Dragon's eyes.
7. Who helps Adeline to bury PLT?
(a) Third Brother.
(c) Aunt Baba.
(d) Big Sister.
8. How long is Adeline allowed to wear her medal?
(a) Two days.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Four days.
(d) One day.
9. What does Adeline's family call her?
(a) Mu Wei
(b) Adi We Mui
(c) Wu Mei
(d) Ade Me Wui
10. Why does Big Brother choose PLT over the other ducklings?
(a) Because Adeline is the least likely to give him trouble afterwards.
(b) Because he hates Adeline.
(c) Because it was the fastest.
(d) Because it was the smallest.
11. What does Big Sister suggest after hearing Third Brother's revelation?
(a) To deny everything.
(b) To confront Niang and their Father simultaneously.
(c) To confront Niang.
(d) To run away.
12. What is the name of Adeline's new school in Shanghai?
(a) Sacred Blessed Souls.
(b) Sacred Heart.
(c) Cardinal Gibbons.
(d) Our Mother of Mary.
13. Why is Grandmother Nai Nai in pain at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) Her feet were bound as a child, causing her never-ending pain.
(b) She has broken her hip.
(c) She has broken her arm.
(d) She has broken her back.
14. How much younger is Niang than Adeline's father?
(a) Seventeen years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Fourteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
15. What do the children refer to the floor where Father, Niang, Fourth Brother and Little Sister live?
(a) The Kingdom.
(c) The Holy of Holies.
(d) The Sacred Dominion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many fruit pieces does Adeline receive?
2. Why does Adeline realize that she is all alone and no one is looking out for her?
3. Where do they bury PLT?
4. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
5. What injury does Big Sister have?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)