|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Adeline describe her little sister when she arrives in Shanghai?
(a) Like a smaller version of Niang, holding her head high and walking slowly
(b) Like an awkward toddler, racing from one place to another.
(c) Like an annoying pest, spoiled to the core.
(d) Like a big doll with large, round eyes and chubby pink cheeks.
2. What do the children receive for the Chinese New Year?
(a) A puppy.
(c) New clothes.
(d) New books.
3. What happens to Adeline as she is eating her fruit?
(a) Her stepmother begins to scream at her.
(b) She begins to choke.
(c) Her father singles her out for the first time.
(d) Big Sister reaches out and slaps her.
4. From where does Adeline call home after getting lost after school?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A glass shop.
(c) A brothel.
(d) A friend's home.
5. How long is Adeline allowed to wear her medal?
(a) Seven days.
(b) One day.
(c) Four days.
(d) Two days.
6. How did Adeline's mother die?
(a) She came down with a high fever three days after Adeline was born.
(b) She was in a car accident shortly after Adeline was born.
(c) She killed herself shortly after Adeline was born.
(d) She died in childbirth with Adeline.
7. Who notices the change in Adeline's uniform first?
(a) Big Sister.
(c) Third Brother.
(d) Second Brother.
8. What does Adeline call her duckling?
(c) Lu lu
9. Why does Big Brother choose PLT over the other ducklings?
(a) Because it was the smallest.
(b) Because Adeline is the least likely to give him trouble afterwards.
(c) Because it was the fastest.
(d) Because he hates Adeline.
10. Why did mothers bind their little girls' feet?
(a) They didn't think women should have feet.
(b) They thought women shouldn't walk.
(c) No man would marry a woman with large, unbound feet.
(d) They thought it was better for their health.
11. What does Aunt Baba request from Father and Niang?
(a) To get married.
(b) To leave Shanghai.
(c) To go to work as a bank teller.
(d) To get a new wardrobe.
12. What injury does Big Sister have?
(a) She is dyslexic.
(b) She has a clubbed foot.
(c) Her left arm was paralyzed from a birth injury.
(d) She is missing fingers on her left hand.
13. Who takes Adeline to school on her first day?
(b) Aunt Baba.
(c) The chaffeuer.
(d) Big Sister.
14. What does Little Sister break during the chaos?
(a) Her arm.
(b) Niang's pearl necklace.
(c) The heirloom candy dish.
(d) Niang's favorite china vase.
15. Niang is half Chinese and half __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the brothers receive for their New Years gift?
2. Where does Aunt Baba place treasured items?
3. What does Adeline do that Niang says she will never forgive her for?
4. What does Adeline's father give her after she gets lost?
5. How does Adeline remember her telephone number?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)