|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Chinese wives most likely afraid of when their husbands left for Gold Mountain?
2. Why does the young man enter the house of the young widow?
3. What does a Chinese bride do for three nights before she marries?
4. Which of the following indicates that "The Ghostmate" is a fantasy?
5. To what does this simile refer: "Sap ran from its cuts like crying blind eyes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bak Goong have so much trouble staying quiet while working in the cane fields?
2. Describe the elements of fantasy Kingston uses to characterize Maui the Trickster in "On Mortality Again."
3. Tell what the Four Valuable Things are and explain their importance to the Chinese culture.
4. Describe the tenets of the philosophy of living multiple lives until you learn an important lesson.
5. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
6. Why would Tang beg to have the bandages replaced tightly after having the them removed from his feet?
7. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
8. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
9. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
10. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify times in Kingston's novel, China Men, when a character's expectations about Gold Mountain are not met. Compare and contrast characters' expectations with the reality they experience in America. Consider the plight of the Sojourners. Why do so many return to China? Why do some stay in America, leaving their families behind in a hostile China?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Kingston makes reference to the different cultures living within China, including the Cantonese, the Han, and later the Mandarin. Explain the references that the author makes to each ethnicity and provide the context in which she is describing it. Which one is Kingston? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the Four Most Valuable Things according to Chinese tradition. Tell why the Chinese valued these things. Cite examples from China Men that illustrate why these items are called the Four Most Valuable Things. Think about four valuable things in modern society. What things would you list as most valuable? How are they similar to and different from the Chinese traditional Four Most Valuable Things?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)