|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which best describes the setting of "On Fathers"?
2. Where does Hina of the night sleep?
3. What two actions result from the Scott Act of 1888?
4. What signed document states that Chinese and Americans could freely travel, trade, and live in either country?
5. Which congressional act in 1882 bans Chinese laborers from entering the U.S. for ten years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bak Goong have so much trouble staying quiet while working in the cane fields?
2. Why would Tang beg to have the bandages replaced tightly after having the them removed from his feet?
3. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
4. Compare and contrast the genre used for "On Discovery" and for "On Fathers."
5. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
6. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
7. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
8. Describe how Kingston feels about her father from China. Use details from the text to support your conclusions.
9. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
10. How do the Chinese workers organize a strike against the railroad company without the "white demons" finding out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Note instances in China Men when Kingston relates events about her Father having nightmares. Identify the family's situation at the time Father is having nightmares. Consider the reasons MaMa gives for Father awakening screaming in the middle of the night. How are the children affected by Father's nightmares? What do the children think is the cause of their Father's bad dreams? What is your opinion about the cause and effects of Father's nightmares?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the meaning of Diaspora. Explain how a Diaspora of the China Men occurred in the United State. Find other examples of Diaspora events in history, such as the Jewish Diaspora of ancient times. Write a persuasive essay that defends or denies the practice of Diaspora. Include details you discovered during your research as well as details from the description of the Driving Out of Chinese immigrants in China Men.
Essay Topic 3
Study the immigration laws currently on the books in the United States. Compare them to "The Laws" the author describes in that chapter. Verify the accuracy of the laws Kingston describes. Note that some of the laws address California immigration, and others were passed by the federal government. How have the laws changed since Kingston wrote this novel in 1977? Do you think the changes have been positive or negative? How do the modern laws affect different people?
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)