|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
2. What part of Tang Ao's wardrobe is shaped like a bridge?
3. Which congressional act in 1882 bans Chinese laborers from entering the U.S. for ten years?
4. What is an immortal?
5. Why is there a communal dining room at the Chinese village where Kingston's ancestors lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
2. Describe the tenets of the philosophy of living multiple lives until you learn an important lesson.
3. Why does Kingston say that MaMa's arrival ends Ed's independent life?
4. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
5. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
6. Explain the Fair Share Refugee Act of 1960.
7. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
8. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
9. Why does Bak Goong have so much trouble staying quiet while working in the cane fields?
10. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Kingston makes reference to the different cultures living within China, including the Cantonese, the Han, and later the Mandarin. Explain the references that the author makes to each ethnicity and provide the context in which she is describing it. Which one is Kingston? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the tone and mood that Kingston creates in her writing change from when she first addresses her Father in chapter three, "Father from China" and when she speaks of him in Chapter 14, "The American Father." Describe Kingston's attitude toward her father in Chapter three. Tell when you think Kingston changes her attitude toward him. Use quotes from the text to support your conclusions about Kingston's attitude toward her Father.
Essay Topic 3
Re-read the first two pages of Chapter 5, "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains." Summarize what happens when Kingston sends a distant cousin money for a bike. Kingston shows uncertainty regarding her decision not to send more money. Describe her reasons for the precaution she takes not to place her family in China any troubles.
Use this summary as a springboard to a longer essay regarding why Sojourners were expected to send money home to their Chinese wives and families. Why was this practice necessary? Does it stop at anytime during the time covered in Kingston's novel?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)