|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
2. Which character from Kingston's folktales in China Men suffers the most?
3. Who are the children referring to when they call out, "BaBa!"?
4. What did the Displaced Persons Act passed in 1948 offer Chinese immigrants?
5. Which of the following from "The Ghostmate" shows that the young man is feeling guilty about not returning to his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kingston say that MaMa's arrival ends Ed's independent life?
2. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
3. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
4. Tell what the Four Valuable Things are and explain their importance to the Chinese culture.
5. At the end of the "The Laws," Kingston predicts that the 1980 census may show that a million or more ethnic Chinese will be living in the United States. Why does she have to predict the census numbers?
6. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
7. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
8. What is the purpose for making Tang Ao's capture so easy it could be done by women?
9. Why would Tang beg to have the bandages replaced tightly after having the them removed from his feet?
10. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the times in China Men when the characters sing. Singing appears in many of the Chinese traditions to which Kingston exposes her readers. Find references throughout the novel, and describe the singing experience of the characters. Then use the examples to draw conclusions about why singing is part of life for so many Chinese. Explain what purpose the singing serves in each example.
Essay Topic 2
Note instances in China Men when Kingston relates events about her Father having nightmares. Identify the family's situation at the time Father is having nightmares. Consider the reasons MaMa gives for Father awakening screaming in the middle of the night. How are the children affected by Father's nightmares? What do the children think is the cause of their Father's bad dreams? What is your opinion about the cause and effects of Father's nightmares?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kingston makes reference to the different cultures living within China, including the Cantonese, the Han, and later the Mandarin. Explain the references that the author makes to each ethnicity and provide the context in which she is describing it. Which one is Kingston? How do you know?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)