|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does the monk set on what Tu Tzu-chun can do during his illusions?
2. How are the two tales, "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again" similar?
3. When does the story of Tu-Tzu-chin take place?
4. What does the monk tell Tu Tzu-chun about the task he has in store for Tu?
5. What is the result of the 1952 Immigration and Nationality Act?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
2. Describe how Kingston feels about her father from China. Use details from the text to support your conclusions.
3. Explain the irony of the mandarins requesting more ships in the story the Filipino scholar tells in "On Listening."
4. What does Lo Bun Sun's constant work and preparation suggest about his character?
5. Create a dictionary using words from the chapter, "The Li Sao: An Elegy." Choose words that readers will need to have knowledge of in order to understand the story. Create a display using words that fit the theme of the folktale, such as phoenix, mourned, epic, elegy, lament, sorrow, estrangement, incorruptible, entwined, requiem, warmongers, etc.
6. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
7. What does Kingston mean at the end of "Alaska China Men" when she writes, ". . . perhaps any China Man was China Joe"?
8. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
9. What explanation does the tale of Tu Tzu-chun give for the "Mongolian spot" in "On Mortality?"
10. How does the Wild Man end up in a Tampa Hospital for the insane? Tell what happens once he is there.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tell about the evolution of Kingston's Chinese family from one that practices solely Chinese customs to one practicing Americanized customs. For example, how many generations pass before Kingston's family evolves from adhering to arranged marriages to its first self-selected marriage. Discuss the reluctance of Kingston's Mother to let go of her Chinese traditions or superstitions. Describe the condition of the Chinese American in California with family still living in China.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Kingston's Father is different from his brothers. Describe the causes and effects of several events which occurred during Father's life. How did Father's position of favoritism by his mother and repugnance by his father ultimately affect Kingston's Father? Support your conclusions with details from the text or with personal experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the meaning of Diaspora. Explain how a Diaspora of the China Men occurred in the United State. Find other examples of Diaspora events in history, such as the Jewish Diaspora of ancient times. Write a persuasive essay that defends or denies the practice of Diaspora. Include details you discovered during your research as well as details from the description of the Driving Out of Chinese immigrants in China Men.
This section contains 2,659 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)