|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this Maui's last deed?
2. What is supposedly the cause of the "Mongolian spot" on some Chinese babies?
3. How does the wife that great grandfather Bak Sook Goong takes back to China affect Kingston's heritage?
4. What is the one emotion that Tu Tzu-chun cannot overcome in his illusion?
5. In "The Ghostmate," what does the young man see along the path that comforts him a little?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
2. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
3. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
4. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
5. Why does Bak Goong have so much trouble staying quiet while working in the cane fields?
6. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
7. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
8. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
9. What explanation does the tale of Tu Tzu-chun give for the "Mongolian spot" in "On Mortality?"
10. Describe how the author uses personification in "The Great Grandfather from the Sandalwood Mountains." Give examples from the text.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify times in Kingston's novel, China Men, when a character's expectations about Gold Mountain are not met. Compare and contrast characters' expectations with the reality they experience in America. Consider the plight of the Sojourners. Why do so many return to China? Why do some stay in America, leaving their families behind in a hostile China?
Essay Topic 2
How do Chinese immigrants in California and in New York perceive the American demons? Describe why the Chinese call all other ethnic groups outside of China demons. Find examples in China Men to support the immigrants' perception as correct. Then compare and contrast the work ethic of both Americans and Chinese immigrants as illustrated in the novel China Men.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the first and last chapters in Kingston's China Men. Make a connection between the two chapters in the context of the novel. What message does "On Discovery" send? What message does "On Listening" send? What evidence supports the conclusions you drew about the connection between the opening and closing chapters?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)