|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what point of view is "On Fathers" written?
2. What is the consequence of Tu Tzu-chun failing the monk's test?
3. What does Ah Goong say about working in the tunnels?
4. To what does the narrator in "The Ghostmate" compare the woman's hair?
5. What is the simile "like a knot of ginger root" referring to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Create a dictionary using words from the chapter, "The Li Sao: An Elegy." Choose words that readers will need to have knowledge of in order to understand the story. Create a display using words that fit the theme of the folktale, such as phoenix, mourned, epic, elegy, lament, sorrow, estrangement, incorruptible, entwined, requiem, warmongers, etc.
2. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
3. Describe the elements of fantasy Kingston uses to characterize Maui the Trickster in "On Mortality Again."
4. Describe the experience of the AJA's (Americans of Japanese Ancestry) during World War II, using only details from Kingston's retelling of her memories and the stories she heard as a child.
5. Summarize Kingston's childhood account of seeing a "Wild Man" every day when she and her sister walked to school.
6. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
7. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
8. What explanation does the tale of Tu Tzu-chun give for the "Mongolian spot" in "On Mortality?"
9. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
10. Describe the relationship between Lo Bun Sun and Sing Kay Ng.
Essay Topic 1
Explore the meaning of Diaspora. Explain how a Diaspora of the China Men occurred in the United State. Find other examples of Diaspora events in history, such as the Jewish Diaspora of ancient times. Write a persuasive essay that defends or denies the practice of Diaspora. Include details you discovered during your research as well as details from the description of the Driving Out of Chinese immigrants in China Men.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the first and last chapters in Kingston's China Men. Make a connection between the two chapters in the context of the novel. What message does "On Discovery" send? What message does "On Listening" send? What evidence supports the conclusions you drew about the connection between the opening and closing chapters?
Essay Topic 3
Kingston provides several examples of the use of the color red by Chinese. What does the color red symbolize for Chinese people? In what ways do Chinese people integrate the color red into their lives?
This section contains 2,830 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)