|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Tang Ao's wardrobe is shaped like a bridge?
2. What rule do the "white demons" enforce that is problematic for great grandfather Bak Goong while he is working in the sugar cane fields?
3. Which best describes the setting of "On Fathers"?
4. Tu cannot deliver his messages and take care of his urgent things after he exits the tunnel because _____________________________.
5. What was used first to keep the holes open in Tang Ao's earlobes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Kingston feels about her father from China. Use details from the text to support your conclusions.
2. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
3. How do the Chinese workers organize a strike against the railroad company without the "white demons" finding out?
4. Tell what the Four Valuable Things are and explain their importance to the Chinese culture.
5. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
6. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
7. What is the purpose for making Tang Ao's capture so easy it could be done by women?
8. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
9. Explain the progression of laws that at first limited Chinese family members from entering the U.S. to the laws that allowed them entry whether the quota had been met or not.
10. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories of Kingston's two relatives who helped build up the places they went outside of China. The Great Grandfather of Sandalwood Mountain" and "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains." Describe the similarities among the China men's two experiences, one in Hawaii and the other in America's Western states. Then describe the differences in the two men's experiences. What kinds of things contribute to the differences between the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the Four Most Valuable Things according to Chinese tradition. Tell why the Chinese valued these things. Cite examples from China Men that illustrate why these items are called the Four Most Valuable Things. Think about four valuable things in modern society. What things would you list as most valuable? How are they similar to and different from the Chinese traditional Four Most Valuable Things?
Essay Topic 3
Revisit the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains." Explain the concept of citizenship papers that many Chinese immigrants purchased to ensure their ability to stay in America. Explain the reasons for paper sons. Then tell how the San Francisco fire of 1906 allowed every China man to be reborn a citizen.
This section contains 1,568 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)