Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two islands does Kingston suggest her father had gone to before entering America?
2. Which details from the text imply that Father is a successful business man?
3. How does great grandfather Bak Goong break the rules of silence while working in Sandalwood Mountain?
4. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
5. What is an immortal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Create a dictionary using words from the chapter, "The Li Sao: An Elegy." Choose words that readers will need to have knowledge of in order to understand the story. Create a display using words that fit the theme of the folktale, such as phoenix, mourned, epic, elegy, lament, sorrow, estrangement, incorruptible, entwined, requiem, warmongers, etc.
2. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
3. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
4. What evidence in "The Wild Man of the Green Swamp" is there that shows the Wild Man's ingenuity?
5. What does Lo Bun Sun's constant work and preparation suggest about his character?
6. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
7. Describe how Kingston feels about her father from China. Use details from the text to support your conclusions.
8. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
9. Evaluate the methods Kingston uses to reveal the passage of time while Ah Goong is working in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
10. How does the Wild Man end up in a Tampa Hospital for the insane? Tell what happens once he is there.
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Kingston makes reference to the different cultures living within China, including the Cantonese, the Han, and later the Mandarin. Explain the references that the author makes to each ethnicity and provide the context in which she is describing it. Which one is Kingston? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Kingston's Father is different from his brothers. Describe the causes and effects of several events which occurred during Father's life. How did Father's position of favoritism by his mother and repugnance by his father ultimately affect Kingston's Father? Support your conclusions with details from the text or with personal experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the tone and mood that Kingston creates in her writing change from when she first addresses her Father in chapter three, "Father from China" and when she speaks of him in Chapter 14, "The American Father." Describe Kingston's attitude toward her father in Chapter three. Tell when you think Kingston changes her attitude toward him. Use quotes from the text to support your conclusions about Kingston's attitude toward her Father.
This section contains 2,514 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)