|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
2. How many years, according to Ah Goong, does it take to complete the railroad?
3. Which tax is enforced on Chinese immigrants living in California in order to pay for the extra policing their presence requires?
4. To what does the narrator in "The Ghostmate" compare the woman's hair?
5. What metaphor does Tang use to compare his bandages hanging to dry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
2. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
3. Describe the tenets of the philosophy of living multiple lives until you learn an important lesson.
4. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
5. Describe how the author uses personification in "The Great Grandfather from the Sandalwood Mountains." Give examples from the text.
6. How do the Chinese workers organize a strike against the railroad company without the "white demons" finding out?
7. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
8. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
9. In "On Mortality," how does the author make the reader sympathize with Tu when he is born as a deaf-mute girl child?
10. How does Kingston employ humor in "On Mortality Again"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a book review of Maxine Hong Kingston's novel China Men. Briefly summarize the plot line in the story, and then describe Kingston's approach to the subject as an author. Finally, tell whether you would recommend this book to someone else. Explain your recommendation to your reader.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Kingston makes reference to the different cultures living within China, including the Cantonese, the Han, and later the Mandarin. Explain the references that the author makes to each ethnicity and provide the context in which she is describing it. Which one is Kingston? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the folktales Kingston uses throughout China Men. For each one, describe how it is used to move along the plot in Kingston's novel. Study the Table of Contents to see where and how often the alternative genre is used. Do the tales foreshadow upcoming events? Do the fantasy stories serve to illustrate key points the author is trying to convey? Display your responses in a creative way that connects the ideas and patterns you discovered.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)