|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Ghostmate," what does the young man see along the path that comforts him a little?
2. What is it that Maui instructs all the living creatures on Earth to do in order to accomplish his goal?
3. Tu cannot deliver his messages and take care of his urgent things after he exits the tunnel because _____________________________.
4. What purpose does the mother character serve by entering the story at this point?
5. How are the two tales, "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again" similar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
2. How do the Chinese workers organize a strike against the railroad company without the "white demons" finding out?
3. How does Kingston employ humor in "On Mortality Again"?
4. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
5. Why does Bak Goong have so much trouble staying quiet while working in the cane fields?
6. In "On Mortality," how does the author make the reader sympathize with Tu when he is born as a deaf-mute girl child?
7. Describe grandmother's attitude toward grandfather, Ah Goong, citing examples from the chapter "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
8. At the end of the "The Laws," Kingston predicts that the 1980 census may show that a million or more ethnic Chinese will be living in the United States. Why does she have to predict the census numbers?
9. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
10. Evaluate the methods Kingston uses to reveal the passage of time while Ah Goong is working in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the folktales Kingston uses throughout China Men. For each one, describe how it is used to move along the plot in Kingston's novel. Study the Table of Contents to see where and how often the alternative genre is used. Do the tales foreshadow upcoming events? Do the fantasy stories serve to illustrate key points the author is trying to convey? Display your responses in a creative way that connects the ideas and patterns you discovered.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the first and last chapters in Kingston's China Men. Make a connection between the two chapters in the context of the novel. What message does "On Discovery" send? What message does "On Listening" send? What evidence supports the conclusions you drew about the connection between the opening and closing chapters?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the times in China Men when the characters sing. Singing appears in many of the Chinese traditions to which Kingston exposes her readers. Find references throughout the novel, and describe the singing experience of the characters. Then use the examples to draw conclusions about why singing is part of life for so many Chinese. Explain what purpose the singing serves in each example.
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)