|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Tang Ao's wardrobe is shaped like a bridge?
2. What is the consequence of Tu Tzu-chun failing the monk's test?
3. Why does Kingston grow up thinking her Father hates girls and women?
4. In "The Ghostmate, what imagery does Kingston use when the main character arrives at the house?
5. What is an immortal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kingston say that MaMa's arrival ends Ed's independent life?
2. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
3. Why does the author suggest that instead of the Driving Out in Alaska taking place twice that it could be the same story but with the dates mixed up?
4. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
5. Explain why the people that meet Li Sao realize too late that he is the last righteous human being. What do the people do to get Li Sao to return to Earth? What are the results of the people's attempts?
6. At the end of the story about Kau and Great Aunt, Kingston writes that the Great Aunt's return to Red China is a clue that the country of their heritage is not as bad as the stories imply. What does this reveal to the reader about the narrator and her understanding of Communist China?
7. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
8. Describe the elements of fantasy Kingston uses to characterize Maui the Trickster in "On Mortality Again."
9. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
10. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Kingston's Father is different from his brothers. Describe the causes and effects of several events which occurred during Father's life. How did Father's position of favoritism by his mother and repugnance by his father ultimately affect Kingston's Father? Support your conclusions with details from the text or with personal experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the traditions associated with Chinese arranged marriages. What is the purpose for the "wailing bride"? How are the customs different for the bride's family and the groom's family? What is the bride expected to do when she sees her groom for the first time? What do these actions imply about the bride's role in her marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Re-read the first two pages of Chapter 5, "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains." Summarize what happens when Kingston sends a distant cousin money for a bike. Kingston shows uncertainty regarding her decision not to send more money. Describe her reasons for the precaution she takes not to place her family in China any troubles.
Use this summary as a springboard to a longer essay regarding why Sojourners were expected to send money home to their Chinese wives and families. Why was this practice necessary? Does it stop at anytime during the time covered in Kingston's novel?
This section contains 2,907 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)