|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kingston grow up thinking her Father hates girls and women?
2. What reason is given for torturing Tang Ao?
3. What action does Maui take that tells the reader where Hina sleeps?
4. Which of the following is an example of figurative language?
5. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think this chapter "On Fathers" takes place in China or in America? Give reasons for your choice, citing examples from the text.
2. At the end of the "The Laws," Kingston predicts that the 1980 census may show that a million or more ethnic Chinese will be living in the United States. Why does she have to predict the census numbers?
3. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
4. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
5. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
6. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
7. Describe the elements of fantasy Kingston uses to characterize Maui the Trickster in "On Mortality Again."
8. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
9. In "On Mortality," how does the author make the reader sympathize with Tu when he is born as a deaf-mute girl child?
10. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the context in which Kingston addresses immortality in China Men. Do the Chinese men in China associate the Gold Mountain with immortality? Explain your answer in detail, citing quotes from specific chapters in China Men. Use other sources to find examples of man's search for or dream of achieving immortality. Are they consistent with Kingston's references in China Men?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Kingston makes reference to the different cultures living within China, including the Cantonese, the Han, and later the Mandarin. Explain the references that the author makes to each ethnicity and provide the context in which she is describing it. Which one is Kingston? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Study the immigration laws currently on the books in the United States. Compare them to "The Laws" the author describes in that chapter. Verify the accuracy of the laws Kingston describes. Note that some of the laws address California immigration, and others were passed by the federal government. How have the laws changed since Kingston wrote this novel in 1977? Do you think the changes have been positive or negative? How do the modern laws affect different people?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)