|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
2. What is it that Maui instructs all the living creatures on Earth to do in order to accomplish his goal?
3. What is the significance of the court case, Chae Chan Ping v. The United States?
4. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
5. Where does Hina of the night sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Father and the owner of the Gambling House.
2. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
3. Describe how the author uses personification in "The Great Grandfather from the Sandalwood Mountains." Give examples from the text.
4. Tell what the Four Valuable Things are and explain their importance to the Chinese culture.
5. What does Lo Bun Sun's constant work and preparation suggest about his character?
6. Describe the way the women pierce Tang Ao's ears and what they do to keep the holes open. Include examples of sensory details the author uses in the text.
7. What evidence in "The Wild Man of the Green Swamp" is there that shows the Wild Man's ingenuity?
8. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
9. Compare and contrast grandfather Ah Goong's experiences during the Driving Out with those that took place in Alaska according to Kingston's narrative.
10. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the folktales Kingston uses throughout China Men. For each one, describe how it is used to move along the plot in Kingston's novel. Study the Table of Contents to see where and how often the alternative genre is used. Do the tales foreshadow upcoming events? Do the fantasy stories serve to illustrate key points the author is trying to convey? Display your responses in a creative way that connects the ideas and patterns you discovered.
Essay Topic 2
Write a book review of Maxine Hong Kingston's novel China Men. Briefly summarize the plot line in the story, and then describe Kingston's approach to the subject as an author. Finally, tell whether you would recommend this book to someone else. Explain your recommendation to your reader.
Essay Topic 3
Tell about the evolution of Kingston's Chinese family from one that practices solely Chinese customs to one practicing Americanized customs. For example, how many generations pass before Kingston's family evolves from adhering to arranged marriages to its first self-selected marriage. Discuss the reluctance of Kingston's Mother to let go of her Chinese traditions or superstitions. Describe the condition of the Chinese American in California with family still living in China.
This section contains 2,673 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)