|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Honolulu, what does Kingston's friend, the dancer, report about Kingston's ancestral village?
2. Which railroad company building the Transcontinental Railroad does Ah Goong work for?
3. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
4. In "The Ghostmate, what imagery does Kingston use when the main character arrives at the house?
5. Where in the world is the Women's Land according to ancient scholars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does the tale of Tu Tzu-chun give for the "Mongolian spot" in "On Mortality?"
2. Describe how the widow in "The Ghostmate" uses the young man's talents against him.
3. Explain the irony of Maui the Trickster' s demise in "On Mortality Again."
4. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
5. Describe the elements of fantasy Kingston uses to characterize Maui the Trickster in "On Mortality Again."
6. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
7. Why does Bak Goong have so much trouble staying quiet while working in the cane fields?
8. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
9. Explain the progression of laws that at first limited Chinese family members from entering the U.S. to the laws that allowed them entry whether the quota had been met or not.
10. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the traditions associated with Chinese arranged marriages. What is the purpose for the "wailing bride"? How are the customs different for the bride's family and the groom's family? What is the bride expected to do when she sees her groom for the first time? What do these actions imply about the bride's role in her marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Kingston makes reference to the different cultures living within China, including the Cantonese, the Han, and later the Mandarin. Explain the references that the author makes to each ethnicity and provide the context in which she is describing it. Which one is Kingston? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the Four Most Valuable Things according to Chinese tradition. Tell why the Chinese valued these things. Cite examples from China Men that illustrate why these items are called the Four Most Valuable Things. Think about four valuable things in modern society. What things would you list as most valuable? How are they similar to and different from the Chinese traditional Four Most Valuable Things?
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)