Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two islands does Kingston suggest her father had gone to before entering America?
2. Which details from the text imply that Father is a successful business man?
3. How does great grandfather Bak Goong break the rules of silence while working in Sandalwood Mountain?
4. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
5. What is an immortal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Create a dictionary using words from the chapter, "The Li Sao: An Elegy." Choose words that readers will need to have knowledge of in order to understand the story. Create a display using words that fit the theme of the folktale, such as phoenix, mourned, epic, elegy, lament, sorrow, estrangement, incorruptible, entwined, requiem, warmongers, etc.
2. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
3. Explain how prior knowledge or a similar experience can help a reader understand the events that occur in "On Fathers."
4. What evidence in "The Wild Man of the Green Swamp" is there that shows the Wild Man's ingenuity?
5. What does Lo Bun Sun's constant work and preparation suggest about his character?
6. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
7. Describe how Kingston feels about her father from China. Use details from the text to support your conclusions.
8. Describe the basis of the queue tax.
9. Evaluate the methods Kingston uses to reveal the passage of time while Ah Goong is working in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
10. How does the Wild Man end up in a Tampa Hospital for the insane? Tell what happens once he is there.
Essay Topic 1
Kingston provides several examples of the use of the color red by Chinese. What does the color red symbolize for Chinese people? In what ways do Chinese people integrate the color red into their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Re-read the first two pages of Chapter 5, "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains." Summarize what happens when Kingston sends a distant cousin money for a bike. Kingston shows uncertainty regarding her decision not to send more money. Describe her reasons for the precaution she takes not to place her family in China any troubles.
Use this summary as a springboard to a longer essay regarding why Sojourners were expected to send money home to their Chinese wives and families. Why was this practice necessary? Does it stop at anytime during the time covered in Kingston's novel?
Essay Topic 3
How do Chinese immigrants in California and in New York perceive the American demons? Describe why the Chinese call all other ethnic groups outside of China demons. Find examples in China Men to support the immigrants' perception as correct. Then compare and contrast the work ethic of both Americans and Chinese immigrants as illustrated in the novel China Men.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)