|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does young Kingston believe her grandfathers left behind through the tracks in Stockton?
2. How does Kingston show that the main character is enjoying his feast with the woman of the house in "The Ghostmate"?
3. What is supposedly the cause of the "Mongolian spot" on some Chinese babies?
4. How does great grandfather Bak Goong break the rules of silence while working in Sandalwood Mountain?
5. What does a Chinese bride do for three nights before she marries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Tang beg to have the bandages replaced tightly after having the them removed from his feet?
2. What purpose is served when Bak Goong tells his fellow workers the tale about the King who fathered a prince with cat ears and keeps it a secret?
3. What is the purpose for making Tang Ao's capture so easy it could be done by women?
4. Explain how the author of "The Ghostmate" cues the reader that the main character represents any China Man in their youth.
5. How do the Chinese workers organize a strike against the railroad company without the "white demons" finding out?
6. Do you think this chapter "On Fathers" takes place in China or in America? Give reasons for your choice, citing examples from the text.
7. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
8. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
9. Describe the way great grandfather Bak Goong ends up working in the Sandalwood Mountains in Hawaii?
10. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the traditions associated with Chinese arranged marriages. What is the purpose for the "wailing bride"? How are the customs different for the bride's family and the groom's family? What is the bride expected to do when she sees her groom for the first time? What do these actions imply about the bride's role in her marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories of Kingston's two relatives who helped build up the places they went outside of China. The Great Grandfather of Sandalwood Mountain" and "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains." Describe the similarities among the China men's two experiences, one in Hawaii and the other in America's Western states. Then describe the differences in the two men's experiences. What kinds of things contribute to the differences between the stories?
Essay Topic 3
How do Chinese immigrants in California and in New York perceive the American demons? Describe why the Chinese call all other ethnic groups outside of China demons. Find examples in China Men to support the immigrants' perception as correct. Then compare and contrast the work ethic of both Americans and Chinese immigrants as illustrated in the novel China Men.
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)