|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of figurative language?
2. Who is Chan Moong Gut in "The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains"?
3. Which railroad company building the Transcontinental Railroad does Ah Goong work for?
4. What does the monk tell Tu Tzu-chun about the task he has in store for Tu?
5. What is the one emotion that Tu Tzu-chun cannot overcome in his illusion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what the Four Valuable Things are and explain their importance to the Chinese culture.
2. Explain the progression of laws that at first limited Chinese family members from entering the U.S. to the laws that allowed them entry whether the quota had been met or not.
3. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
4. What is the significance of Kingston's modern Auntie's marriage to I Fu?
5. Explain the Fair Share Refugee Act of 1960.
6. At the end of the "The Laws," Kingston predicts that the 1980 census may show that a million or more ethnic Chinese will be living in the United States. Why does she have to predict the census numbers?
7. Compare and contrast Uncle Bun's beliefs about the benefits of communism and his dreams of a Communist World and Father's political beliefs.
8. Why does the author suggest that instead of the Driving Out in Alaska taking place twice that it could be the same story but with the dates mixed up?
9. Describe the elements of fantasy Kingston uses to characterize Maui the Trickster in "On Mortality Again."
10. Explain why members of the freighter's crew try to send their shipmate to China and describe the Wild Man's response at the airport.
Essay Topic 1
Identify the Four Most Valuable Things according to Chinese tradition. Tell why the Chinese valued these things. Cite examples from China Men that illustrate why these items are called the Four Most Valuable Things. Think about four valuable things in modern society. What things would you list as most valuable? How are they similar to and different from the Chinese traditional Four Most Valuable Things?
Essay Topic 2
Identify times in Kingston's novel, China Men, when a character's expectations about Gold Mountain are not met. Compare and contrast characters' expectations with the reality they experience in America. Consider the plight of the Sojourners. Why do so many return to China? Why do some stay in America, leaving their families behind in a hostile China?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Kingston's Father is different from his brothers. Describe the causes and effects of several events which occurred during Father's life. How did Father's position of favoritism by his mother and repugnance by his father ultimately affect Kingston's Father? Support your conclusions with details from the text or with personal experiences.
This section contains 2,633 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)