|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author speaking or writing to in the beginning of "The Father from China"?
2. What is the procedure that the women are using on Tang's feet called?
3. Which of the following is an example of a simile used in "The Ghostmate"?
4. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
5. In "The Ghostmate, what imagery does Kingston use when the main character arrives at the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the tales that Kingston makes up about how her father gets to America.
2. Explain the cause for the children's confusion and its effects on the characters in "On Fathers."
3. Explain the progression of laws that at first limited Chinese family members from entering the U.S. to the laws that allowed them entry whether the quota had been met or not.
4. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the first two lines of "On Mortality."
5. Compare and contrast the genre used for "On Discovery" and for "On Fathers."
6. Compare and contrast the proverbs "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again."
7. Explain the Fair Share Refugee Act of 1960.
8. Identify and describe two historical allusions Kingston makes in "The Grandfather of the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
9. Briefly describe the process of footbinding and tell why the women sing to him when tightly bandaging his feet.
10. What is the significance of the long path that leads to the widow's house in "The Ghostmate"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Note instances in China Men when Kingston relates events about her Father having nightmares. Identify the family's situation at the time Father is having nightmares. Consider the reasons MaMa gives for Father awakening screaming in the middle of the night. How are the children affected by Father's nightmares? What do the children think is the cause of their Father's bad dreams? What is your opinion about the cause and effects of Father's nightmares?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the traditions associated with Chinese arranged marriages. What is the purpose for the "wailing bride"? How are the customs different for the bride's family and the groom's family? What is the bride expected to do when she sees her groom for the first time? What do these actions imply about the bride's role in her marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the context in which Kingston addresses immortality in China Men. Do the Chinese men in China associate the Gold Mountain with immortality? Explain your answer in detail, citing quotes from specific chapters in China Men. Use other sources to find examples of man's search for or dream of achieving immortality. Are they consistent with Kingston's references in China Men?
This section contains 1,476 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)