|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the basketmen stop working in autumn?
(a) The winds are too high to work at high elevation
(b) Men do not have the right clothes
(c) The baskets would fall apart because of age
(d) The season is a Chinese holiday
2. What do the women do to help stir the cool female winds inside Tang's body?
(a) make Tang sit in the rain and wind
(b) make Tang wash the bandages used to bind his feet
(c) giveTang tea with white chrysanthemums
(d) unwrap the bindings from Tang's feet
3. Which of the following from "The Ghostmate" shows that the young man is feeling guilty about not returning to his family?
(a) Instead he feeds like a zoo animal.
(b) The young husband should have hinted for some leftovers to bring home.
(c) He asks, "Do you live alone?"
(d) His wife would enjoy hearing about his lucky night.
4. Which railroad company building the Transcontinental Railroad does Ah Goong work for?
(a) the Union Pacific Railroad
(b) The Colorado Railroad
(c) the Central Pacific Railroad
(d) The Mississippi Railroad
5. Who are the children referring to when they call out, "BaBa!"?
(a) their father
(b) their mother
(c) the stranger
(d) their grandparents
6. Which of the following indicates that "The Ghostmate" is a fantasy?
(a) mountains rise until the peaks fade from sight
(b) the winds whip up
(c) trees howl and bend to earth
(d) naked drought-dwarfs with one eye on top run for cover
7. In Honolulu, what does Kingston's friend, the dancer, report about Kingston's ancestral village?
(a) the people are housed and fed
(b) the people greeted her with a parade
(c) the people in the village are ignorant and lazy
(d) family members had been forced out to build apartments
8. In "The Ghostmate, what imagery does Kingston use when the main character arrives at the house?
(a) A bolt of lightning illuminates the young man at the door.
(b) The music that accompanies the young man turns dark.
(c) The storm dies when the young man knocks at a gate.
(d) The green and black trees twist and turn.
9. What does Ah Po show BaBa's brothers to explain that he is different from them?
(a) BaBa was the largest boy born so far in the family.
(b) BaBa's skinny, frail body had hands made for holding pens.
(c) BaBa's hair was a different color than theirs.
(d) BaBa's head was shaped differently than theirs.
10. Which character from Kingston's folktales in China Men suffers the most?
(a) Tu Tzu-chun
(b) Maui the trickster in
(c) The young man
(d) Bak Goong the great grandfather
11. How long had Ed been away from China before he and MaMa were reunited in New York City?
(a) 5 years
(b) 15 years
(c) 2 years
(d) 10 years
12. How are the two tales, "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again" similar?
(a) The main character in both tales is the same.
(b) The setting of both tales is the same.
(c) Both tales are about achieving immortality for humanity.
(d) Both tales have the same mood or tone.
13. How does the wife that great grandfather Bak Sook Goong takes back to China affect Kingston's heritage?
(a) The new wife insists on returning to Hawaii with the rest of the family, removing them from China for good.
(b) The new wife's children start the line of Hawaiian-Chinese family members.
(c) The new wife refuses to blend with Bak Sook Goong's other wives, causing the first divorce in her family.
(d) The new wife has no affect on Kingston's heritage.
14. How many days does the China Men's strike in the Sierra Nevada Mountains last before a compromise is made with the Central Pacific Railroad?
(a) nine days
(b) two months
(c) nine weeks
(d) one year
15. Who is the narrator in this chapter?
(a) the father
(b) the stranger
(c) the author
(d) the mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ah Goong, BaBa's father, do with BaBa that horrifies the family?
2. What is the one emotion that Tu Tzu-chun cannot overcome in his illusion?
3. What mood does the letter from Kingston's friend, the physicist, reflect about his return visit to their common ancestral village?
4. What does a Chinese bride do for three nights before she marries?
5. In "The Ghostmate," what does the young man see along the path that comforts him a little?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)