|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an immortal?
(a) A person who hurts others without regret.
(b) A character in tales who dies at the end of the story.
(c) A human who lives forever, according to legend
(d) A magician who can stop time.
2. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
(a) Tang Ao is not on guard against ladies.
(b) The women use weapons to make him come along.
(c) The women kneeled to take off his shoes.
(d) The women tackle him and tie his hands together.
3. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
(a) powder Tang's face and put makeup on him
(b) force Tang to wash his used bandages
(c) pierce Tang's ears
(d) feed Tang chicken wings to make his hair shine
4. Why does Kingston think that Stockton is a special place to live?
(a) Stockton, CA, is the only city with three intersecting railroads.
(b) Kingston could ride the trains anytime she wanted.
(c) Kingston's grandfathers worked on the tracks in Stockton where Kingston and her family live.
(d) Flocks of hoboes were always around the tracks, keeping the city entertaining.
5. Which Supreme Court case overturns San Francisco safety ordinances, thereby admitting that California laws are designed to harass Chinese immigrants?
(a) Yick Wo v. Hopkins
(b) The United States v. Mrs. Cue Lim
(c) Yue Ting v. The United States
(d) Chae Chan Ping v. The United States
6. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
(a) He swats the children away from him as if they were flies.
(b) He is speechless and ignores them altogether.
(c) He laughs and tells them they made a mistake.
(d) He gets angry and yells at Mother.
7. How many times does Ah Goong go to Gold Mountain?
(a) one time
(c) three times
(d) five times
8. What is it that Maui instructs all the living creatures on Earth to do in order to accomplish his goal?
(a) read the clouds
(b) stay silent
(c) sing in tune
(d) walk on water
9. Which character from Kingston's folktales in China Men suffers the most?
(a) Bak Goong the great grandfather
(b) The young man
(c) Maui the trickster in
(d) Tu Tzu-chun
10. What is supposedly the cause of the "Mongolian spot" on some Chinese babies?
(a) The Mongolian spot is a bruise left by the doctor during birth of Chinese babies.
(b) The Mongolian spot indicates the child has a disease.
(c) Tu Tzu-chun is kicked in the rear to get him through the birth canal.
(d) The Mongolian spot is the mark of an immortal.
11. Which best describes the setting of "On Fathers"?
(a) a farm in rural area
(b) a street in Stockton, CA
(c) the author's yard
12. Which railroad company building the Transcontinental Railroad does Ah Goong work for?
(a) the Union Pacific Railroad
(b) The Colorado Railroad
(c) the Central Pacific Railroad
(d) The Mississippi Railroad
13. How long had Ed been away from China before he and MaMa were reunited in New York City?
(a) 5 years
(b) 15 years
(c) 2 years
(d) 10 years
14. What does a Chinese bride do for three nights before she marries?
(a) She prepares three thousand wedding cakes.
(b) She listens to the prayers of women in the village.
(c) She hides from her groom-to-be and his family.
(d) She sits behind bed curtains to sing and weep.
15. What message does young Kingston believe her grandfathers left behind through the tracks in Stockton?
(a) The train will help you escape danger.
(b) Stay in Stockton forever.
(c) Trains are dangerous and should be avoided.
(d) Go somewhere important.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signed document states that Chinese and Americans could freely travel, trade, and live in either country?
2. What metaphor does Tang use to compare his bandages hanging to dry?
3. What rule do the "white demons" enforce that is problematic for great grandfather Bak Goong while he is working in the sugar cane fields?
4. Which best describes the genre of these two chapters: "The Ghostmate" and "The Father From America"?
5. How does Kingston show that the main character is enjoying his feast with the woman of the house in "The Ghostmate"?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)