|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Ghostmate, what imagery does Kingston use when the main character arrives at the house?
(a) The green and black trees twist and turn.
(b) The storm dies when the young man knocks at a gate.
(c) A bolt of lightning illuminates the young man at the door.
(d) The music that accompanies the young man turns dark.
2. How many times does Ah Goong go to Gold Mountain?
(a) one time
(b) three times
(c) five times
3. Why would the woman in "The Ghostmate" ask the young man to make her shoes?
(a) The woman keeps her visitors with her by making them make things for her.
(b) The woman is poor and needs a pair of shoes.
(c) The woman wants her visitor to leave right away.
(d) The woman is trying to distract the young man from the storm.
4. What is the consequence of Tu Tzu-chun failing the monk's test?
(a) All Chinese babies will be born with a
(b) Tu Tzu-chun must repay all the money he spent over the last three lifetimes.
(c) Humanity has lost the chance for immortality.
(d) Humanity will become deaf and mute.
5. What mood does the letter from Kingston's friend, the physicist, reflect about his return visit to their common ancestral village?
6. What signed document states that Chinese and Americans could freely travel, trade, and live in either country?
(a) the queue tax
(b) the Nationality Act
(c) the Fourteenth Amendment
(d) the Burlingame Treaty
7. What is an immortal?
(a) A human who lives forever, according to legend
(b) A character in tales who dies at the end of the story.
(c) A person who hurts others without regret.
(d) A magician who can stop time.
8. What metaphor does Tang use to compare his bandages hanging to dry?
(a) like a moth's wings
(b) streamers that drooped and draped wall to wall
(c) like underwear
(d) gathered his toes over and under another
9. What is the one emotion that Tu Tzu-chun cannot overcome in his illusion?
10. What do the women do to help stir the cool female winds inside Tang's body?
(a) giveTang tea with white chrysanthemums
(b) make Tang sit in the rain and wind
(c) make Tang wash the bandages used to bind his feet
(d) unwrap the bindings from Tang's feet
11. What is the simile "like a knot of ginger root" referring to?
(a) Tang's arthritic hands
(b) Tang's broken and stacked toes
(c) the veins in Tang's broken feet
(d) the shape of Tang's ears
12. Which best describes the setting of "On Fathers"?
(a) a farm in rural area
(b) a street in Stockton, CA
(c) the author's yard
13. What does the monk say Tu Tzu-chun has to do to repay him the third time?
(a) spend another fortune
(b) work for him on an important difficult task
(c) murder his wife
(d) spend his fortune on others
14. Where do Ed and MaMa go after Ed is ousted from the laundry business?
(a) to Alaska
(b) to California
(c) to the movies
(d) to Long Island
15. Which details from the text imply that Father is a successful business man?
(a) He wears a coat with tobacco smell.
(b) He is tall and thin.
(c) He continues his walk down our street.
(d) He wears two-hundred dollar suits and good leather shoes with wingtips.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two old women do to Tang Ao with the needles?
2. How do Ed's partners swindle him out of the business?
3. Why is this Maui's last deed?
4. What is Tang Ao doing when he meets the Queen?
5. What is happening on the East Coast at the same time as the Central Pacific is forging through the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the West?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)