|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the Chinese wives most likely afraid of when their husbands left for Gold Mountain?
(a) that their husbands would settle in America with new wives
(b) that their husbands will get harmed by bandits while still in China
(c) that their husbands might bring back a new wife
(d) that their husbands would return broke and broken
2. Which two islands does Kingston suggest her father had gone to before entering America?
(a) Ellis Island and Cuba
(b) Angel Island and Cuba
(c) Angel Island and Ellis Island
(d) Hawaii and Cuba
3. What signed document states that Chinese and Americans could freely travel, trade, and live in either country?
(a) the Nationality Act
(b) the queue tax
(c) the Fourteenth Amendment
(d) the Burlingame Treaty
4. Where in the world is the Women's Land according to ancient scholars?
(a) North America
5. What is the significance of the court case, Chae Chan Ping v. The United States?
(a) Congressmen call for the United States to be made up of a limited amount of elderly Chinese people.
(b) This case adds one year of hard labor for illegal Chinese immigrants before being deported.
(c) This is the first case to address the issue of Sojourners.
(d) This is the first case of a Chinese fighting against the Chinese Exclusion Acts.
6. What purpose does the mother character serve by entering the story at this point?
(a) She introduces a conflict that the children have to solve.
(b) She becomes the focus of the children so that they stop focusing on the stranger.
(c) She moves the plot along and explains how the children could make such a mistake.
(d) She provides an adult female presence to balance the male presence of the stranger.
7. What did the Displaced Persons Act passed in 1948 offer Chinese immigrants?
(a) The act allows Chinese people to bring their close family members to the U.S.
(b) Special Citizenship Judges are appointed to get individual private bills passed for a price.
(c) between 1948-1954, ethnic Chinese could apply for citizenship.
(d) Homes for Chinese immigrants are given to those who are homeles
8. Which best describes the author when she sends money to her cousin in China?
(a) a child in China
(b) an adult in China
(c) an adult in California
(d) a child in California
9. Which is an example from the text of sensory details?
(a) mother came out of the house
(b) watched the man walk away
(c) noses against his coat to sniff his tobacco smell
(d) gold coins that were really chocolate
10. What finally makes Tu Tzu-chun break his silence?
(a) Tu sees her baby's head smashed against the rocks.
(b) The pain Tu Tzu-chun feels when he's being tortured.
(c) Tu Tzu-chun screamed when he heard his wife's bones being broken.
(d) Tu speaks for the first time.
11. To what does this simile refer: "Sap ran from its cuts like crying blind eyes"?
(a) a huge redwood tree that Ah Goong helped cut down
(b) cuts on Ah Goong's arms after working in the forest
(c) a blind child that cried all the time
(d) bamboo that had to be cut before the rail could be laid
12. How many days does the China Men's strike in the Sierra Nevada Mountains last before a compromise is made with the Central Pacific Railroad?
(a) nine days
(b) two months
(c) nine weeks
(d) one year
13. What do the two old women do to Tang Ao with the needles?
(a) pin Tang's ears to his head
(b) sew Tang's lips shut
(c) pierce Tang's tongue
(d) pierce Tang's ears
14. How are the two tales, "On Mortality" and "On Mortality Again" similar?
(a) Both tales are about achieving immortality for humanity.
(b) The setting of both tales is the same.
(c) The main character in both tales is the same.
(d) Both tales have the same mood or tone.
15. Why would the woman in "The Ghostmate" ask the young man to make her shoes?
(a) The woman is trying to distract the young man from the storm.
(b) The woman wants her visitor to leave right away.
(c) The woman keeps her visitors with her by making them make things for her.
(d) The woman is poor and needs a pair of shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rule do the "white demons" enforce that is problematic for great grandfather Bak Goong while he is working in the sugar cane fields?
2. Who were the Gold Mountain Sojourners?
3. How does Father acknowledge that he recognizes the children?
4. Tu cannot deliver his messages and take care of his urgent things after he exits the tunnel because _____________________________.
5. What is the simile "like a knot of ginger root" referring to?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)