|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character from Kingston's folktales in China Men suffers the most?
(a) Maui the trickster in
(b) Tu Tzu-chun
(c) The young man
(d) Bak Goong the great grandfather
2. How might Kingston's father's life have been different had he passed the Imperial Examinations with honors?
(a) Kingston's father may have married an American woman.
(b) Kingston's father may have traveled the world in luxury.
(c) Kingston's father may not have come to Gold Mountain.
(d) Kingston's father may not have had to work a single day in his life.
3. What is it that Maui instructs all the living creatures on Earth to do in order to accomplish his goal?
(a) sing in tune
(b) read the clouds
(c) stay silent
(d) walk on water
4. Which best describes the genre of these two chapters: "The Ghostmate" and "The Father From America"?
(a) realistic fiction and autobiography
(b) autobiography and biography
(c) fantasy tale and biography
(d) folktale and nonfiction
5. Which tax is enforced on Chinese immigrants living in California in order to pay for the extra policing their presence requires?
(a) the laundry tax
(b) the police tax
(c) the cubic air ordinance
(d) the cigar tax
6. What is inside of Hina that holds immortality for humanity?
7. Why does Kingston think that Stockton is a special place to live?
(a) Kingston could ride the trains anytime she wanted.
(b) Kingston's grandfathers worked on the tracks in Stockton where Kingston and her family live.
(c) Stockton, CA, is the only city with three intersecting railroads.
(d) Flocks of hoboes were always around the tracks, keeping the city entertaining.
8. In 1884, who is the first Chinese immigrant denied citizenship based on race?
(a) Yick Wo
(b) Wong Kim Ark
(c) Chan Young
(d) Yue Ting
9. How does Kingston show that the main character is enjoying his feast with the woman of the house in "The Ghostmate"?
(a) Kingston says that the young man hears a deer cry.
(b) Kingston says the meal lasts a long while.
(c) Kingston describes the disgusting way that the young man eats.
(d) Kingston says he feeds like an aristocrat.
10. Why is this Maui's last deed?
(a) Maui is reborn to Hina as a different demigod.
(b) Hina closes Maui up inside her and he dies there.
(c) Hina removes Maui and eats him alive.
(d) Maui drowns during his attempted escape.
11. What was used first to keep the holes open in Tang Ao's earlobes?
(a) silk threads
(b) jade studs
(c) gold loops
(d) sticks of straw
12. Which two islands does Kingston suggest her father had gone to before entering America?
(a) Angel Island and Ellis Island
(b) Ellis Island and Cuba
(c) Angel Island and Cuba
(d) Hawaii and Cuba
13. Which railroad company building the Transcontinental Railroad does Ah Goong work for?
(a) The Colorado Railroad
(b) the Central Pacific Railroad
(c) The Mississippi Railroad
(d) the Union Pacific Railroad
14. Which anti-Chinese law comes first?
(a) The revised Burlingame Treaty
(b) Act to Amend an Act
(c) Chinese Exclusion Act
(d) Scott Act
15. What is the meaning of the word hastening in the opening lines of "On Fathers"?
(a) speeding up the pace of walking
(b) slowing down the pace of walking
(c) stopping to tie shoe laces
(d) running quickly by
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Father acknowledge that he recognizes the children?
2. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
3. What part of Tang Ao's wardrobe is shaped like a bridge?
4. What message does young Kingston believe her grandfathers left behind through the tracks in Stockton?
5. What does Ah Goong say about working in the tunnels?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)