|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Hundred-Year-Old Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the fish-and-game wardens and sheriff deputies use dogs to search for the Wild Man, why is their search so short?
(a) The dogs find no scent to follow.
(b) The searchers are convinced that no one could live in the swamp.
(c) The officers are sure the sightings are a mass hallucination.
(d) The officers are getting bitten by mosquitoes
2. How does the wife that great grandfather Bak Sook Goong takes back to China affect Kingston's heritage?
(a) The new wife refuses to blend with Bak Sook Goong's other wives, causing the first divorce in her family.
(b) The new wife has no affect on Kingston's heritage.
(c) The new wife insists on returning to Hawaii with the rest of the family, removing them from China for good.
(d) The new wife's children start the line of Hawaiian-Chinese family members.
3. In the first telling of the Driving Out of Alaska, who relocates the China Men?
(a) Indians in war canoes
(b) Chinese scab laborers
(c) Indians on a schooner
(d) White demons with guns and tools
4. Why does Great Aunt get herself smuggled into Hong Kong?
(a) Great Aunt hopes Uncle Kau will live out their last days in Hong Kong since it is not Communist.
(b) Great Aunt had lived her whole life in one village and she wanted to see a big city.
(c) Great Aunt, a ninety years old, wants to prove to herself she can get to Hong Kong without being detected.
(d) Great Aunt is being hunted by the Communist in China.
5. Who is Guan Goong?
(a) one of Kingston's grandfathers
(b) an actor in a play in Sacramento
(c) the God of War and Literature
(d) a hero from China's revolution
Short Answer Questions
1. The seer does not disturb the spirits in the clouds in "On Mortality Again" __________________________.
2. How does Kingston refer to "The Adventures of Lo Bun Sun," based on her childhood perspective?
3. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
4. How might Kingston's father's life have been different had he passed the Imperial Examinations with honors?
5. To what does this simile refer: "Sap ran from its cuts like crying blind eyes"?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)