|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the "Jesus demons" trying to do when they visit the work camp where Bak Goong lives?
(a) trying to cast demons from the Chinese workers
(b) trying to convert the Chinese to Christianity
(c) trying to lure them to work at their farm
(d) trying to baptize the Chinese workers
2. What reason is given for torturing Tang Ao?
(a) to prepare Tang to meet the queen
(b) to teach him a lesson about respecting women
(c) to make him look like a woman
(d) to punish him for coming to the Land of Women
3. Who is the narrator in this chapter?
(a) the father
(b) the stranger
(c) the author
(d) the mother
4. What indicates to the young man in "The Ghostmate" that the woman is "old style"?
(a) long combs and traditional eye make-up
(b) the food is just the right temperature
(c) she serves him a meal
(d) he does not like the clothing she left him
5. What do the women do to help stir the cool female winds inside Tang's body?
(a) unwrap the bindings from Tang's feet
(b) giveTang tea with white chrysanthemums
(c) make Tang sit in the rain and wind
(d) make Tang wash the bandages used to bind his feet
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the setting for Kingston's biography of great grandfather Bak Goong in "The Great Grandfather of Sandalwood Mountains"?
2. Which best describes the setting of "On Fathers"?
3. In "The Ghostmate, what imagery does Kingston use when the main character arrives at the house?
4. Which of the following from "The Ghostmate" shows that the young man is feeling guilty about not returning to his family?
5. What does a Chinese bride do for three nights before she marries?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)