|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the Chinese wives most likely afraid of when their husbands left for Gold Mountain?
(a) that their husbands will get harmed by bandits while still in China
(b) that their husbands might bring back a new wife
(c) that their husbands would settle in America with new wives
(d) that their husbands would return broke and broken
2. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
(a) He swats the children away from him as if they were flies.
(b) He laughs and tells them they made a mistake.
(c) He gets angry and yells at Mother.
(d) He is speechless and ignores them altogether.
3. Which best describes the genre of these two chapters: "The Ghostmate" and "The Father From America"?
(a) fantasy tale and biography
(b) folktale and nonfiction
(c) autobiography and biography
(d) realistic fiction and autobiography
4. Which of the following is an example of a simile used in "The Ghostmate"?
(a) He gorges; he indulges his appetite.
(b) The orange of the firelight suffuses the prorcelain.
(c) The bowls of soup are bottomless.
(d) Steam rises as if a mirage of food floated on the table.
5. Who is the narrator in this chapter?
(a) the father
(b) the mother
(c) the author
(d) the stranger
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Father acknowledge that he recognizes the children?
2. Which of the following from "The Ghostmate" shows that the young man is feeling guilty about not returning to his family?
3. Which best describes the author when she sends money to her cousin in China?
4. What is the procedure that the women are using on Tang's feet called?
5. What is the meaning of the word hastening in the opening lines of "On Fathers"?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)