|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Father from China.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What purpose does the mother character serve by entering the story at this point?
(a) She becomes the focus of the children so that they stop focusing on the stranger.
(b) She moves the plot along and explains how the children could make such a mistake.
(c) She provides an adult female presence to balance the male presence of the stranger.
(d) She introduces a conflict that the children have to solve.
2. How long had Ed been away from China before he and MaMa were reunited in New York City?
(a) 5 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 15 years
(d) 2 years
3. Who is the narrator in this chapter?
(a) the father
(b) the mother
(c) the author
(d) the stranger
4. Who were the Gold Mountain Sojourners?
(a) the white demons that control the immigrant Chinese men
(b) the men who went to America and then returned to China
(c) the men who mined the gold in America
(d) the teachers who graded papers every night for the Chinese children
5. How does the stranger respond to the children's mistake?
(a) He laughs and tells them they made a mistake.
(b) He gets angry and yells at Mother.
(c) He swats the children away from him as if they were flies.
(d) He is speechless and ignores them altogether.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the women manage to capture Tang Ao?
2. What do the two old women do to Tang Ao with the needles?
3. What were the Chinese wives most likely afraid of when their husbands left for Gold Mountain?
4. Where do Ed and MaMa go after Ed is ousted from the laundry business?
5. What is the procedure that the women are using on Tang's feet called?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)