|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Father from China.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two islands does Kingston suggest her father had gone to before entering America?
(a) Angel Island and Ellis Island
(b) Hawaii and Cuba
(c) Ellis Island and Cuba
(d) Angel Island and Cuba
2. What reason is given for torturing Tang Ao?
(a) to punish him for coming to the Land of Women
(b) to prepare Tang to meet the queen
(c) to make him look like a woman
(d) to teach him a lesson about respecting women
3. Which of the following is an example of figurative language?
(a) He took our hands out of his pockets.
(b) We jumped off the fence.
(c) His good leather shoes with the wingtips
(d) man wears our father's two-hundred dollar suit.
4. Where in the world is the Women's Land according to ancient scholars?
(c) North America
5. How do Ed's partners swindle him out of the business?
(a) The partners spend all the profits dancing with women on Saturday nights.
(b) The partners pocket cash from laundry orders as often as they can.
(c) The partners kidnap MaMa for ransom that Ed has to pay.
(d) The partners tell him he missed the meeting where they put themselves in charge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the children reach into the man's pockets?
2. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
3. What is the simile "like a knot of ginger root" referring to?
4. What does a Chinese bride do for three nights before she marries?
5. Who is the author speaking or writing to in the beginning of "The Father from China"?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)