|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two old women do to Tang Ao with the needles?
(a) pierce Tang's ears
(b) pin Tang's ears to his head
(c) sew Tang's lips shut
(d) pierce Tang's tongue
2. Which best describes the author when she sends money to her cousin in China?
(a) a child in China
(b) an adult in California
(c) a child in California
(d) an adult in China
3. In Honolulu, what does Kingston's friend, the dancer, report about Kingston's ancestral village?
(a) the people are housed and fed
(b) the people in the village are ignorant and lazy
(c) family members had been forced out to build apartments
(d) the people greeted her with a parade
4. What is Tang Ao doing when he meets the Queen?
(a) having a meal with the queen's court
(b) playing an instrument
(c) putting jade studs into his ears
(d) serving a meal to the Queen's court
5. Which of the following from "The Ghostmate" shows that the young man is feeling guilty about not returning to his family?
(a) His wife would enjoy hearing about his lucky night.
(b) The young husband should have hinted for some leftovers to bring home.
(c) He asks, "Do you live alone?"
(d) Instead he feeds like a zoo animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kingston show that the main character is enjoying his feast with the woman of the house in "The Ghostmate"?
2. Why is there a communal dining room at the Chinese village where Kingston's ancestors lived?
3. Which is the setting for Kingston's biography of great grandfather Bak Goong in "The Great Grandfather of Sandalwood Mountains"?
4. Who is the author speaking or writing to in the beginning of "The Father from China"?
5. What is the last thing the women do to prepare Tang to meet the queen?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)