|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Ghostmate, what imagery does Kingston use when the main character arrives at the house?
(a) The green and black trees twist and turn.
(b) The music that accompanies the young man turns dark.
(c) The storm dies when the young man knocks at a gate.
(d) A bolt of lightning illuminates the young man at the door.
2. What do the women do to help stir the cool female winds inside Tang's body?
(a) unwrap the bindings from Tang's feet
(b) giveTang tea with white chrysanthemums
(c) make Tang sit in the rain and wind
(d) make Tang wash the bandages used to bind his feet
3. How does Father acknowledge that he recognizes the children?
(a) He waves his hands and smiles broadly.
(b) He turned around and walked the other direction.
(c) He salutes them with one finger touching his hat.
(d) He picks up the pace of his walk to a jog.
4. To what does the narrator in "The Ghostmate" compare the woman's hair?
(a) a light-colored dress
(b) follows her retreating back
(c) long black tail alive
(d) lumps of peacocks
5. What does Ah Goong, BaBa's father, do with BaBa that horrifies the family?
(a) Ah Goong sang girl songs to BaBa.
(b) Ah Goong trades BaBa for a neighbor's girl baby.
(c) Ah Goong jumped on BaBa's stomach for hours.
(d) Ah Goong climbed high up to a second floor window to watch BaBa be born.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which best describes the author when she sends money to her cousin in China?
2. What metaphor does Tang use to compare his bandages hanging to dry?
3. What does Ah Po show BaBa's brothers to explain that he is different from them?
4. Who are the children referring to when they call out, "BaBa!"?
5. Which of the following is an example of a simile used in "The Ghostmate"?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)