|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alaska China Men.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the basketmen stop working in autumn?
(a) Men do not have the right clothes
(b) The baskets would fall apart because of age
(c) The season is a Chinese holiday
(d) The winds are too high to work at high elevation
2. What is happening on the East Coast at the same time as the Central Pacific is forging through the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the West?
(a) The U.S. Civil War
(b) The Revolutionary War
(c) World War I
(d) The French and Indian War
3. From what point of view is "On Fathers" written?
(a) third--person omniscient
(b) first-person observer
(c) first-person narrative
(d) third-person limited
4. Which best describes the setting of "On Fathers"?
(a) a farm in rural area
(b) a street in Stockton, CA
(c) the author's yard
5. Why does the young man enter the house of the young widow?
(a) He is being chased by dogs.
(b) He is lonely and seeks companionship.
(c) He is selling wares door-to-door
(d) He seeks shelter from a storm along the mountain path.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the woman in "The Ghostmate" get her visitors to stay longer than they intend to?
2. What is an immortal?
3. What does Ah Goong say about working in the tunnels?
4. To what does the narrator in "The Ghostmate" compare the woman's hair?
5. What is the meaning of the word hastening in the opening lines of "On Fathers"?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)