|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following has not contributed to Karen's despair?
2. What are Karen and Martha hoping to avoid?
3. Most people tend to destroy something __________________.
4. Who arrives unexpectedly at the Tilford house?
5. Why do Rosalie's parents want her away from the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is set in the 1930s during a time of The Great Depression and sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on her work, especially the play, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the play. Identify at least two themes in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Martha. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)