|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Karen and Martha find flaws in Mary's story?
2. What has forced Martha to examine her feelings for Karen?
3. To what can Mary's malicious destruction be compared?
4. It is safe to say that Mary ______________________.
5. The trial had been publicized _____________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is set in the 1930s during a time of The Great Depression and sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on her work, especially the play, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of married women in the 1930s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1930s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that twenty-first century women do not have?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)