|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of charges is Mary making against the headmistresses?
2. What does Karen ask Dr. Cardin when they are alone?
3. With what theme does the author end the play?
4. Why do Rosalie's parents want her away from the school?
5. In what room does Act 3 begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hellman uses more than one instance of irony in the play. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1930s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1930s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Hellman use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)