|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Karen reluctantly agree to allow in the house?
2. Karen and Martha find it hard to ______________________.
3. What happens when Karen and Martha find flaws in Mary's story?
4. Which of the following does Mrs. Tilford not offer to Karen?
5. How have Karen and Martha behaved since the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play when THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Hellman uses more than one instance of irony in the play. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)