|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has forced Martha to examine her feelings for Karen?
2. How does Karen respond to Mrs. Tilford's offers?
3. What does Karen know about Dr. Cardin at this point in time?
4. What does Martha beg Karen to do when she realizes Dr. Cardin is gone?
5. What makes the only noise in the school now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is set in the 1930s during a time of The Great Depression and sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on her work, especially the play, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Karen, Mary and Mrs. Tilford. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)