|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karen realize when Dr. Cardin says he really wants to ask the question about her relationship with Martha?
2. Who questions Mary again about her story?
3. Why does Rosalie have permission to stay at the Tilford home?
4. What guest is expected at the Tilford home?
5. To what can Mary's malicious destruction be compared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is set in the 1930s during a time of The Great Depression and sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on her work, especially the play, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1930s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1930s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
As educators, Karen and Martha have many things in common but are also different in many ways. Compare and contrast Karen and Martha. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)