|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary blackmail Rosalie?
2. What is Rosalie's demeanor when she enters the living room?
3. What has forced Martha to examine her feelings for Karen?
4. What does Mrs. Tilford tell Dr. Cardin about his marriage to Karen?
5. It is safe to say that Mary ______________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Karen. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)