|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be the source of Mary's behavioral problems?
2. What arouses Mrs. Tilford's suspicions about Mary's accusations?
3. Which girl does Mrs. Mortar chastise for tardiness?
4. In what room of the school does the play begin?
5. Karen tells Martha that her ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agatha suspicious of Mary's behavior?
2. How do Karen and Martha behave in the aftermath of the libel trial?
3. What is the setting for Act 3?
4. What is the irony in Mrs. Mortar's name?
5. How does Mrs. Tilford initially respond to Mary's accusations against Karen and Marth?
6. How does Mrs. Tilford respond when she realizes that Mary has arrived unexpectedly?
7. How does Mary get caught in her ploy to win over Mrs. Mortar?
8. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
9. How does Act 1 end?
10. What does Mrs. Tilford do after she is finished speaking with Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)