|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claims does Mary make?
2. With whom does Karen discuss Mary's disruptive behavior?
3. In what month of the year does Act 1 open?
4. Which of the following are the girls not doing at the play begins?
5. Who does Mary say she misses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Karen, Martha and Dr. Cardin questioning Mary?
2. What has prompted Martha to think about her true feelings for Karen?
3. How does Martha come to tell Karen that she really does have loving feelings toward her?
4. What is the setting for Act 3?
5. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
6. What can be presumed about the source of Mary's cunning behavior?
7. Given Mary's behavior so far in the play, what type of home would the reader believe she had been raised in?
8. What does Mary symbolize in this good vs. evil drama?
9. How does Mary react when she learns that she is being sent back to school?
10. How far reaching are the effects of Mary's malicious behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Martha. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Hellman use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play when THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)