|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do upon hearing her punishment?
2. Mrs. Tilford's demeanor can be characterized as ______________.
3. What type of building houses the school?
4. How many acts are in THE CHILDREN'S HOUR?
5. What was the topic of THE CRUCIBLE?
Short Essay Questions
1. Given Mary's behavior so far in the play, what type of home would the reader believe she had been raised in?
2. How does Mrs. Tilford begin to take Mary's accusations seriously?
3. The parents get caught up in the fever of Mary's accusations and Mrs. Tilford's phone calls and neglect to do one thing. What is that one thing?
4. How does Act 1 begin?
5. How does Mary get caught in her ploy to win over Mrs. Mortar?
6. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
7. What does Karen say in response to Mrs. Tilford's apology?
8. How far reaching are the effects of Mary's malicious behavior?
9. Who greets Mary when she arrives at the Tilford home?
10. What is the irony in Mrs. Mortar's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is a classic story of good versus evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)