|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tilford declare about Mary?
2. The school was founded by ___________________.
3. Who is Mrs. Munn?
4. Who is the other woman who founded the school?
5. What type of building houses the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tilford tell Dr. Cardin that he feels is out of place regarding his personal life?
2. Why is Martha especially glad to see Mrs. Mortar, who has returned from Europe?
3. How does Act 1 end?
4. What does Karen say in response to Mrs. Tilford's apology?
5. How does Martha come to tell Karen that she really does have loving feelings toward her?
6. How do Karen and Martha behave in the aftermath of the libel trial?
7. How does Mrs. Tilford respond when she realizes that Mary has arrived unexpectedly?
8. What is the irony in Mrs. Mortar's name?
9. How does Mary get caught in her ploy to win over Mrs. Mortar?
10. What does Dr. Cardin do that makes Karen know she cannot marry him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Hellman use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is set in the 1930s during a time of The Great Depression and sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on her work, especially the play, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Explain.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)