|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Munn?
2. Mrs. Tilford conducts herself with no hint of _____________________.
3. Who does Mary coerce for money?
4. What do Karen and Martha decide about Mary?
5. In what state does THE CHILDREN'S HOUR take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary pull Rosalie into the questioning about the headmistresses?
2. What is the setting for THE CHILDREN'S HOUR?
3. How does Mary Tilford try to get on Mrs. Mortar's good side?
4. How does Mrs. Tilford initially respond to Mary's accusations against Karen and Marth?
5. How does Mrs. Tilford respond when she realizes that Mary has arrived unexpectedly?
6. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
7. How do Karen and Martha behave in the aftermath of the libel trial?
8. How is Mary's behavior likened to the behavior of the girls in THE CRUCIBLE?
9. What does Mrs. Tilford tell Dr. Cardin that he feels is out of place regarding his personal life?
10. Why does the author set the story of good vs. evil in a small town in Massachusetts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is a classic story of good versus evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
As educators, Karen and Martha have many things in common but are also different in many ways. Compare and contrast Karen and Martha. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)