|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Tilford react to Mary's visit?
2. What is the name of the school in THE CHILDREN'S HOUR?
3. Karen tells Martha that her ________________________.
4. Which girl does Mrs. Mortar chastise for tardiness?
5. In what state does the action in THE CRUCIBLE take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing in showing Martha's character traits in Act 1?
2. What is Dr. Cardin's reaction when he hears Mary's allegations from Mrs. Tilford?
3. How does Mary get caught in her ploy to win over Mrs. Mortar?
4. Why was the play considered controversial at the time it was written?
5. What is the reason Karen and Martha go to Mrs. Tilford's house?
6. Who greets Mary when she arrives at the Tilford home?
7. How does Karen react to Mrs. Tilford's arrival at the school?
8. What is the irony in Mrs. Mortar's name?
9. Why is Agatha suspicious of Mary's behavior?
10. What can be presumed about the source of Mary's cunning behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is a classic story of good versus evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hellman uses more than one instance of irony in the play. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)