Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Mortar's home?
2. What does Mary give to Mrs. Mortar?
3. How much money does Mary have to complete her expedition?
4. In what month of the year does Act 1 open?
5. Who questions Mary upon her arrival at the Tilford house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the topic of lesbianism viewed at the time this play was written in the 1930s?
2. How does Mary manage to blackmail Rosalie?
3. What does Dr. Cardin do that makes Karen know she cannot marry him.
4. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Mrs. Tilford do after she is finished speaking with Mary?
6. What is the setting for Act 3?
7. Explain the impact that the trial has had on Karen and Martha's careers.
8. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
9. What is the reason Karen and Martha go to Mrs. Tilford's house?
10. What is the irony in Mrs. Mortar's name?
Essay Topic 1
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is set in the 1930s during a time of The Great Depression and sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on her work, especially the play, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play when THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)