|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the girls heard coming from the bedroom door?
2. How much money does Mary have to complete her expedition?
3. Why is Mary prone to exaggeration?
4. What does Dr. Cardin tell Mary she must stop doing?
5. What does Mrs. Mortar say to Martha in retaliation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Martha especially glad to see Mrs. Mortar, who has returned from Europe?
2. What does Karen say in response to Mrs. Tilford's apology?
3. What is the most tragic irony of the whole play?
4. How does Mrs. Tilford begin to take Mary's accusations seriously?
5. What does Mary claim that the girls at school have witnessed regarding Karen and Martha?
6. Who greets Mary when she arrives at the Tilford home?
7. How do Karen and Martha behave in the aftermath of the libel trial?
8. What has prompted Martha to think about her true feelings for Karen?
9. How does Mrs. Tilford react when Martha threatens to sue her for libel?
10. How does Act 1 begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As educators, Karen and Martha have many things in common but are also different in many ways. Compare and contrast Karen and Martha. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is a classic story of good versus evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)