|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary go when she runs away from the school?
2. What does Mrs. Tilford declare about Mary?
3. What claims does Mary make?
4. How does Mrs. Tilford respond to Mary's exaggerations?
5. The school was founded by ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary get caught in her ploy to win over Mrs. Mortar?
2. What does Mary symbolize in this good vs. evil drama?
3. What is the result of Karen, Martha and Dr. Cardin questioning Mary?
4. Who greets Mary when she arrives at the Tilford home?
5. What does Mrs. Tilford tell Dr. Cardin that he feels is out of place regarding his personal life?
6. How does Mrs. Mortar react when she learns that she is to be sent back to London?
7. Where has Mary gone after leaving the school in anger?
8. Why does the author set the story of good vs. evil in a small town in Massachusetts?
9. How does Act 1 end?
10. How does Mary react when she learns that she is being sent back to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is a classic story of good versus evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Martha. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)