|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the topic of THE CRUCIBLE?
2. What does Mary give to Mrs. Mortar?
3. What was Mrs. Mortar's former profession?
4. When is Mary to be taken back to school?
5. What role does evil serve in good vs. evil dramas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
2. Given Mary's behavior so far in the play, what type of home would the reader believe she had been raised in?
3. How does Martha come to tell Karen that she really does have loving feelings toward her?
4. Why are the adults not concerned about Mary's "heart attack"?
5. What does Mrs. Tilford do after she is finished speaking with Mary?
6. How does Act 1 end?
7. What does Karen say in response to Mrs. Tilford's apology?
8. How is Mary's destructive behavior comparable to the effects of acid?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing in showing Mary's character traits in Act 1?
10. What does Mary claim that the girls at school have witnessed regarding Karen and Martha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
As educators, Karen and Martha have many things in common but are also different in many ways. Compare and contrast Karen and Martha. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is a classic story of good versus evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)