Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Mortar's home?
2. What does Mary give to Mrs. Mortar?
3. How much money does Mary have to complete her expedition?
4. In what month of the year does Act 1 open?
5. Who questions Mary upon her arrival at the Tilford house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the topic of lesbianism viewed at the time this play was written in the 1930s?
2. How does Mary manage to blackmail Rosalie?
3. What does Dr. Cardin do that makes Karen know she cannot marry him.
4. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Mrs. Tilford do after she is finished speaking with Mary?
6. What is the setting for Act 3?
7. Explain the impact that the trial has had on Karen and Martha's careers.
8. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
9. What is the reason Karen and Martha go to Mrs. Tilford's house?
10. What is the irony in Mrs. Mortar's name?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the bracelet that Rosalie has borrowed and not yet returned. What does it signify? What role does it play in the drama? Why did the author choose this item?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Mrs Tilford. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)