|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary say she misses?
2. Who is the second person Mrs. Tilford calls to talk about Karen and Martha's behavior?
3. Who is Mrs. Tilford's maid?
4. What punishment does Karen inflict on Mary?
5. Why is Mary prone to exaggeration?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary manage to blackmail Rosalie?
2. What does Mrs. Tilford's demeanor seem to be?
3. How does Act 1 begin?
4. How is Mary's destructive behavior comparable to the effects of acid?
5. What is the result of Karen, Martha and Dr. Cardin questioning Mary?
6. What is Dr. Cardin's reaction when he hears Mary's allegations from Mrs. Tilford?
7. How does Martha come to tell Karen that she really does have loving feelings toward her?
8. What is the setting for THE CHILDREN'S HOUR?
9. What are the circumstances of Martha's suicide?
10. Who are the founders of the Wright-Dobie School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good versus evil. Identify at least two characters who embody both good and evil and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1930s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1930s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)