|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary has a history of _________________.
2. Why does Joe visit with Mary?
3. Mrs. Tilford conducts herself with no hint of _____________________.
4. Mrs. Tilford's demeanor can be characterized as ______________.
5. Who is the other woman who founded the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Mrs. Tilford come to the school?
2. What is the most tragic irony of the whole play?
3. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How do Karen and Martha behave in the aftermath of the libel trial?
5. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
6. What is the "witch hunt" upon which Mary has embarked?
7. How far reaching are the effects of Mary's malicious behavior?
8. How does Martha come to tell Karen that she really does have loving feelings toward her?
9. How does Mary react when she learns her punishment for her cunning behavior?
10. How does Mary manage to blackmail Rosalie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1930s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1930s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that twenty-first century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)