|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary say she misses?
2. What is the name of the school in THE CHILDREN'S HOUR?
3. How have the witnesses viewed the inappropriate behavior?
4. Karen tells Martha that her ________________________.
5. What has Dr. Cardin asked Mrs. Mortar to do which irritates her?
Short Essay Questions
1. The parents get caught up in the fever of Mary's accusations and Mrs. Tilford's phone calls and neglect to do one thing. What is that one thing?
2. What can be presumed about the source of Mary's cunning behavior?
3. What is the result of Karen, Martha and Dr. Cardin questioning Mary?
4. How is Mary's destructive behavior comparable to the effects of acid?
5. How does Martha come to tell Karen that she really does have loving feelings toward her?
6. What is the reason Karen and Martha go to Mrs. Tilford's house?
7. What information does Karen share about herself and Mrs. Mortar that agitates Martha?
8. How does Mary pull Rosalie into the questioning about the headmistresses?
9. How does Act 1 end?
10. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Hellman use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play when THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)