|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do when she learns that she will be separated from her friends?
2. What does Mary do upon hearing her punishment?
3. What punishment does Karen inflict on Mary?
4. What does Mrs. Mortar say to Martha in retaliation?
5. Who is Mrs. Munn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the adults behave in such a way that only validates Mary's malicious behavior?
2. What can be presumed about the source of Mary's cunning behavior?
3. How does Act 1 end?
4. What does Mrs. Tilford's demeanor seem to be?
5. What is the setting for Act 3?
6. What is the "witch hunt" upon which Mary has embarked?
7. How does the author end the story on a hopeful note?
8. How is Mary's destructive behavior comparable to the effects of acid?
9. How far reaching are the effects of Mary's malicious behavior?
10. How does Mary react when she learns that she is being sent back to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1930s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1930s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Karen, Mary and Mrs. Tilford. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the bracelet that Rosalie has borrowed and not yet returned. What does it signify? What role does it play in the drama? Why did the author choose this item?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)