|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters the room and states that Mary had found the flowers in a trashcan?
2. Who raised Mary?
3. Who questions Mary upon her arrival at the Tilford house?
4. Who is one of the people Mrs. Tilford calls to talk about Karen and Martha's behavior?
5. In what month of the year does Act 1 open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has prompted Martha to think about her true feelings for Karen?
2. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
3. Given Mary's behavior so far in the play, what type of home would the reader believe she had been raised in?
4. Who greets Mary when she arrives at the Tilford home?
5. How does the author end the story on a hopeful note?
6. What is Dr. Cardin's reaction when he hears Mary's allegations from Mrs. Tilford?
7. How does Mary react when she learns that she is being sent back to school?
8. How far reaching are the effects of Mary's malicious behavior?
9. What is the result of Karen, Martha and Dr. Cardin questioning Mary?
10. How is Mary's destructive behavior comparable to the effects of acid?
Essay Topic 1
Evil takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Hellman use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Mary. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)