Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Mortar's home?
2. What does Mary give to Mrs. Mortar?
3. How much money does Mary have to complete her expedition?
4. In what month of the year does Act 1 open?
5. Who questions Mary upon her arrival at the Tilford house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the topic of lesbianism viewed at the time this play was written in the 1930s?
2. How does Mary manage to blackmail Rosalie?
3. What does Dr. Cardin do that makes Karen know she cannot marry him.
4. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Mrs. Tilford do after she is finished speaking with Mary?
6. What is the setting for Act 3?
7. Explain the impact that the trial has had on Karen and Martha's careers.
8. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
9. What is the reason Karen and Martha go to Mrs. Tilford's house?
10. What is the irony in Mrs. Mortar's name?
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good versus evil. Identify at least two characters who embody both good and evil and then cite an example to support your answers.
The author uses more than one theme in the play. Identify at least two themes in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)