|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Agatha view Mary when she arrives unexpectedly?
2. Karen tells Martha that her ________________________.
3. What does Mary symbolize in the play?
4. Who is the woman who monitors the study room?
5. Mary has a history of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing in showing Mary's character traits in Act 1?
2. What can be presumed about the source of Mary's cunning behavior?
3. How does Mary react when she learns her punishment for her cunning behavior?
4. What does Dr. Cardin do that makes Karen know she cannot marry him.
5. How does Mary Tilford try to get on Mrs. Mortar's good side?
6. How does Mrs. Tilford begin to take Mary's accusations seriously?
7. Who are the founders of the Wright-Dobie School?
8. How does Karen react to Mrs. Tilford's arrival at the school?
9. How does Act 1 begin?
10. Who greets Mary when she arrives at the Tilford home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1930s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1930s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the play. Identify at least two themes in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Evil takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)