|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martha asks Dr. Cardin to speak to _______________ about Mary's behavior.
2. Who does Mary coerce for money?
3. Mrs. Tilford's demeanor can be characterized as ______________.
4. Who is the second person Mrs. Tilford calls to talk about Karen and Martha's behavior?
5. What does Martha tell Mrs. Mortar that hurts Mrs. Mortar's feelings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the founders of the Wright-Dobie School?
2. How does Act 1 begin?
3. How does the author end the story on a hopeful note?
4. What is the "witch hunt" upon which Mary has embarked?
5. To what work of Arthur Miller's is Mary's character compared?
6. What is the result of Karen, Martha and Dr. Cardin questioning Mary?
7. Why is Agatha suspicious of Mary's behavior?
8. Why does the author set the story of good vs. evil in a small town in Massachusetts?
9. The parents get caught up in the fever of Mary's accusations and Mrs. Tilford's phone calls and neglect to do one thing. What is that one thing?
10. How is Mary's behavior likened to the behavior of the girls in THE CRUCIBLE?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the play. Identify at least two themes in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is set in the 1930s during a time of The Great Depression and sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on her work, especially the play, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Explain.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)