|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mary, who knows about the behavior of Karen and Martha?
2. What was Mrs. Mortar's former profession?
3. What role does evil serve in good vs. evil dramas?
4. What does Mrs. Mortar say to Martha in retaliation?
5. What punishment does Karen inflict on Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agatha suspicious of Mary's behavior?
2. How does Mary react when she learns that she is being sent back to school?
3. What does Mrs. Tilford do after she is finished speaking with Mary?
4. What do Martha and Mrs. Mortar not realize during their argument?
5. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
6. Who are the founders of the Wright-Dobie School?
7. How do Karen and Martha behave in the aftermath of the libel trial?
8. How does Mary react when she learns her punishment for her cunning behavior?
9. Why has Mrs. Tilford come to the school?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing in showing Martha's character traits in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evil takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
As educators, Karen and Martha have many things in common but are also different in many ways. Compare and contrast Karen and Martha. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play when THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)