|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Tilford initially respond to Mary's accusations?
2. Who is the other woman who founded the school?
3. What seems to be the source of Mary's behavioral problems?
4. How does Mrs. Tilford react to Mary's visit?
5. What type of building houses the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Karen and Martha go to Mrs. Tilford's house?
2. Who greets Mary when she arrives at the Tilford home?
3. Given Mary's behavior so far in the play, what type of home would the reader believe she had been raised in?
4. Why is Rosalie coming to spend the night at the Tilford home?
5. What is the result of Karen, Martha and Dr. Cardin questioning Mary?
6. How does Act 1 end?
7. What are the circumstances of Martha's suicide?
8. Why has Mrs. Tilford come to the school?
9. What is the "witch hunt" upon which Mary has embarked?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing in showing Martha's character traits in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is set in the 1930s during a time of The Great Depression and sexual repression. What impact did these two factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on her work, especially the play, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the play. Identify at least two themes in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)